Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Condo - Shared charging ideas?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I currently live in a Condo with an EV Charger in the guest spot that is not operational. The HOA is looking into installing something else. The power is connected to the HOA's panel in the garage, so some kind of 3rd party billing would have to be setup.

I was thinking of a company that has an RFID card residents can use. Basically like a Charge Point, but hopefully something cheaper as I don't think Chargepoint is very cost effective. Any ideas?

Building management at my office uses this company to manage EVSE solution:

EV Charging Stations - SemaConnect Network

Still a bit more expensive than I think it should be... We have 8 EVSE devices that are being used on per hour billing basis. $1.50/hr for the first 3 hrs, then it gets ridiculously expensive, as they are trying to discourage ppl from using spots for too long. These are 6.6Kwh or even 7.2kwh devices (not sure, as I drive Volt currently, which charges at 3.3kwh max). Getting my MS70 soon, so will check charging speed then! :)

Good luck!

For a condo situation, the AV TurboDock could work well for overnight charging. At 16 amps it's not that great for guests to pick up a charge while visiting, but for overnight it would be good. It also has smartphone access control by Bluetooth, so I don't think there are any network monthly fees.

Last edited:
I was thinking about this yesterday when reading about SolarCity's all-in-one energy solutions on sale in Hawaii. I assume they'll be coming up with a condo community charging solution fairly quickly now that net metering for solar is getting so complex.

5 years down the line it would be nice to leave cars plugged in and have smart charging that's linked to the condo buildings overall grid-tied smart solar setup. Maybe a micro-grid setup with a battery bank. Dump charge into EVs when solar is over-producing, then to batteries, then lastly to the grid. Theoretically you could reverse all those things too if you were an ultra-green condo association.

I currently live in a Condo with an EV Charger in the guest spot that is not operational. The HOA is looking into installing something else. The power is connected to the HOA's panel in the garage, so some kind of 3rd party billing would have to be setup.

I was thinking of a company that has an RFID card residents can use. Basically like a Charge Point, but hopefully something cheaper as I don't think Chargepoint is very cost effective. Any ideas?

What it is about ChargePoint that you think is not cost-effective? The initial installation cost? or the per hour charging fee?

The reason I ask is, ChargePoint is very common in our area, at least, so there would some advantage to users not to have to get a separate card/account for the condo.
Also, I looked into this a bit for my own condo association. ChargePoint told me that they do not charge anything to the property owner unless the owner/landlord wants to assess a fee for the electricity. In that case, I was told ChargePoint takes 10% as their fee. And the rate charged per kWh is up to the owner. So the owner (in this case, a condo association) can either just pass through the utility's costs or can set the cost to make a profit (and thus offset the installation cost, ChargePoint's fee, and any other costs).

I am not advocating ChargePoint and have no stake in it. And I assume that other companies mentioned in this thread probably have competitive service offerings. But was curious what the objection is.

What it is about ChargePoint that you think is not cost-effective? The initial installation cost? or the per hour charging fee?

The reason I ask is, ChargePoint is very common in our area, at least, so there would some advantage to users not to have to get a separate card/account for the condo.
Also, I looked into this a bit for my own condo association. ChargePoint told me that they do not charge anything to the property owner unless the owner/landlord wants to assess a fee for the electricity. In that case, I was told ChargePoint takes 10% as their fee. And the rate charged per kWh is up to the owner. So the owner (in this case, a condo association) can either just pass through the utility's costs or can set the cost to make a profit (and thus offset the installation cost, ChargePoint's fee, and any other costs).

I am not advocating ChargePoint and have no stake in it. And I assume that other companies mentioned in this thread probably have competitive service offerings. But was curious what the objection is.

ChargePoint is the most expensive option of all. Highest equipment costs, high installation costs, $280 annual fee, and 10% of whatever your fee is. The reason you see them everywhere is because a business can write-off up to $30K off their taxes so, essentially, they're free. Condos can't do that.

Eaton also has an RFID Fob option or credit card billing on their EVSE's

I am aware, but need to figure out 3rd party billing somehow. Also, I think it's really expensive to have them come in and change them out. I was quote $750 to even have a tech come out. Also Eaton no longer supports commercial charging stations, so we are SOL there.

Last edited:
The reason you see them everywhere is because a business can write-off up to $30K off their taxes so, essentially, they're free.

Can you please explain the math that leads to "free"? I thought it was 30% (not $30K) federal credit, which on an expensive install is a good chunk of money, but the remaining 70% is an ever bigger chunk of money...
What am I missing?

Can you please explain the math that leads to "free"? I thought it was 30% (not $30K) federal credit, which on an expensive install is a good chunk of money, but the remaining 70% is an ever bigger chunk of money...
What am I missing?

Oops, my bad. The 30% applies to the business tax credit up to $30K and personal up to $1K. I thought the business tax credit was a straight write-off, but it's not.

- - - Updated - - -

I am aware, but need to figure out 3rd party billing somehow. Also, I think it's really expensive to have them come in and change them out. I was quote $750 to even have a tech come out. Also Eaton no longer supports commercial charging stations, so we are SOL there.

The JuiceBox can bill though Pay with PlugShare, but you'll have to pay a little extra for the Stripe fees--30 cents per charge or $12/mon flat rate. Plus the $350 annual fee to eMotorWerks.

Is 3rd party billing really required? The JuiceBox will keep historical data for up to 6 months. A couple of times a year you and/or the Assn could look at how much power each person used and multiply it by the rate. That doesn't sound like much of an administrative hassle for the Assn.

The JuiceBox uses a smartphone app rather than an RFID card.

The JuiceBox can bill though Pay with PlugShare, but you'll have to pay a little extra for the Stripe fees--30 cents per charge or $12/mon flat rate. Plus the $350 annual fee to eMotorWerks.

Is 3rd party billing really required? The JuiceBox will keep historical data for up to 6 months. A couple of times a year you and/or the Assn could look at how much power each person used and multiply it by the rate. That doesn't sound like much of an administrative hassle for the Assn.

The JuiceBox uses a smartphone app rather than an RFID card.

We can either do 3rd party billing, or convince the HOA or someone to do the billing themselves. JuiceBox seems like the best deal so far, it's like $1300, and it has historical data you can keep track of individual users, and we can do the billing ourselves.

We can either do 3rd party billing, or convince the HOA or someone to do the billing themselves. JuiceBox seems like the best deal so far, it's like $1300, and it has historical data you can keep track of individual users, and we can do the billing ourselves.

I no longer recommend the commercial JuiceBox for this. As it turns out, they have neither third-party billing nor multi-user support as they stated. Unfortunately, I found this out after installation. Coming soon, they say . . .

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo