Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Condo winter charging question.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Moved to a condo and have no plug in available. There’s a supercharger 2 mins away though. This morning it’s 0 Celsius and the battery is cold. I plan to go charge up before I leave for my office this afternoon. Problem is the precondition setting doesn’t turn on the bacon battery heater at this temp and so while the cabin warms, the battery maintains the snowflake. I went to the car and put the sc in the nav, pressed the brake pedal to get the preconditioning to start and went back inside for a coffee. That as it turns out, shuts off too.

So, how do I on cold mornings, and they’re only gonna get colder, actually warm my battery before going to charge? There has to be a way to trick the car into thinking it’s enroute to the SC even if stopped.

Preconditioning the cabin will heat the battery, if it's udner the target active heating temp. Seems that temp has changed in various software versions. It used to target 20C (70F) but is now lower. I think it's better lower, less wasteful. Your only option is to navigate to the supercharger if you intend to charge there but that needs you to be in drive i think. Otherwise, the car will heat at the SuC but will charge a bit slower.

Reactions: KenC
Warm your battery up via the drive home and stop at the supercharger in the evening instead of in the mornings. The cold mornings are the worst time to plug in because that large metal battery pack has been exposed all night and cold soaked.
Yep. Absolutely my go to strategy. My concern is if I need a charge after it’s been sitting. There does not seem to be a way to actually precondition the battery unless you’re enroute to a supercharger.

Reactions: cdswm3