TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Confessions of a Speed Addict

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by lorih, Sep 26, 2014.

Tags:
  1. lorih

lorih Member

OK, so a few years back, when I was still driving I was the person that many of you hate. I drove a hybrid car in the right hand lane with cruise control set at 55 because "air turbulence is non-linear above 60MPH, and I was trying to burn the least fossil fuel and 'limit' my carbon footprint".

Now, with Tesla I am a speed junkie! As many of you know, I'm only a passenger these days, but I just wanted to document my evolution (all Model S):

July 2013: Top speed 104MPH with Metafor driving back from LA Tour d'Tesla to Silicon Valley on I5
    August 2014: Top speed 107MPH with Brianman driving (...in traffic on a freeway. I am legally obligated not to disclose location)
    September 6 2014: Top speed 111MPH on the track with driving instructor at Pacific Raceways Silent Thunder driving borrowed Model S
    September 6 2014: Top speed 118MPH with Brianman at Pacific Raceways Silent Thunder EV Drag Race

Anyone care to challenge Brianman? I have my own racing helmet now.

2. CatB

CatB Member

Um, I just want to hitch a ride :)

3. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I'll need a bit more vacation to make it to Maryland.

4. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

Hi Brianman, how are you? I mean I consider you as a friend but if you drive like this (118 MPH :scared:) I will never ask you a passage. It wouldn't be a safe passage IMO. :scared:

5. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

118mph on a drag strip (after the 1/4 mile line) isn't saying much.

Now 123mph in Utah OMW back from four corners, that's something else. ;)

6. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

LOL! :biggrin:

7. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

I am not into speed, but like rapid acceleration. Tesla has you covered there!

8. CatB

CatB Member

No worries, I can wait til TMC Connect 2015 :biggrin:

9. lorih

lorih Member

If you go to refuel you can borrow my helmet for one lap with Brianman. I get him for the rest

:)

10. Alysashley79

Alysashley79 Member

Lori. I knew I liked you from the moment I met you at silent thunder!!

I challenge brianman. 133 on a local highway It was early in the day no one should worry. No traffic was on the road yet.

11. lorih

lorih Member

133! Car is rated to 130. No pampering your baby, huh? Life is for living. Drive fast, drive safe, and have fun.

12. Alysashley79

Alysashley79 Member

#12 Alysashley79, Oct 8, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
    She gets pampered plenty! I had to make sure she could actually get to 130... But she kept going..131....132...133...and then I back her off and came back into this dimension.

13. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

I've beat all your speeds on the New Jersey Turnpike.

14. lorih

lorih Member

OK, so first one to get a Model D will beat everyone here, and definitely has to give me a ride.

15. Alysashley79

Alysashley79 Member

ok...what was your top speed....in the MS?.... ICE doesn't count.

And im with Lori...I'm itching for a ride in a PD...maybe even my own....

16. Denarius

Denarius Active Member

Is funny how the acceleration of the Model S reduced my need to hit high top speeds. The first thing I used to do with a new car (after the appropriate break in perod) was to max out the top speed. After over a year of ownership I've never maxed out my Model S, I have however come fairly close.