Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Configuration Conundrum: Option creep

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AudubonB

One can NOT induce accuracy via precision!
Mar 24, 2013
I have a problem, and I suspect I am not alone in possessing it.

Hello. My name is Audubon and I'm an option addict.

It is not that I never have seen an option I immediately must have. But I do have a tendency to rationalize, as follows: "Well, I don't need that nifty item or feature but when it's time to sell or trade in the Model X it is going to be that much {easier/more remunerative/etc.} than if I don't include it in the build".

What do you think? Is this foolish self-deception or is there at least some truth here? Are there some optional features that absolutely make a 3 or 4 or 6-year old vehicle easier to sell - and perhaps provide some utility along the way?

Off topic (already!), is there consensus, or even Is It Known, how long one can postpone responding to Tesla's invitation to configure? As I posted elsewhere, we received the invite today and, as usual, there is a potential timing problem - has to do with AZ vs AK delivery locations and a whole lot more. And I'm sure even TM has no good idea as to when they would be producing, most particularly because it seems 100% certain that higher-value Model Xs will continue to be pushed through before lesser-priced ones.

It is not that I never have seen an option I immediately must have. But I do have a tendency to rationalize, as follows: "Well, I don't need that nifty item or feature but when it's time to sell or trade in the Model X it is going to be that much {easier/more remunerative/etc.} than if I don't include it in the build".

What do you think? Is this foolish self-deception or is there at least some truth here? Are there some optional features that absolutely make a 3 or 4 or 6-year old vehicle easier to sell - and perhaps provide some utility along the way?

Off topic (already!), is there consensus, or even Is It Known, how long one can postpone responding to Tesla's invitation to configure? As I posted elsewhere, we received the invite today and, as usual, there is a potential timing problem - has to do with AZ vs AK delivery locations and a whole lot more. And I'm sure even TM has no good idea as to when they would be producing, most particularly because it seems 100% certain that higher-value Model Xs will continue to be pushed through before lesser-priced ones.
I had the same question, along with others and talked to a Tesla customer service rep. I said I wanted to wait until I (and my wife) could test drive one - likely in February or March when the Model Xs are in showrooms and likely wouldn't want to take delivery until June (similar geographic issue with Brooklyn/Michigan). She said, "no problem, take your time. order whenever you are ready." I wouldn't be surprised if they are backed up most of the way through Q2 with the slow ramp and 10k + 1k Signature and 8k production opened today. You just move down in the que.

As far as the option question...you bet. It is, "well, I'm in for $100k, what's another $2500 for hi-fidelity sound?"

I do this same thing with everything I buy. I often waver back in forth on what will be the best for resale plus what do I like. That is one of the reasons I am getting a black car (By far the easiest color to sell) and I decided to go with the tow package. Could be a deal breaker later on for someone willing to buy... So yes. What did I do? I got it fully loaded. Lol... In the end I will likely lose more in the options being discounted with age but at least I got to enjoy them and it wasn't such a hassle to sell the car. Those are my thoughts... Thanks for the post.

Why do you think there is a week between configuring and order confirmation? Do you ever hear of people removing options before their configuration finalizes? NO YOU DO NOT. People ADD options during that week.

We're all weak. Accept it and move on. Actually, just load it up on Day One and don't think about it any more.

I think buy the car you want and don't think about options resale value. The options will depreciate faster than the base car (as is evidenced by Tesla's resale value guarantee and the CPO listings). The P85s depreciated more rapidly than S60s, and most people look primarily at age and miles as those two factors have the greatest impact on battery life, remaining warranty, etc. Autopilot is probably the rare exception in that some buyers will only consider cars with autopilot hardware, but since it can be activated after the fact now that hardware is present in all Model S and Model X, it would only make sense to get autopilot if you think you are going to use it.

Personally the days of rocking out in the car at high volume are mostly behind me so I did not opt for the hi-fidelity sound. I also don't need ludicrous or even P90D speed, so skipped on that. I don't really put much value in the more expensive decors or larger wheels so skipped those options. Everything else seemed useful to me and although the premium upgrades didn't really feel like it was worth $4,500, that was one option I splurged on.

Personally, I don't think the options bring much at all in resale. I think the market at the time you decide to sell rules all, not the exact configuration. But I do think it's important for anybody to get exactly what they want, assuming they can afford it. That's more important than resale, IMO.

Another friend of mine, who received his invitation to configure his production X, configured it conservatively as a 90D. When he posted the config, he was teased mercilessly for not going full P90DL. The final day, he posted something about it and was teased again, at which point he posted "screw it..." and a picture of it going full ludicrous. :)

You will never make back the price of an option on the resale of that option. Never.

Buy what YOU want, if you want the option go for it, but don't pretend it will be worth it at resale time.

You can't postpone a Sig reservation/invitation but you can do it with production reservations. I have mine on hold (now almost 3 weeks) and have been assured I can keep postponing the invitation . Yeah, you all know why: Waiting for the folding second row seats....My wait could be lengthy.

You can't postpone a Sig reservation/invitation but you can do it with production reservations. I have mine on hold (now almost 3 weeks) and have been assured I can keep postponing the invitation . Yeah, you all know why: Waiting for the folding second row seats....My wait could be lengthy.
I decided to go with the 6 seater but hoping for folding seats up to the day of production. I will gladly eat the $500 if they give me the choice and come up with a good folding second row.