Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Configuration invite for Non-Day 1 Reservations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just noticed on my Tesla account that I was invited to configure both my M3 reservations - both reserved in April 2016 about 5 days apart. Current owner (multiple S and X). I didn't receive an email, just happened to click on the 'Manage" button next to one of the M3 reservations and was taken to the screen which says it's ready to be designed. I checked the 2nd reservation and it also is ready to be designed.

When clicking on the delivery estimator, it shows both reservations are 'Available now' for First Production but each has different windows for Standard Batter and Dual Motor. Previously the First Production window was Dec 2017 - Feb 2018 for both. Prior to that, it was Nov 2017 - Jan 2018 for the first one and Mar 2018 - Jun 2018 for the second one. About a month ago, the 2nd one got moved up to Dec 2017 - Feb 2018 for First Delivery, but he other dates remained the same.

So looks like they are starting to invite non-Day 1 Owner reservations. I'm in Ohio.

So check your account - you may have in invite waiting for you! :)

ehw1fqY.jpg

Jt2Y8b2.jpg

hgFv52S.jpg

Thanks for the heads up! I just checked and my late June 2016 reservation is ready to configure (owner, California). Before this the delivery estimator had been at Nov-Jan 2018 for First Production and I was already thinking that wasn’t going to happen, but it did.

I’ll be delaying my order so I can get white interior and standard range battery, but this is exciting!

Second reservation on 10/19/2016 won't allow configuration yet. First production shows Apr-Jun 2018. First one reserved as the reveal ended can be configured.

I'm wondering if it has something to do with the number of Model S or X vehicles owned? I thought I read somewhere that each S or X vehicle owned allowed for 1 priority 3 reservation (up to 2 priority reservations).

I wonder if we can 'hold our place' but then later buy the first production specs. I'd like it fully spec'd but want to wait until around May before purchasing.

Yes. You can hold for a number of reasons (later date, features not yet available, etc). If you go back in the the configuration screen, you can always change back to first available at any time. I read where someone else on the forum did that after they totaled their Model S, they changed their configuration from 'hold' to first available and received their car in a matter of days.

I find that surprising. I was day 1 or 2 (forget), got my S this past August, and live in Indiana. I show 4 week delivery if I pick a first production car.
Might have to do with higher percentage of CA owners/reservations and all delivery centers at capacity, so due to longer lines in CA people in other states that reserved later are getting their cars prior to some CA owners that reserved earlier.

This could translate into similar trend for non-owners where some 1st day reservations from CA can be left behind...