Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Configuration of 2 captains chairs and 6 seats is available now.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seat Interior Chosen

I just got off the phone with Tesla Motors. While they couldn't answer all my questions, they did respond to each one. The following italic numbered text was emailed to the advisor. The response in this font are my words based on the answers during the verbal phone call.

1. Will the individual 2nd row seats be closer to the design of the driver and passenger seat with a larger side edge towards the open carpet area so it is not cut off as it appears in the provided image.

The sales advisor did not have an answer about how much, if any seat expansion would occur on the center side. They have only the image provided to go on, so until the final product is seen, they cannot give an answer at this time.

2. Would the individual 2nd row seats have the same adjustments as the front seats? Fwd/Back of course, but what about the seat back recline or seat tilt? (If they are identical to the front bucket, would they have lumbar adjust?)

The 2nd row seats are NOT the front row seats. They are the same as the original 2nd bench without the center seat. They do move forward/backward and tilt down for extra cargo room. They do NOT recline. The movement would be the same as the 2nd row bench style seat, but are independently moveable.

3. Would the individual 2nd row seats have an armrest at the center side? Would if fold up?

There is NO armrest on the center side.

4. Would the individual 2nd row seat backs fold down forward, or is it like the original 2nd row bench seat or front seats that do not fold?

No folding of the seats, just like the 2nd row bench seat.

5. Optional: Is the center floor flat with no dips or bumps from any leftovers of the previous design?

In his opinion, Tesla will have a smooth floor where the center seat was located. Since they have not seen the final product, they cannot answer with 100% assurance (my words).

We chatted about the advantages and disadvantages of each choice. The major question is if the buyer needs seven seats or wants extra open floor space. The advisor has read my posts about my suggestion for the future and is going to pass that to the design group. He explained that our feedback in the last few weeks was the reason for the Six Seat Interior seating option. Tesla Motors is listening to their customers.

I did confirm a Six Seat Interior and I am pleased Tesla Motors offered the new interior option to those of us who had confirmed their orders over two weeks ago.

Last edited:
Tesla is way too dependent on early adopters and fanboys giving them slack--its an addiction that will hurt the company in the long run. Yes, they are thousands of people that will finalize sight unseen, but being dependent on that behavior will not help Tesla build the operational discipline and expertise to deal with the hundreds of thousands who will not.

I mentioned in another post how hard it is to get a reservation at some of those hot restaurants. In the end it's still the product not the marketing make or fail a company. No one would buy the X if it's not the very best even if Elon himself knock on the door begging. Yes I'm giving them the slack but it's far more important for them to put all their resources into the product than into "communication".

I just got off the phone with Tesla Motors. While they couldn't answer all my questions, they did respond to each one. The following italic numbered text was emailed to the advisor. The response in this font are my words based on the answers during the verbal phone call.

1. Will the individual 2nd row seats be closer to the design of the driver and passenger seat with a larger side edge towards the open carpet area so it is not cut off as it appears in the provided image.

The sales advisor did not have an answer about how much, if any seat expansion would occur on the center side. They have only the image provided to go on, so until the final product is seen, they cannot give an answer at this time.

2. Would the individual 2nd row seats have the same adjustments as the front seats? Fwd/Back of course, but what about the seat back recline or seat tilt? (If they are identical to the front bucket, would they have lumbar adjust?)

The 2nd row seats are NOT the front row seats. They are the same as the original 2nd bench without the center seat. They do move forward/backward and tilt down for extra cargo room. They do NOT recline. The movement would be the same as the 2nd row bench style seat, but are independently moveable.

3. Would the individual 2nd row seats have an arm rest at the center side? Would if fold up?

There is NO arm rest on the center side.

4. Would the individual 2nd row seat backs fold down forward, or is it like the original 2nd row bench seat or front seats that do not fold?

No folding of the seats, just like the 2nd row bench seat.

5. Optional: Is the center floor flat with no dips or bumps from any leftovers of the previous design?

In his opinion, Tesla will have a smooth floor where the center seat was located. Since they have not seen the final product, they cannot answer with 100% assurance (my words).

We chatted about the advantages and disadvantages of each choice. The major question is if the buyer needs seven seats or wants extra open floor space. The advisor has read my posts about my suggestion for the future and is going to pass that to the design group. He explained that our feedback in the last few weeks was the reason for the Six Seat Interior seating option. Tesla Motors is listening to their customers.

I did confirm a Six Seat Interior and I am pleased Tesla Motors offered the new interior option to those of us who had confirmed their orders over two weeks ago.

I wonder why no armrests.. Armrests make the seat much more comortable in my opinion.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, then I was told repeatedly I couldn't. Thanks to a friend, it got pushed up the chain and then I was told I could, and now this. I suspect things are mighty hectic at Tesla right now.

Kinda hard to hear that. It is too bad. Waiting three years on one side, then have the other say "hurry up" and not willing to wait a week is just poor-judgement. There really should be no need to 'push things up the command chain'. Employers need to Empower employees (they hired them after all ) to make common sense decisions.

Different resources. One doesn't exclude the other.

It does. It takes a lot of money and time to hire people who are good in their respective fields. That includes top engineers as well as experienced store clerks. Tesla apparently is not big enough to do everything like say Apple does but I'd give them slack long as they don't skimp on the engineering part.

Except not a lot of people pay $132,000 for a smart phone. :)

It's all relative. Someone who can put down $40k interest-free for three years for a car pre-order is in proportionately better finances than someone who pre-orders a $650 iPhone and lives near the poverty line and whose net worth is negative.

As I said the last time you posted this, no one said we would need to confirm with very little info either. By the time I needed to lock in my Model S I had an abundance of info. I first drove one about 6 months prior to actually accepting delivery. I was a signature reservation holder then as well. There was no reason to assume I'd be buying a mystery box this time around.

Initially, there was no precedent, you're right. But over time, it became increasingly clear that the MX was different (multiple Musk statements about how there would be no reveal for the MX, and a huge lack of information early on).

What's so wrong about deferring? If I'm not sure if I'll like a product, I won't pre-order it even though 95%+ of the time I'll still go through with the purchase. After a near three year delay of the MX, I doubt a deferral would make or break your car situation as the multiple delays would have already required keeping a purchased vehicle or re-leasing new vehicles.

It does. It takes a lot of money and time to hire people who are good in their respective fields.

Sorry, but that's irrelevant nonsense IMO. Tesla has a communications team, although the point is about letting folks know what they're configuring; if Tesla doesn't want to reveal details that's fine but they shouldn't be pushing anyone to imposed deadlines pre-reveal.

Got the call about an hour ago and was asked to make a decision by today. Tesla giveth, Tesla annoyeth.

This is the start of the "early bird" tax for the X. Aka the longer you wait to order the X the more options you'll get. Seems like they are rushing it out the door again same way they did the MX. I was really hoping to not see changes often for the X but geez I didn't expect something like this so fast. I would be prepared for anyone ordering now that they'll start offering more options every month or so. So if you order and configure early you'll miss out.

Last edited:
This is the start of the "early bird" tax for the X. Aka the longer you wait to order the X he more options you'll get. Seems like they are rushing it out the door again same way they did the MX. I was really hoping to not see changes often for the X but geez I didn't expect something like this so fast. I would be prepared for anyone ordering now that they'll start offering more options every month or so. So if you order and configure early you'll miss out.
So wait forever like waiting to get that new PC because there will be a better and faster one tomorrow.

Mostly makes sense to me, except I was told there was no timing change for 6 or 7 seat, so it would seem to me it doesn't make a difference.

I speculate again: that those who selected 7 seater (non-folding) will get the MX much earlier than 6 seater buyer. If my guess is correct, the 6 seater is a "promise" to the reservist, so as not to look bad in the shareholder meeting, and market news channel. 6 seater sure will come, but will be in "several months" time. I don't want to sound alarmist or pessimistic for those who selected the 6 seater, as I wish everyone well. If I were in the market for an SUV, MX 6 seater will be my choice too. :wink:

- - - Updated - - -

He explained that our feedback in the last few weeks was the reason for the Six Seat Interior seating option. Tesla Motors is listening to their customers.

This confirms my speculation that the 6 seater is a recent design option after 7 seater non-folding "customer displeasure". The simplified, removed the center seat may not take too much effort to change, but still it is a change that would require some work on the floor, and some beefing up of the seat pedestal because with the seats now disconnected, the sturdiness of the seat/pedestal has to be maintained.

I speculate again: that those who selected 7 seater (non-folding) will get the MX much earlier than 6 seater buyer. If my guess is correct, the 6 seater is a "promise" to the reservist, so as not to look bad in the shareholder meeting, and market news channel. 6 seater sure will come, but will be in "several months" time. I don't want to sound alarmist or pessimistic for those who selected the 6 seater, as I wish everyone well. If I were in the market for an SUV, MX 6 seater will be my choice too. :wink:
If they are only removing the middle seat, I don't think it will delay 6 seaters at all. Who knows? Maybe they will even be out before the 7 seaters.

If they are only removing the middle seat, I don't think it will delay 6 seaters at all. Who knows? Maybe they will even be out before the 7 seaters.
In regard to delays, CORRECT - NO DELAY. Those who don't read the whole thread miss out on the early communication with Tesla Motors. NO DELAY with either interior seat option. That is why they insisted we get our answers in today.

(original NO DELAY post here): Configuration of 2 captains chairs and 6 seats is available now. - Page 3

PS: This new option goes back about 10 days according to the advisor. The feedback from buyers got the attention of someone.

Last edited:
Nobody held a gun up to someone's head and stated "You MUST be the very first one to take delivery of this vehicle, or you will never get it at all!"

Nobody also is holding a gun up to someone's head and stating "You are no longer permitted to defer your order until you have more information".

Tesla has thousands of people who are more than willing to confirm without full info. For those who are not sure, they can defer, and it they're still not sure they can cancel. Deferring means you have access to every single tiny little detail about every single aspect of the MX.

It's no different than a Kickstarter campaign, the newest smartphone to come out, or any sort of pre-order for that matter.
I fully understand your sentiment as an investor and hence the tenor of your post. I imagine you could have a significant position in the company stocks related to its financial well being, but please consider that those who are "frustrated" do have some valid gripes, especially those that put in $40k and waited for 3 years are now being asked to confirm what they perceived as incomplete data. Every enthusiasts and owners of MS and Roadster wish Tesla to be successful for the sake of their "sank cost" in the vehicles. I feel that over 95% of the members in this forum all want Tesla to prosper and mature as the best BEV manufacturer. Some just express their message in different tones/style, such as full of forgiveness and tolerance for delays and performance versus others demanding timely delivery of product feature and published performance.

Last edited:

- - - Updated - - -

This confirms my speculation that the 6 seater is a recent design option after 7 seater non-folding "customer displeasure". The simplified, removed the center seat may not take too much effort to change, but still it is a change that would require some work on the floor, and some beefing up of the seat pedestal because with the seats now disconnected, the sturdiness of the seat/pedestal has to be maintained.

Someone got specific confirmation that the 6 seat option would not delay production. I think it was Mark Z.