Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Configure my tight garage for autopark/summon?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My garage is on the side which requires entering the garage at an angle before straightening out inside. All jokes aside, my wife has difficulty parking and reversing the X out of the garage properly for fear of hitting the side or not clearing the entrance. Using paint or tape, is there anything I can do to help autopark and summon along? My biggest fear is not the bumpers, but the side mirrors getting clipped by the garage entrance.

Frankly I would say she just needs to practice. A human driver behind the wheel is going to do much better in this type of scenario than a summons/autopark.

Put tape down well before the mirrors get close to the side of the garage. I have 2 sets of tape lines, one near the entrance to the garage and one further back. I back into the garage and ensure when the rear bumper is centered over the lines at the entrance, the projection lines on the rear camera are on the lines further back. From there it is just a matter of letting the car back slowly into the garage and keeping it centered on the rear line. If need be, you could fold in the side mirrors once you are lined up and use just the backup camera for the remaining backing up.

My wife prefers to eyeball it, but uses tape on the wall to tell her when to stop. Some people hang a tennis ball from the ceiling to let them know when to stop.

71F6EC2E-59EF-4EF6-8773-C699A0AA6BC0.jpeg
I also get nervous in my X if there is another car in the garage. I seem to do much better if I back into the garage and then pull out. I have my space marked on the ground.71F6EC2E-59EF-4EF6-8773-C699A0AA6BC0.jpeg

I also get nervous in my X if there is another car in the garage. I seem to do much better if I back into the garage and then pull out. I have my space marked on the ground.

Wow. That is the nicest looking garage floor I have ever seen!

I also back my X into the garage. Just seems to fit better and the HPWC is located on a post close to the house. So backing in makes the cable run very short and less of a tripping hazard.

Reactions: ModelX
My garage is on the side which requires entering the garage at an angle before straightening out inside. All jokes aside, my wife has difficulty parking and reversing the X out of the garage properly for fear of hitting the side or not clearing the entrance. Using paint or tape, is there anything I can do to help autopark and summon along? My biggest fear is not the bumpers, but the side mirrors getting clipped by the garage entrance.

There is a setting that makes the side view mirrors automatically fold when you reach your garage.