Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Configure Neurio meters to connect via home WIFI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Stand next to your neurio, power cycle it off. Wait a couple (2-3) minutes. The turn it on, wait for the tones, and keep trying to get into that address. If you aren't in in five minutes, power cycle and try again.

Sorry; I forgot one detail. You may need to change browsers. IIRC the installer's android phone couldn't get in on one browser, but then worked when he tried a second browser. Unfortunately, I don't remember which browsers he used. It is finicky. I do remember that it would not work with a private mode.

When you get it on to your WiFi SSID, as the neurio powers up and successfully logs in, it will chime a slightly different set of tones.

All the best,

BG

Okay got to a sign in, but can't log in. tried username:admin password:SERIALOFNEURIO. my serial number is 13 characters. Any ideas? Thanks

@007chief 👍👍

My serial number/password was 13 as well. All that I can think of are
a) Could it be a capitalization or zero vs capital "o" issue, or one vs lowercase "L"?
b) Could it be a browser issue? (Which one, cookies on, etc....?)

Again, I remember that it was finicky, but I don't have anything else in my notes. Sorry.

All the best,

BG

@007chief 👍👍

My serial number/password was 13 as well. All that I can think of are
a) Could it be a capitalization or zero vs capital "o" issue, or one vs lowercase "L"?
b) Could it be a browser issue? (Which one, cookies on, etc....?)

Again, I remember that it was finicky, but I don't have anything else in my notes. Sorry.

All the best,

BG
Thanks It is connected now. Looks like O vs 0 issue.
So now what? Should I start to see consumption data on the tesla app?

@007chief Congratulations!

I guess what is next rather depends on what the rest of your system is and what the neurio is measuring. Do you think it would be possible to share more of your configuration information?

All the best,

BG
I have a Delta Inverter (M10-TL-US). The Neurio is connected in the electric box and the connectors are around the main wires coming in from the utility meter.

So, I guess the question is to which cloud service is your neurio reporting and what app are you trying to use it with? I don't know how or where the neurio sends information if it isn't paired with a gateway. There is a process to pair the neurio with a gateway, but I don't know about Delta inverters. Sorry.

All the best,

BG

I upgraded to TP Link Deco WiFi 6e mesh routers (from a few year old Asus WiFi 5 mesh) and every device in my house seamlessly joined the matching SSID and password - except the Neurio meters and Powerwall Gateway. I logged into the Gateway and set up its WiFi again and it appeared back online. I followed the instructions in this thread as below and logged into the Meter right after boot up and it says it joined the WiFi but I never see any data. I've tried a few times but had to put it back on the old WiFi for now. Any suggestions are appreciated! Thanks.

Neurio Meter
SSID PWRView or Neurio

https://192.168.4.1
username:admin password: OBB360110xxxx (note the leading O looks identical to the 0 zeroes on the serial number label).

This has been covered, but you have to reserve static ip addresses for the Gateway and the neurio(s). Start with the neurio, which requires power cycling it and logging into its special domain, (yes, 192.168.4.1, but note its MAC address while you are there), where you feed it the new WiFi SSID and password, then you should here a chime, IIRC, and you are good to go. Some users have experienced challenges with the browser and configuration of the browser, so if you have difficulties, try a different browser, in an open mode. Then you need to log into the Gateway and a) configure the gateway for your new SSID & password, b) put the Gateway on its static address on your new SSID, and then c) configure the gateway to know what address the neurio is at, (double check the MAC address), and what it is monitoring.

It is a hassle, but doable if your network can have static addresses reserved for specific devices. If not, you are out of luck.

All the best,

BG

As @vkana points out, the neurio only broadcasts its own SSID on power up. If you need to connect to it, cycle the breaker, and then scan for it. The default address is posted above. (https://192.168.4.1/)

@kbray0009 Bear in mind that under normal conditions, the Gateway and neurio share data directly via their reserved IP / MAC addresses, and most routers will not notice the communication as there is nothing to route. So the absence of router observed traffic does not mean there is no traffic. The only way that I am aware of to check the communication between the Gateway and the neurio is by logging into the Tesla Gateway, and checking the state of the current meter being reported by the neurio, and for general errors. Trust me, BTDT. I believe that this direct communication is why some owners have had issues with wireless repeaters. What brand of router do you have?

All the best,

BG

Do the Neurio's use the Gateway's WiFi by default? I have my Gateway hard-wired and disconnected it from my home WiFi due to other issues. I've never tried messing with the Neurio's directly except through the Gateway interface.

Do the Neurio's use the Gateway's WiFi by default? I have my Gateway hard-wired and disconnected it from my home WiFi due to other issues. I've never tried messing with the Neurio's directly except through the Gateway interface.
No, the Gateway's network is just for accessing the Gateway. The neurio also has its own default WiFi for configuration only. The neurio WiFi turns off after a few minutes (15? It seems like mine shutdown faster.) You have to put the neurio on your network by configuring the home SSID and password into it. The Gateway and neurio require that they are at fixed addresses known to the Gateway and directly reachable, although a few owners here have been able to configure WiFi repeaters with fixed addresses successfully.

All the best,

BG

Last edited:
The reason I'm asking is I've never attached my three Neurios (two solar, one site) to my home network. But they communicate with the Gateway just fine and the Gateway is also not connected to the WiFi network anymore.
Communication over the Gateway WiFi isn't my understanding of how the Gateway WiFi is supposed to function. Why? Because a) the Gateway is supposed to communicate with Tesla, b) there isn't a WiFi bridge to your network, and c) my understanding of the use of backup cellular is that it is not active unless the WiFi/Ethernet connection to the internet is out.

I have not seen the Tesla SOP/specifications, so I am just guessing here. On a technical level, I think it is possible that someone configured the neurios to use the gateway WiFi and the gateway is using cellular, but it seems improbable to me that it would work as Gateway system control over communication would not (should not) be stable.

Not that it matters as your system seems to work, but have you checked your router(s) for extra devices?

All the best,

BG

you have to reserve static ip addresses for the Gateway and the neurio(s). Start with the neurio, which requires power cycling it and logging into its special domain, (yes, 192.168.4.1, but note its MAC address while you are there), where you feed it the new WiFi SSID and password, then you should here a chime, IIRC, and you are good to go. Some users have experienced challenges with the browser and configuration of the browser, so if you have difficulties, try a different browser, in an open mode. Then you need to log into the Gateway and a) configure the gateway for your new SSID & password, b) put the Gateway on its static address on your new SSID, and then c) configure the gateway to know what address the neurio is at, (double check the MAC address), and what it is monitoring.

For the life of me I could not get the Neurio Meter and Gateway to talk through the new TP Link mesh routers. I jerry rigged a fix by using the old Asus router as a wired client of the new WiFi mesh and only putting the Neurio Meter and Gateway on the old router. Works despite the double NAT situation. I have a degree in this stuff and still spent many hours on it - it shouldn't be this hard.

Interestingly on my old Asus WiFi setup the IP and Mac addresses were not hard coded in. Also, for setup, in the house I could could connect to the Gateway's 'TEG' WiFi and it showed good signal strength but the UI would not work until I went outside and sat near the Gateway.

For the life of me I could not get the Neurio Meter and Gateway to talk through the new TP Link mesh routers. I jerry rigged a fix by using the old Asus router as a wired client of the new WiFi mesh and only putting the Neurio Meter and Gateway on the old router. Works despite the double NAT situation. I have a degree in this stuff and still spent many hours on it - it shouldn't be this hard.

Interestingly on my old Asus WiFi setup the IP and Mac addresses were not hard coded in. Also, for setup, in the house I could could connect to the Gateway's 'TEG' WiFi and it showed good signal strength but the UI would not work until I went outside and sat near the Gateway.
I agree. It shouldn't be this hard. The only network connected items that I can recall being more difficult that the Tesla are...
I can't think of one. If a student proposed this solution in a networking class, I probably wouldn't have passed them.

One item: the Gateway and Neurio have to be on 2.4GHz network. Routers that have network optimization algorithms that try to push them to a "better" 5GHz network, will cause them to be in trouble.

I can think of half a dozen ways to make it simpler, but I don't have code access.

All the best,

BG

Several of us ditched the Gateway WiFi and ran ethernet to it. Mine was horribly unstable and would lockup all the time on WiFi. No issues since I went to ethernet.
My grid connection with Gateway and Powerwalls with solar inverter and the WiFi Neurio meter are on opposite ends of the house with no easy path in between. Do you have to run the Ethernet from Neurio to Gateway or will Neurio to router suffice as that is much easier?

My grid connection with Gateway and Powerwalls with solar inverter and the WiFi Neurio meter are on opposite ends of the house with no easy path in between. Do you have to run the Ethernet from Neurio to Gateway or will Neurio to router suffice as that is much easier?
My situation is similar, with the neurio about 70+' away from the gateway and shielded by much of the house.

I was told by Tesla that the neurio is WiFi only. In the end the solution that worked for me was to put access point close to the neurio to get a solid connection to it. You can also get a short antenna extension cable for the neurio to try to get the WiFi antennain a more favorable location, I.e. outside of a metal electrical panel.

The Gateway has an Ethernet port, so you can run an Ethernet cable to the Gateway to get a solid connection with your home network.

In comparison to other WiFi devices, I think both the neurio and gateway WiFi radios seem rather weak, though I admit putting a radio in a metal box without an external antenna is not ideal.

YMMV...

BG

Reactions: jgleigh
The reason I'm asking is I've never attached my three Neurios (two solar, one site) to my home network. But they communicate with the Gateway just fine and the Gateway is also not connected to the WiFi network anymore.

I might try something and shutdown my WiFi network and see if the Neurio's stay up and talking to the Gateway. I'll have to do it when the wife is gone so she doesn't scream at me. :)

M
My situation is similar, with the neurio about 70+' away from the gateway and shielded by much of the house.

I was told by Tesla that the neurio is WiFi only. In the end the solution that worked for me was to put access point close to the neurio to get a solid connection to it. You can also get a short antenna extension cable for the neurio to try to get the WiFi antennain a more favorable location, I.e. outside of a metal electrical panel.

The Gateway has an Ethernet port, so you can run an Ethernet cable to the Gateway to get a solid connection with your home network.

In comparison to other WiFi devices, I think both the neurio and gateway WiFi radios seem rather weak, though I admit putting a radio in a metal box without an external antenna is not ideal.

YMMV...

BG
My initial install was very unstable until they extended the Neurio antenna out a punch out.

I'm new here.

I just had a Powerwall 2 install that failed. I have 2x Neurios, 1 for distant solar on a shed and one in a distant main meter box (to monitor the grid usage).

The neurios connected to the Powerwall's private wifi initially as described in the installation process. I'm assuming this is a test that they work, as your told later to remove them before re-adding on the LAN.

We got the neurios and the Powerwall onto the LAN by connecting to various APs (all on the same LAN 10.0.2.x)
On my computer I can see the devices, can ping them and I can connect to the Powerwall's installer web interface.

I've assigned IP addresses for all the devices.

The neurios will not pair to the Powerwall over the home's wifi LAN.

We're stumped. Any suggestions ?