Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Confirm PUP $5000 refund thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I understand your sentiment,
I don't understand expecting
a corporation to not project
payments with honest dates?

if tesla was gilding the lily for
earnings reports, and these
refunds were a HUGE portion
of the balance sheet, why then
wouldn't they have promised
all individuals delivery into next
quarter, they could have very
easily promised me 8 weeks?

To be fair- Tesla gives people utterly unrealistic delivery dates for things all the time and then misses them- and have since pretty much their founding.

Doing anything on time, or close to it, let alone $5000 refunds on time, is pretty surprising.

I agree saying 4-8 weeks and then insuring they all arrived after 1/1/19 would probably have made more sense accounting-wise....my mistake was in assuming Tesla would do the intelligent thing on a point of paperwork, which a place they rarely do, so my bad :)

Reactions: Jedi2155
I understand your sentiment,
I don't understand expecting
a corporation to not project
payments with honest dates?

if tesla was gilding the lily for
earnings reports, and these
refunds were a HUGE portion
of the balance sheet, why then
wouldn't they have promised
all individuals delivery into next
quarter, they could have very
easily promised me 8 weeks?
4-8 weeks is incredibly arbitrary. Refunds can be done near instantly in most corporate financial systems. When I hear 4-8 weeks to me that says "we are pushing this out for some reason".

To be fair- Tesla gives people utterly unrealistic delivery dates for things all the time and then misses them- and have since pretty much their founding.

Doing anything on time, or close to it, let alone $5000 refunds on time, is pretty surprising.

I agree saying 4-8 weeks and then insuring they all arrived after 1/1/19 would probably have made more sense accounting-wise....my mistake was in assuming Tesla would do the intelligent thing on a point of paperwork, which a place they rarely do, so my bad :)

I understand tesla's history,
I just don't understand doing
it just to do it?

as you say, they could have
honestly named a date into
1Q 2019, but to set themselves
up purposely for failure?

4-8 weeks is incredibly arbitrary. Refunds can be done near instantly in most corporate financial systems. When I hear 4-8 weeks to me that says "we are pushing this out for some reason".

Not that I have ever seen. In my current company refunds take this process:
  1. Refund data entered. (I'm not familiar with the steps prior to this in how the refund gets to the data entry person.)
  2. Batch balanced and submitted
  3. Batch approved by Supervisor
  4. Overnight process interfaces the batch into the AP system
  5. AP Batch approved by AP Supervisor
  6. Checks cut and delivered to AP Manager for signature. (Any refund over $999.99)
  7. Checks over $4,999.99 delivered to Controller for second signature.
  8. Signed checks, and back-up, delivered to Document Imaging department to be imaged.
  9. Checks and backup go to QA person to validated that everything was imaged, and filed, correctly.
  10. Checks and backup delivered to mailroom personnel to be stuffed and mailed.
The absolute fastest that a refund could be issued is 3 business days. But the AP department only cuts non-emergency refund checks on Wednesdays. Of course, I have no idea what Tesla's refund/AP process looks like. (And I suspect they do fewer refunds than we do; as we do around 1,000 per week.)

Not that I have ever seen. In my current company refunds take this process:
  1. Refund data entered. (I'm not familiar with the steps prior to this in how the refund gets to the data entry person.)
  2. Batch balanced and submitted
  3. Batch approved by Supervisor
  4. Overnight process interfaces the batch into the AP system
  5. AP Batch approved by AP Supervisor
  6. Checks cut and delivered to AP Manager for signature. (Any refund over $999.99)
  7. Checks over $4,999.99 delivered to Controller for second signature.
  8. Signed checks, and back-up, delivered to Document Imaging department to be imaged.
  9. Checks and backup go to QA person to validated that everything was imaged, and filed, correctly.
  10. Checks and backup delivered to mailroom personnel to be stuffed and mailed.
The absolute fastest that a refund could be issued is 3 business days. But the AP department only cuts non-emergency refund checks on Wednesdays. Of course, I have no idea what Tesla's refund/AP process looks like. (And I suspect they do fewer refunds than we do; as we do around 1,000 per week.)
I was being very hyperbolic with saying instantly, but yeah, 3 days is reasonable. With such a large list the systems I have used would have some sort of mass adjustment upload which would speed things up a bit but I think we are on the same page.

To be fair "4-8 weeks" could also mean that only Betty Johnson over in finance does refunds and she can only do 100 a day and we don't care to make it faster. I'm not complaining really, I just like accurate timelines.

It's been 5 weeks since the 4 week commitment. Today I receive this. Not sure if this means they never originally submitted the request or what.

Attachments

• tempsnip.png
    tempsnip.png
    26 KB · Views: 90