Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Confirm PUP $5000 refund thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
$15k cheaper now for my car, but such is life of an early adopter :p

Yeah I am counting in my numbers that I got FSD for $2k instead of $5k that it is currently. Apples to apples what I actually bought vs what I can order today it is really $16k cheaper. Definitely don't mind Early Adopter "tax", but in less than 6 months that is really a high penalty for helping finance Model 3 production ;).

...and the federal tax deduction is less as well.

I bought in 7/2018, missing lifetime data by a week, but there is still only a $500 difference in what I paid vs. new pricing when I do a true comparison.

You would only count the Tax Credit in this way if you think Tesla should receive the benefit of the credit and not the consumer. This incentive is meant to incentivize the consumer. Essentially Tesla takes your view that the credit should be there's and when the credit is reduced they reduced pricing, when it's completely gone I expect they may reduce prices again. The only way they could do that profitably is if they have additional profit built in to the pricing that captures the value of the tax credit.

I paid around $79,500 for mine in October, the same car is 65,500. If you factor in rebates, I got $3750 more than people buying today can get. So then I'm at 75,750. That's still more than $10k difference, it stings.

I could take the $5k refund if I give up supercharging, so that helps. But, it seems odd, since I'm reading that some people got the discounted $5k price AND kept supercharging simply by waiting to pay for there car by a few more days than mine. I paid in October, they paid in November.

I'm still trying to decide whether to take the $5k or supercharge exclusively for 65k miles or so. Any of you end up keeping free supercharging?

I paid around $79,500 for mine in October, the same car is 65,500. If you factor in rebates, I got $3750 more than people buying today can get. So then I'm at 75,750. That's still more than $10k difference, it stings.

I could take the $5k refund if I give up supercharging, so that helps. But, it seems odd, since I'm reading that some people got the discounted $5k price AND kept supercharging simply by waiting to pay for there car by a few more days than mine. I paid in October, they paid in November.

I'm still trying to decide whether to take the $5k or supercharge exclusively for 65k miles or so. Any of you end up keeping free supercharging?

I took the $5k. We only use SC'ing on our Teslas when traveling on longer trips so it was an easy decision for us.

Yeah I am counting in my numbers that I got FSD for $2k instead of $5k that it is currently. Apples to apples what I actually bought vs what I can order today it is really $16k cheaper. Definitely don't mind Early Adopter "tax", but in less than 6 months that is really a high penalty for helping finance Model 3 production ;).
I passed on the $2k FSD. There is no tangible benefits yet, and IMHO the price will drop again. Tesla prices always drop over time.

• Disagree
Reactions: electrictorque

Why does it sting? the car today does NOT include Free Supercharging. And you could cash in, if you wanted to, but YOU elected not to. Folks today have no choice. So the difference is really $5k. Big whoop.

Reactions: Jason_G

You would only count the Tax Credit in this way if you think Tesla should receive the benefit of the credit and not the consumer. This incentive is meant to incentivize the consumer. Essentially Tesla takes your view that the credit should be there's and when the credit is reduced they reduced pricing, when it's completely gone I expect they may reduce prices again. The only way they could do that profitably is if they have additional profit built in to the pricing that captures the value of the tax credit.

Literally everyone is taking into account the federal tax credit. Do you think the used market will ignore this fact?

3/31/2019 was the last day to submit for the $5k check which I did on 3/30. No more FUSC, and I'm about to go on my 1st road trip hah. Kind of wish I went LR RWD though because it makes avoiding some really big mountains much easier (going from Zion National Park -> Byrce Canyon from the St. George supercharger), but some hotels offer destination charging so I'll just end up paying for that.

I had a 9/28 delivery (after I pushed them a bunch). I could have potentially pushed until November had I not been rushing more. My car was $80.5k + $87k after taxes. Net cost delta is about $6,000 between what I can buy now and what I ended up getting.

3/31/2019 was the last day to submit for the $5k check which I did on 3/30. No more FUSC, and I'm about to go on my 1st road trip hah. Kind of wish I went LR RWD though because it makes avoiding some really big mountains much easier (going from Zion National Park -> Byrce Canyon from the St. George supercharger), but some hotels offer destination charging so I'll just end up paying for that.

I had a 9/28 delivery (after I pushed them a bunch). I could have potentially pushed until November had I not been rushing more. My car was $80.5k + $87k after taxes. Net cost delta is about $6,000 between what I can buy now and what I ended up getting.
Yep, also about $6k down for me factoring in tax credit and the refund.

These rabid “omg someone got a better deal than me” will be the death of Tesla. Yay! Rejoice! No one else can get a better deal... does suck my car is worthless.

To my knowledge no one, employeed by Tesla, held a gun to anyone’s head to force them to agree on the purchase price at the time. If you are afraid of price drops, then just keep waiting. Just know, the rest of us will enjoy the *sugar* out of our cars during that time.

It's embarrassing to have outsiders seeing these discussions, and having this be the factor that pushes a potential buyer away.

I’m not as wealthy as the typical west coast Tesla owner, and this was the largest outlay of cash I’ve ever made... including my home mortgage. At the end of the day, the car I agreed to pay for is the car I recurved... and keeps getting better (ignoring occasional bad update)!

Reactions: Nocturnal
@Jason_G You're right, I still do my best to advocate people buying Tesla (as long time EV support and Tesla investor.)

The prices now are better than ever and highly recommend people to buy it now as I don't anticipate prices dropping much further due to Tesla's inability to deliver a lower cost M3 as profit margins are basically gone.

I don't think your numbers are right.
I paid 71,500 for my car delivered on August 16th The same car is now 61,500 including AP.

If I ordered it now I would be paying 61,500 - $3750 tax credit (which I wouldn't receive for an entire year btw) = 57,750
I paid 70,500 - 5,000 - 7,500 = 59,000 net (with no AP)

Where are you getting that it's 10k cheaper now? It's more like 4k.

Keeping lifetime supercharging was not even a consideration. It would be very hard to use that much supercharging and my car could get totaled tomorrow and you have nothing to show for it.

order.jpg

Attachments

• order.png
    order.png
    74.5 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
I have no idea how much I’m down for the P3D Stealth and I don’t care. I got the car I wanted at the price I was willing to pay. Also took advantage of the $5k back. Couldn’t be happier. I could certainly crunch the numbers on how much I’m down, but again, don’t care, it is what it is.

Reactions: Alketi
The real difference isn't 10k difference its actually around $5k for getting our car about 6 months earlier which IS NOT THAT BAD.
@MXWing
Updating my numbers based on my refund check and real numbers compared to today it actually looks pretty good until they provided free AP to new owners.

upload_2019-4-26_18-27-39.png

• Informative
Reactions: MXWing
I should be upset that I had to pay 6.8% sales tax AND got no state or other local rebates/credits. I’m jelly of you all getting $2-3k state credits!

Edit: damn 9.25% for LA!!

I made a mistake...it was 9.50% lol....($ amounts are correct though).

What would you prefer? Paying $2000 more in taxes (and on everything) or the $2500 rebate that takes about 3 months to arrive? Haha....

We all knew what we were doing. We wanted to have the newest/coolest toy on the block and show off, that's why we bought early. If I had known I could save 4k by waiting until now I would have made the same choice.

Cheers.

I should be upset that I had to pay 6.8% sales tax AND got no state or other local rebates/credits. I’m jelly of you all getting $2-3k state credits!

Edit: damn 9.25% for LA!!
I got zero from Kansas, and property tax here is surprisingly high.

I made a mistake...it was 9.50% lol....($ amounts are correct though).

What would you prefer? Paying $2000 more in taxes (and on everything) or the $2500 rebate that takes about 3 months to arrive? Haha....

To be highly accurate, you would need to account for free data not a benefit until someone gets charged. :(

Also, Add a column for 3P- and see how those whiners stack up. ;)

I love my 3P- friends here at TMC but damn you guys bitch bitch bitch.

Lastly a column for 3SR to convince you to buy an extra car for no reason other than it’s a good deal lol.

• Funny
Reactions: Jedi2155