TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Confirm raven by VIN?

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by CHSleafer, Oct 18, 2019.

1. CHSleafer

CHSleafer Member

Just ordered an inventory, new Model S. The chat support said it was a raven car, but I want to be sure. Is there a way I can confirm with the VIN?

2. Dithermaster

Dithermaster Member

VINs near the switch-over could be either; there is not hard cut-off VIN for any of these things (e.g., raven, refresh, HW3, AP2, etc) because VINs are not assigned in assembly line order. I can tell you that my VIN 3312xx has Raven tech, and not a super early one (it was delivered in the midwest in mid-June) so maybe that data point will help you. When you look at the car you can check the naming and the suspension setting to confirm Raven tech.

3. Dithermaster

Dithermaster Member

P.S. Date of manufacture would tell you more about what a car has than VIN. Although since VIN is apparently more accessible, it would be nice to have a general range of the black/gray/white zone (if before X, does not have Y, and if after Z should have Y) but I assume this would need to be crowd-sourced information, and would therefore have errors.

4. CHSleafer

CHSleafer Member

Thank you! I’m going to try to get a picture of the door sticker to eliminate all doubt. I’ve heard everything after April is Raven.

5. AdamHut

AdamHut Member

Raven battery packs are revision ‘E’ the seventh letter of your vin denoted the battery pack, for example mine is 5YJSB7E.... but I will still be checking the suspension when I pick it up.

• Informative x 1
  6. CHSleafer

CHSleafer Member

Thank you!

7. KCapital

KCapital Member

FYI - In VIN, 7th letter = E stands for ELECTRIC, not battery revision version E.

• Like x 1
  8. AdamHut

AdamHut Member

Thanks for pointing out my mistake, apart for seeing the car is their any why of checking ?

9. PDX_Magesh

PDX_Magesh Member

This may help, but others will need to chime in & confirm.

I think Raven cars have a rated range of 370 miles; whereas the older ones had 335 miles. (Assuming you are getting a 100D). If so, ask the sales rep, to take pix of the dash that shows both the percentage & the miles. Extrapolating those numbers will point you if you are getting a Raven or not.

IMHO, the VIN does not necessarily show you if its Raven or not, especially if the build date was around the April to June timeline.

Good luck.

• Like x 1
  10. AdamHut

AdamHut Member

Thanks, I was told it was a late May build, so will be a Raven, but this is all I have with regards to the car.

Attached Files:

11. AdamHut

AdamHut Member

Sorry I mean late July build

12. PDX_Magesh

PDX_Magesh Member

IDK ... It shows the rated miles as 365!!! For a performance. If so, that is awesome. It was my understanding, that P cars had a 345 mile range. Non P raven cars range was 370 miles. And all Raven cars had a 100kwh battery. So ... IDK.

Somebody else can shed more light on this.

• Like x 1
  13. brkaus

brkaus Well-Known Member

Well - they are claiming 365 mile range so it has to be a raven.

14. AdamHut

AdamHut Member

Brilliant thanks, just can’t wait to get it and achieve 220 miles out of me 365 mile range ;)

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1