Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Confirm some MX 8.0 findings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The whole "spoiler as downforce only" was a misconception I had as well. This video explained it more clearly. They reduce drag as well. Which it sounds like most posting in this thread are aware of.

For those still confused...

Awesome, thanks for sharing that video, very informative, and helps make sense of what the spoiler is doing on the Model X. It's NOT a foil, and while the difference is very small, having it angle down at higher speeds reduces drag and improves range slightly, while at slower speeds angling it up has a negligible effect on performance, but improves visibility out the rear window.

Reactions: goneskiian
Awesome, thanks for sharing that video, very informative, and helps make sense of what the spoiler is doing on the Model X. It's NOT a foil, and while the difference is very small, having it angle down at higher speeds reduces drag and improves range slightly, while at slower speeds angling it up has a negligible effect on performance, but improves visibility out the rear window.
I think it's more likely that it actually helps aerodynamics at the lower speed but at higher speeds the increased drag in the up position negates the benefit, so it goes down.

You're welcome.

Exactly.

I think it's more likely that it actually helps aerodynamics at the lower speed but at higher speeds the increased drag in the up position negates the benefit, so it goes down.
Nope. Watch the video. It still has some aero benefit when fully up, but the benefit is greater with it angled down slightly.

I'm still kinda bummed I missed out on the active spoiler. Shoulda pulled the trigger a couple weeks earlier! D'oh! :rolleyes::p;)