TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Confirmation - you can add accessory or towing package after delivery

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Firewired, Jan 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Firewired

Firewired Member

We took delivery of our inventory Model X in September which did not come with either the accessory or towing package. I just had the towing package retrofitted. Initially we heard a lot of conflicting information about if it was possible and which package could be installed. Apparently per my Tech, Tesla now has a published procedure for a retrofit. I was surprised when the Tech pulled the bumper off and there already was connection there to the trailer plug to connect to which activates the brake lights. Per the Tech, on the retrofit the parts are the same, the only difference (besides cost) between the two options is if they turn the software on for the towing package. Attached is a list of the parts. tow hitch installation.jpg

• Informative x 19
    • Love x 3
    • Helpful x 1
  2. polymathic

polymathic Member

That's very interesting information; I wish I'd known before. What was the cost of the retrofit?

Also, I thought I noticed a difference in the bottom trunk between tow package and no tow package--a little hump due to tow package. At the Tesla store, an employee pointed this out to me.

3. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

Was the price still $750?

4. Firewired

Firewired Member

Yes.

• Love x 1
  5. jgrgnt

jgrgnt Member

Thanks for confirming this. The tow package is the one option I regretted not adding to my config before it locked. Good to know it can be added later.

6. tinkoo604

tinkoo604 Member

Thanks for letting us know. I spent many hours trying to find a answer to this.

7. 00poop6x

00poop6x Member

This needs to be pinned. It has part numbers, price and all confirmed info.

Requesting this tomorrow when the car gets hauled to the service center.

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  8. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I was surprised to see that Tesla would add the towing package after delivery for the same price as ordering the option as part of the build configuration. Nice! Apparently every X is built so that the hitch adapter can be easily connected to the vehicle frame and the electrical harness connection is present as well.

9. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

Excellent news! Thanks @Firewired!

This also puts to bed the "Accessory Hitch" vs. "Tow Package" hardware discussion. Yup, as I've said all along, they are one and the same. You may all now disregard the "120 lb" weight limit of the "Accessory Hitch" in the manual.

Cheers!

10. bushburner

bushburner Member

nice, i got the accessory hitch, i guess if i ever wanted to tow something, i'll just need for them to activate the software.

11. Dj B

Dj B Member

Did they also confirm the software addition for towing so there is no trailer sway etc?

12. dmd2005

dmd2005 Member

That's good news that all the SC has to do is activate the software and that all towing compnents are included with each X. I opted not to order the tow package for delivery and am glad that it is still an available option after delivery.

13. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

If Tesla is indeed only charging $750 to perform this upgrade, I would book it ASAP. They have been known (and for good reason) to charge more for after-purchase upgrades. I would expect them to charge around $1500 to add Towing after-purchase.

• Helpful x 1
  14. Dj B

Dj B Member

What service center was this done at? My SC is asking so they can get it done for me. Thanks!

15. gearchruncher

gearchruncher Member

This looks a lot to me like the car already had the hitch receiver and this is just the parts to plug into it. Are you sure they actually disassembled the back of the car and bolted something to it for zero charge?

16. Bridor

Bridor Member

I just took my Model X to the Costa Mesa Service center. They inspected my vehicle and stated that the parts list above only applies if the vehicle has the correct bumper - mine did not, so they were not able to install a tow package. Firewired - you were extremely lucky that the vehicle you picked up had the correct part. I was so stoked for about an hour...

Brent

17. hill

hill Member

If one needs to experience more exhaspiration - yea ... pin this, so we can all recall (along with othe 'issues) how many tesla folk told us, "no, absolutely not ... you CAN'T get the trailer hitch added after the fact"
    (sigh)

• Funny x 1
  18. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

What is your VIN range?

19. 00poop6x

00poop6x Member

Yes that would work too!

20. Firewired

Firewired Member

First yes the Tech did activate the software for the trailer package.

My car has VIN 6400 range, and It did not appear to have the correct bumper either that my tech was expecting when he initially tried the install a month ago. It actually took two appointments to get the hitch installed. On the first appointment when my Tech, who is the Lead Tech for my area, took off all the bumper cladding, he told me I had the wrong bumper for the hitch assembly. He then put everything back on and reached out to Houston who has done a number of these retrofits and ultimately Fremont for clarification.

I just spoke to my Tech again this morning asking about the question about incompatible bumpers, he said that it used to be that you had to have a specific bumper to accept the hitch assembly, but now the hitch assembly is designed to replace the existing bumper Try and have your service center reverify by inquiry about the retrofit.
    Apparently your Service Center is are going on old information. If you run into a roadblock PM me you SC contact and I will try and have my local Tech reach out to them.

• Helpful x 3
    • Informative x 1
    • Like x 1