Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Confirmation - you can add accessory or towing package after delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We took delivery of our inventory Model X in September which did not come with either the accessory or towing package. I just had the towing package retrofitted. Initially we heard a lot of conflicting information about if it was possible and which package could be installed. Apparently per my Tech, Tesla now has a published procedure for a retrofit. I was surprised when the Tech pulled the bumper off and there already was connection there to the trailer plug to connect to which activates the brake lights. Per the Tech, on the retrofit the parts are the same, the only difference (besides cost) between the two options is if they turn the software on for the towing package. Attached is a list of the parts.
tow hitch installation.jpg

That's very interesting information; I wish I'd known before. What was the cost of the retrofit?

Also, I thought I noticed a difference in the bottom trunk between tow package and no tow package--a little hump due to tow package. At the Tesla store, an employee pointed this out to me.

I was surprised to see that Tesla would add the towing package after delivery for the same price as ordering the option as part of the build configuration. Nice! Apparently every X is built so that the hitch adapter can be easily connected to the vehicle frame and the electrical harness connection is present as well.

If Tesla is indeed only charging $750 to perform this upgrade, I would book it ASAP. They have been known (and for good reason) to charge more for after-purchase upgrades. I would expect them to charge around $1500 to add Towing after-purchase.

• Helpful
Reactions: travwill
I just took my Model X to the Costa Mesa Service center. They inspected my vehicle and stated that the parts list above only applies if the vehicle has the correct bumper - mine did not, so they were not able to install a tow package. Firewired - you were extremely lucky that the vehicle you picked up had the correct part. I was so stoked for about an hour...

Brent

This needs to be pinned. It has part numbers, price and all confirmed info.

Requesting this tomorrow when the car gets hauled to the service center.
If one needs to experience more exhaspiration - yea ... pin this, so we can all recall (along with othe 'issues) how many tesla folk told us, "no, absolutely not ... you CAN'T get the trailer hitch added after the fact"
(sigh)

• Funny
Reactions: Cowby
I just took my Model X to the Costa Mesa Service center. They inspected my vehicle and stated that the parts list above only applies if the vehicle has the correct bumper - mine did not, so they were not able to install a tow package. Firewired - you were extremely lucky that the vehicle you picked up had the correct part. I was so stoked for about an hour...

Brent

What is your VIN range?

First yes the Tech did activate the software for the trailer package.

My car has VIN 6400 range, and It did not appear to have the correct bumper either that my tech was expecting when he initially tried the install a month ago. It actually took two appointments to get the hitch installed. On the first appointment when my Tech, who is the Lead Tech for my area, took off all the bumper cladding, he told me I had the wrong bumper for the hitch assembly. He then put everything back on and reached out to Houston who has done a number of these retrofits and ultimately Fremont for clarification.

I just spoke to my Tech again this morning asking about the question about incompatible bumpers, he said that it used to be that you had to have a specific bumper to accept the hitch assembly, but now the hitch assembly is designed to replace the existing bumper Try and have your service center reverify by inquiry about the retrofit.
Apparently your Service Center is are going on old information. If you run into a roadblock PM me you SC contact and I will try and have my local Tech reach out to them.