TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Confirmation - you can add accessory or towing package after delivery

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Firewired, Jan 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Bridor

Bridor Member

Firewired is helping me out. My last six of the VIN number is 019812. I am sure hoping that this will all work out as I desperately need the tow hitch. I replaced a 2016 Honda Pilot with the towing package and I need to tow a trailer...

Brent

• Like x 1
  2. Andersonimes

Andersonimes Member

I contacted Firewired as well. VIN ends in 027845. My SC in Bellevue, WA has so far been reluctant. Hoping for good news.

3. Firewired

Firewired Member

#23 Firewired, Jan 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
    Per my tech there had been a lot of ongoing conflicting information, but a new article now approves this hitch assembly to be put on in place of the existing factory bumper. Here are pictures of the trailer hitch assembly, before this I had the plain bumper. Do you all think the V5 corresponds to this being the 5th iteration? There was a plug on the wiring harness that was already there for the wiring plug to connect to. My understanding is there may be only one harness for Xs out of simplicity. From what I understood it may be on all our Xs, as it is easier to have one harness.

If you are getting conflicting info from your service center PM me the first and last name, and telephone number at the service center that said it couldn't be done and I will ask my local Tesla tech to contact them as long as his good will holds out.

IMG_0350.jpg IMG_0349.jpg IMG_0348.jpg

• Informative x 3
  4. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

@Firewired Do you happen to have any pictures of the original bumper?

5. Firewired

Firewired Member

To give the full story, it actually took two attempts to get the retrofit done. The same tech tried to do it about a month ago, and stopped when he thought the hitch was not compatible with my bumper. The tech stopped, put everything back to it's original state, and has spent the last month or so getting additional guidance from Fremont.

I went back to see if I had any pictures from the first attempt, specifically the original bumper and I had this one additional picture of the accessory hitch. Looking at this picture I can now see I was mistaken earlier in the thread, and recollected incorrectly, and have changed it. The plug underneath and to the side of the the ball hitch mount was not already there, but the wiring on the hitch had a place to plug into on my Xs wiring harness.

20161013_095331.jpg ech led me to believe that our Xs may have just one wiring harness.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  6. Firewired

Firewired Member

I looked everywhere I could on the internet for a picture of the stock X bumper. I found this picture of the S rear bumper and it looked very similar to this. Hope that helps.

2011-naias-tesla-model-s-live-photos-29498_1.jpg

7. Andersonimes

Andersonimes Member

My SC just got back to me today and they've ordered the parts for my install!

The price they quoted was $1250, though. Definitely more than the $750 I was expecting. I'm happy to pay it but I've inquired why it was higher.

8. Scott_

Scott_ New Member

I called the SC and had the parts ordered. They expected it to be $600 for parts plus 2 hours of labor.

9. gearchruncher

gearchruncher Member

That's kind of a kick in the shins. You can add towing to a Model X for CHEAPER than buying it on the car if you do your own install?

10. Scott_

Scott_ New Member

I'll have to pay for 2 hours of labor at the SC. I don't know how much the SC charges but I'd expect something around $100/hr so I'm expecting $800+ out of pocket to install it.

11. Andersonimes

Andersonimes Member

What SC? Mine said they were using the official guidance from Tesla now on pricing.

12. Scott_

Scott_ New Member

Seattle. I ordered the parts on Tuesday.

13. Andersonimes

Andersonimes Member

Seattle or Bellevue? Mine is Bellevue. Damn that's actually good. I'll call them tomorrow and get a quote!

14. Scott_

Scott_ New Member

Seattle SC, in SoDo

15. Andersonimes

Andersonimes Member

This is fantastic news. Thanks, man! I will report back tomorrow. Hoping to get a quote I can use to convince Bellevue to lower the price. Otherwise I'll just take it to SoDo.

16. 00poop6x

00poop6x Member

Houston has a $175/hr rate for reference

17. Andersonimes

Andersonimes Member

$150/hr in Bellevu, WA. If it's 2 hours, it's going to be $900-$1000.

18. Jurnimon

Jurnimon Member

My SC Dedham has not come back with what needs to be done. I think they are also seriously balking at the $750 price. $1000 for this retrofit seems reasonable imho. My vin is below 1000. Thanks OP!

19. gearchruncher

gearchruncher Member

I'm thrilled that Telsa is supporting a retrofit for those of you without the package. However, their pricing is seriously nuts.

It's $750 if you buy it on a new car. One where they don't need to put the other bumper on at the factory (saving money) and the install is basically free since it only takes a few seconds longer in production to install this than the other bumper.

However, you can go to your service center and buy the parts for $150 less and install them yourself? Yes, there is labor you don't know how to spin a wrench. But Tesla has to deal with all these individual parts, package them, ship them around the country, and inventory them, pay for the original bumper, and they charge you 20% less for the privilege? I'd jump on this ASAP if you're interested because I don't think it's going to last at that price once they realize how they're distorting the market.

If you already have the "accessory hitch" ($250) which has been shown to be the same as the full towing minus the software, how much do they charge just to turn the software on?

20. martinicus

martinicus Member

I picked up my X in December, and they had forgotten the accessory hitch I ordered. They shipped it to me and it just arrived today. It appears to be the full towing hitch, with wiring and everything, in a nice bag. I'm also curious what they would charge to unlock the towing Software (I'm guessing the $500 difference). Does anyone know how to check in the UI to see if towing software is (hopefully mistakenly) activated?