Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Confirmation - you can add accessory or towing package after delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
However, you can go to your service center and buy the parts for $150 less and install them yourself?

Sure but at that point you only have the equivalent to the accessory hitch option, which was only $250 when the vehicle was ordered. I doubt they will enable the software towing option if you install it yourself. Or at a minimum there would be a labor charge, and I would hope that they inspect the install to make sure it is up to spec before enabling the software. (Additional cost.)

From past history it seems like they normally charge at least $500 to change a software option.

My Model X came with the accessory hitch but not the "towing package" feature. After reading this thread I asked my SC guru if the reports that now adding the tow to a vehicle that already is equipped with the accessory hitch is possible with a software upgrade at the SC. Here is the reply I received:

Sorry but this is False, we are not able to install software to enable the tow package on a vehicle that was ordered with the accessory hitch.

My Model X came with the accessory hitch but not the "towing package" feature. After reading this thread I asked my SC guru if the reports that now adding the tow to a vehicle that already is equipped with the accessory hitch is possible with a software upgrade at the SC. Here is the reply I received:

Sorry but this is False, we are not able to install software to enable the tow package on a vehicle that was ordered with the accessory hitch.

Miscommunication amongst Tesla SC, try contacting another SC.

Do you all think the V5 corresponds to this being the 5th iteration?
V-5 stands for VESC-5, the Vehicle Equipment Safety Commission standard for towing. If it is V-5 certified, it meets those requirements (seen here). One of the interesting parts of the standard is that the weight of the hitch (even heavy weight distributing hitches) doesn't apply toward tongue weight. More on that in a future post..

• Informative
Reactions: vandacca
Just an FYI....

I was looking at a 2016 Model X P90D CPO with only the trailer accessory hitch and according to my advisor at the West Palm Beach, FL store a retrofit is NOT possible. I provided a link to this thread as a reference for him to review with the service advisor and he confirmed that this data is either outdated or inaccurate.

If what is reported in this thread is accurate (which I believe it is) Tesla is doing a very poor job with communicating this option to it's service centers.

Jason

• Informative
Reactions: ohmman
Just an FYI....

I was looking at a 2016 Model X P90D CPO with only the trailer accessory hitch and according to my advisor at the West Palm Beach, FL store a retrofit is NOT possible. I provided a link to this thread as a reference for him to review with the service advisor and he confirmed that this data is either outdated or inaccurate.

If what is reported in this thread is accurate (which I believe it is) Tesla is doing a very poor job with communicating this option to it's service centers.

Jason
I wonder if it's possible there were changes between those early builds and the current builds that make this impossible. I know that the underbody hitch cover (plastic panel) changed since mine was built. Mine flew off on the road at some point and they gave me a replacement at my last service appointment. Turns out the new ones have two latches and a different shape. Mine only had one. So there have been some modifications over time.

I know that the entire hitch mount assembly bolts on at the far left and right of the rear of the vehicle with four bolts. It seems unlikely that the body of the X has changed.. so as you mention, possibly a communications snag and the SC is mistaken.

• Informative
Reactions: Jurnimon
After reading this thread I asked my SC guru if the reports that now adding the tow to a vehicle that already is equipped with the accessory hitch is possible with a software upgrade at the SC. Here is the reply I received: Sorry but this is False, we are not able to install software to enable the tow package on a vehicle that was ordered with the accessory hitch.

Add another one that is getting the same story. I was told the the tow package is not software only and that there is additional bracing that supports it. This was for a Sept 2016 car w/ an accessory hitch.

I wonder if it's possible there were changes between those early builds and the current builds that make this impossible.

This is entirely possible. The Model S had changes the removed bracing for the rear facing seats for cost cutting measures. Only cars that specifically has the option is reinforced for it. Previously, any S could be retrofit.

For those who have had this successfully retrofitted - can you share you build dates?

I have the accessory hitch, but going by pictures in this thread all I need is the 2" adaptor to plug into the Bosal receptical.
The accessory hitch that came in a padded zip bag says on it 2000 lb trailer load max. But it has a small ball 1.25" which nobody uses here.

I have the accessory hitch, but going by pictures in this thread all I need is the 2" adaptor to plug into the Bosal receptical.
The accessory hitch that came in a padded zip bag says on it 2000 lb trailer load max. But it has a small ball 1.25" which nobody uses here.

I was just speaking with an advisor and was told the carrying capacity of the accessory hitch is 125lbs. That is far below the 2000lbs you note. Be careful.

I am still working with them trying to figure out if this is doable.

Last six of VIN on the car I am looking at is 021525.

I was just speaking with an advisor and was told the carrying capacity of the accessory hitch is 125lbs. That is far below the 2000lbs you note. Be careful.

I am still working with them trying to figure out if this is doable.

Last six of VIN on the car I am looking at is 021525.

If it's a Bosal hitch, I believe that 125 lbs is also limited to a weight bearing ball hitch located no more than 8" from the hitch pin. More distance will create more torque and will therefore need to be downrated.
Unless there's something new that I haven't seen, this "Accessory Hitch" the advisor is referring to doesn't exist. So far those that have ordered the AH have received the very same Bosal removable receiver that those of us who have the Tow Package received.

If this is still the case, then the tongue weight listed on it is 500 lbs for 20" wheels and 350 lbs for 22" wheels.

I would ask this advisor to show you an Accessory Hitch. If he does, take a picture!

Unless there's something new that I haven't seen, this "Accessory Hitch" the advisor is referring to doesn't exist. So far those that have ordered the AH have received the very same Bosal removable receiver that those of us who have the Tow Package received.

If this is still the case, then the tongue weight listed on it is 500 lbs for 20" wheels and 350 lbs for 22" wheels.

I would ask this advisor to show you an Accessory Hitch. If he does, take a picture!

The actual hitch assembly does look the same. However, the manner of which it is bolted to the car is different. The tow pkg hitch system mounts in a much more robust manner than the accessory hitch (according to the tech I spoke with). The accessory hitch is no longer an option. You can only opt for the tow pkg.

I just ordered a P100D MX Inventory car and it has the accessory hitch. If it really has the tow package I'll be super pumped but my SA confirmed it was just the accessory hitch. See image. Almost a $25k savings.

Attachments

• MyTeslaDesign_02-11-2017.pdf
    185.1 KB · Views: 181
Reactions: Cowby
Some of us (myself included) were told there is additional reinforcement for a tow package vs an accessory hitch. (I can see how that may be the case.)

I think people have also confirmed the hitch assembly itself is the identical part.

But I'm not sure how/why they would mount differently. It looks like there's only 8 bolts, with no flex parts. I'm not sure how else it could be mounted.

There's an easy way to figure this out, we need 3 volunteers. One with tow, one with accessory, and one without anything....

Reactions: ohmman
The actual hitch assembly does look the same. However, the manner of which it is bolted to the car is different. The tow pkg hitch system mounts in a much more robust manner than the accessory hitch (according to the tech I spoke with). The accessory hitch is no longer an option. You can only opt for the tow pkg.

I just ordered a P100D MX Inventory car and it has the accessory hitch. If it really has the tow package I'll be super pumped but my SA confirmed it was just the accessory hitch. See image. Almost a $25k savings.
@Racerx22b, when did you confirm your order? It was my understanding that Tesla finally discontinued the Accessory Hitch a few months ago since up to then they were just providing the Bosal Tow Hitch to anyone ordering the Accessory Hitch.

The Accessory Hitch was supposed to be a Tesla-designed solution to quickly and easily add a bike rack that was so easy that a 10 year-old kid could quickly install it in 10 seconds.

Some of us (myself included) were told there is additional reinforcement for a tow package vs an accessory hitch. (I can see how that may be the case.)

I think people have also confirmed the hitch assembly itself is the identical part.

But I'm not sure how/why they would mount differently. It looks like there's only 8 bolts, with no flex parts. I'm not sure how else it could be mounted.

There's an easy way to figure this out, we need 3 volunteers. One with tow, one with accessory, and one without anything....
I agree, if it's the same Bosal removable receiver, then the remainder is the same and the bolts are the same. I can't see them "leaving a few bolts out" when mounting it. That's ridiculous.

So to date, we haven't seen an accessory hitch, and I feel quite confident that the only difference is that Tesla turns off the flag for "tow mode" in the software. I also find that to be a dangerous proposition for them, since it includes things like anti-sway, disabling Autosteer, and other safety features.

• Informative
Reactions: 2virgule5
I agree, if it's the same Bosal removable receiver, then the remainder is the same and the bolts are the same. I can't see them "leaving a few bolts out" when mounting it. That's ridiculous.

So to date, we haven't seen an accessory hitch, and I feel quite confident that the only difference is that Tesla turns off the flag for "tow mode" in the software. I also find that to be a dangerous proposition for them, since it includes things like anti-sway, disabling Autosteer, and other safety features.

We ordered the accessory hitch (1.25") but got the same Bosal removable receiver than everyone else (2"). The weight limit is listed on the Bosal hitch receiver, and it's exactly the same than what is listed for the Tow Package. It would be irresponsible to print something the car is not capable of doing, so the hardware part is certainly the same. Along the way they probably thought they could streamline production by only having one hardware solution. But it makes their decision to remove the software safety features all the more puzzling.