TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Confirmation - you can add accessory or towing package after delivery

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Firewired, Jan 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

I imagine there are two things at play. First, they want to be fair to those of us who paid for the option (for the record, I don't care if you guys get full towing without paying). Second, there may be some towing-related additional service risk, and they hope that by telling owners to only use "accessory" weight objects, that risk (which is part of the $750) is mitigated. Overall, though, I agree that since there is a receiver with explicit limits pasted on it, the software should always be enabled.

• Like x 1
  2. myblubu

myblubu Member

So did the cost include replacing the bumper? Also, is there a removable 'cover' on the bottom of the rear fascia where the hitch goes? I don't think mine has that, did yours?

3. Racerx22b

Racerx22b @unplggdd on Instagram

I purchased an inventory car. Built in 2016.

4. flar

flar Member

Every part has its engineering limits. The removable hitch receiver may be capable of those loads, but it does not mean that the structure of the car can hold those loads or that the trailer(or the accessory rack) you attach can hold those loads. Limits are based on the weakest link, which is not necessarily the bosal part in any given configuration.

5. Yinn

Yinn Active Member

I bought an inventory car with an accessory hitch, I would not mind paying for the software upgrade either if it was just that.

Also, was it the wrong bumper? Or the wrong bumper cover as myblubu is referring to here?

This is the only thing that makes sense right now if there is indeed a hardware difference. Either an extra bracing plate, longer/stronger bolts maybe?

The hitch and receiver itself is confirmed to be the same hardware. That much we know.

6. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

That makes sense. The vehicle was purchased with the Accessory Hitch, but got substituted for the more expensive Tow Hitch.

7. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

I agree, and this is probably why they've axed the Accessory Hitch option completely and now only offer the full Towing Package.

• Like x 1
  8. 2virgule5

2virgule5 Supporting Member

Out of curiosity for the ones with the software: when you are towing something (or even with the bike rack on), do you have the constant warning sound when you are in reverse? With just the accessory hitch and the bike rack the sensors are detecting an object (obviously) and they keep beeping annoyingly. You'd think a software solution is possible (ie if the object is following you at exactly the same distance whatever the speed it's probably attached to the car, at least until the next 'park' event).

On the topic of being fair to the one that paid for the full tow package vs just the accessory hitch, I agree with the principle of fairness. I'm not planning to use it to tow things anyway. But Tesla just created a potential mess & liability with its label. What will happen when I sell my X to someone else and they start to tow things with Autopilot engaged?

9. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

Yes. I get annoying reminders with my bike rack on. Not only when in reverse but also when I slow to almost a stop. It's a warning that the Park Assist feature is not available. The reverse warning is especially strong when I have the rack folded up and not in use. Probably because it's a lot more metal than the bicycles (which are mostly carbon fiber).

• Informative x 1
  10. Racerx22b

Can't you disable the warning sounds? My wife has all of them turned off on her Model S. Our garage is tight and all the beeping freaks her out so we just turned them off?

Are you getting visual alerts as well?

It's fairly standard equipment on almost every truck or SUV I have driven with a trailer to have an option to disable the reverse/parking sensors when a trailer is in use. Surprised their isn't a "button" for this on the X.

Jason

11. 2virgule5

2virgule5 Supporting Member

Yep, I guess it's time we all send our feedback/request @[email protected] (or whatever the feedback link is nowadays).

12. Andersonimes

Andersonimes Member

My install is scheduled for the 22nd. I will post how it goes.

13. GreenPenguin

GreenPenguin Member

+1 Anyone in SoCal get the tow retrofit done? If so which SC and what was the final cost?

Thanks!

14. AnxietyRanger

AnxietyRanger Well-Known Member

Possible.

However it is also possible any such marketed limitations are historical relicts of the plans to have 1.25" accessory hitch.

Simply disabling software is differentiating the Tesla way...

15. beakerconcepts

Miramar SC (san diego) guy just now told me it can't be done..I keep pushing though! Can FIREWIRED cal them for me!

16. Firewired

Firewired Member

For those that are getting pushback from their local service center that it cannot be done, have them recheck to make sure they have the newest information. A new article is supposedly or will be soon published to the Tesla Toolbox, showing them the approved procedure.

• Informative x 2
  17. Yinn

Yinn Active Member

Any idea if there's a reference ID# that we can point them to?

18. beakerconcepts

Thanks, just got off the guy telling NO again! I dont get it.. Take my money!

19. Racerx22b

I was just told via email by the Dania Beach, FL SC that it can be done. They had my VIN to go off of so I can't confirm if it can be done for all Model X's or what Model X's it is possible for.

As a reminder, I have the factory installed Accessory Hitch. I was told it was $750 if the Towbar is already in place and $1250 if it wasn't in place (I have no idea what that means). They would need to inspect vehicle in person to determine the price.

Vin 21525

20. beakerconcepts

My VIN is 10702 maybe too early? no idea how it works... anyone want to call the San Diego SC for me....