Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Confirmation - you can add accessory or towing package after delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took it for a spin... Seemed solid.

Jason

IMG_2953.jpeg
IMG_2954-1.jpeg
IMG_2958.jpeg

This is for the cars ordered without hitch accessory option. Now they just need to add an option for us "hitchers" to get the Tow soft pushed out OTA to get to the full Tow Package parity. I might be inclined to pay a couple of hundred bucks for that.

@Stasla Did you read the part toward the bottom? "Customers with vehicles equipped with a trailer hitch & without Tow Mode enabled can upgrade to the full tow package by contacting their Service Center for information and availability."

This is for the cars ordered without hitch accessory option. Now they just need to add an option for us "hitchers" to get the Tow soft pushed out OTA to get to the full Tow Package parity.
@Stasla Did you read the part toward the bottom? "Customers with vehicles equipped with a trailer hitch & without Tow Mode enabled can upgrade to the full tow package by contacting their Service Center for information and availability."
Cool! Especially if the Svc Ctr can just push it OTA.

According to my SC, it software update has to be done at the service center. They need to change the configuration of your car. Mine is currently getting this done along with a few punch list items from delivery.

Something else that I picked up on that I cannot confirm but I think all cars are now built with the 72amp charger and it's just a matter of the car being configured for it to get it to work. My tech said that the trailer tow feature just needed to be turned on and mentioned a few other items like that... One of them being the 72amp charger.

My tech said that the trailer tow feature just needed to be turned on and mentioned a few other items like that... One of them being the 72amp charger.
This would be very interesting if confirmed because forever, everyone thought it was so from the website description (software enabled), but then at some point it was confirmed (at that point in time) it was a hardware swap. If they changed to pure software, interesting.

Not sure how we would verify this in general, unless someone had this done without an SC visit!

This would be very interesting if confirmed because forever, everyone thought it was so from the website description (software enabled), but then at some point it was confirmed (at that point in time) it was a hardware swap. If they changed to pure software, interesting.

Not sure how we would verify this in general, unless someone had this done without an SC visit!
I've said it before and will say it again: this can be a very nice high-margin/low-cost profit center for Tesla, if they formalized the process to sell these upgrades to existing owners.

I've said it before and will say it again: this can be a very nice high-margin/low-cost profit center for Tesla, if they formalized the process to sell these upgrades to existing owners.
It also depends on what the actual hardware costs. We've seen that they are dumping the 60 because the cost of the 75 pack was such (and that 'relatively no one upgraded') that making it easy to upgrade in software was excessive. (Other factors like the free battery headroom in the 60 notwithstanding...)

For an accessory like EAP/FSD, it's ALL software. Cool. No marginal cost at all.

For chargers, what's the marginal cost of 72 vs.48 Amp charger? How many people wouldn't upgrade vs. time/cost of SC visit, having two models of chargers, etc. If it's really so.... :)

It also depends on what the actual hardware costs. We've seen that they are dumping the 60 because the cost of the 75 pack was such (and that 'relatively no one upgraded') that making it easy to upgrade in software was excessive. (Other factors like the free battery headroom in the 60 notwithstanding...)

For an accessory like EAP/FSD, it's ALL software. Cool. No marginal cost at all.

For chargers, what's the marginal cost of 72 vs.48 Amp charger? How many people wouldn't upgrade vs. time/cost of SC visit, having two models of chargers, etc. If it's really so.... :)
I'm talking about hardware that's already in the cars - things that can be enabled via software: ambient cabin lighting, autopresent doors, adaptive headlights (possibly, if the actual headlights are the same, as I suspect) etc. for non-PUP cars, tow package for "hitchers", and the list goes on

Discussed with service and they said they would turn it on when I was in for resolution of a few delivery punch list items. YMMV

I think it does help to have a good friendly relationship with your SA. I happen to get along with them very well (and I am not being fake) and I think they appreciate that I am very understanding.