Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Confirmation - you can add accessory or towing package after delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So did the cost include replacing the bumper? Also, is there a removable 'cover' on the bottom of the rear fascia where the hitch goes? I don't think mine has that, did yours?

Just checked under my rear bumper and guess what! There was a removable cover! Has a plastic slotted screw, I removed it and noticed a wire harness with pins sticking out of it toward the left side of the opening, no other things observable. The bumper does not look like the tubular design shown in post #25, but from what I could see, seems like it may be the stock bumper shown in post #26. It does have 2 threaded holes toward the center of the opening on the bottom of the bumper.

I've got Signature # S00847

Aren't signatures supposed to came with all the options? Wonder why this one didn't get the towing option. Seems to have everything else except that.

So looks like the bumper will have to be replaced. What's the cost everyone is seeing for that?

Just checked under my rear bumper and guess what! There was a removable cover! Has a plastic slotted screw, I removed it and noticed a wire harness with pins sticking out of it toward the left side of the opening, no other things observable. The bumper does not look like the tubular design shown in post #25, but from what I could see, seems like it may be the stock bumper shown in post #26. It does have 2 threaded holes toward the center of the opening on the bottom of the bumper.

I've got Signature # S00847

Aren't signatures supposed to came with all the options? Wonder why this one didn't get the towing option. Seems to have everything else except that.

So looks like the bumper will have to be replaced. What's the cost everyone is seeing for that?
If I recall correctly, (a) Towing $750, (b) SubZero package $1,000 and (c) Ludicrous Mode $10,000 were the only options Signature reservation owners could upgrade.

Just checked under my rear bumper and guess what! There was a removable cover! Has a plastic slotted screw, I removed it and noticed a wire harness with pins sticking out of it toward the left side of the opening, no other things observable. The bumper does not look like the tubular design shown in post #25
Post 25 is showing what's under the bumper. You have to look very closely through that hatch that you discovered in order to see it. Next to the 7-blade connector that you saw, right in the center of the hole, is there another socket? It should be roundish with V slots in it. If so, that's where you fit the Bosal removable receiver. Without going outside to look at mine right now, I don't recall if the 7-blade connection is tied to the Bosal support or not. It seems odd that you'd have that without having the rest of the equipment.

The downside is that, if you don't have the removable receiver, it appears to be very difficult to acquire, even from Tesla.

Towing package installed! It only appeared to take them a few hours even though they had never done it before. Final cost was $1250. Here is the parts info they gave me:

TOW PACKAGE UPGRADE (part 1111273-00-A)

Part // Quantity
NUT HF M10 PC10 (1047337-00-A) // 8
WASHER,FL,M10X25X0.8,AL (1079620-00-
B) //
ASY,HARN,TRAILER BRAKE ECU
ADAPTER (1072586-00-A) //
MX RR DIFFUSER, WITH TOW (1058356-00-
C) //
COVER, TOW HITCH, MX (1058357-00-D) // 1
TRAILER HITCH - NA (1027581-00-D) // 1
TRAILER HITCH ADAPTER - NA (1027582-
00-A) //
TRAILER HITCH ADAPTER STORAGE BAG
- NA (1027587-00-A) //

This is from the Can I Tow Tread.

My follow up email to Tesla Technical Support:

Any word from the technicians about exactly what is happening with my vehicle? (reference the blue trailer showing up on the dash but trailer mode not appearing on my display)

The manual states on page 69: Trailer Mode Trailer Mode must always be active when towing a trailer. When you connect a trailer's electrical connection, Model X automatically engages Trailer Mode. When you disconnect the trailer's electrical connection, Trailer Mode
disengages. To engage or exit Trailer Mode manually, touch Controls > Driving > Trailer Mode on the touchscreen. One of the following indicators display on the instrument panel:

Blue Trailer Icon = Trailer Mode is active.

Will the Trailer Mode software show up in the next update? Or as an option to be unlocked in My Tesla account?

Tesla Technical Support response to that email:

I have gone ahead and requested that your local Service Center reach out to you as soon as possible in regards to this issue.

NOW:
If you recall my previous post, it was at my Service Center that we discover that the Blue Trailer Icon displays on the instrument panel when the trailer light tester was plugged in and the Service Center that told me that when in Trailer Mode certain systems will be disabled.

THE BOTTOM LINE:
From my perspective, I can tow. I just down have the ability to engage or exit Trailer Mode manually via the touchscreen Controls > Driving > Trailer Mode.

Hope this helps.

So check under your bumper first and see if you have the hardware. If you do, test the trailer lights before going to your SC.
I think we all just need to keep emailing them to get the Trailer Mode software as an option to be unlocked in the My Tesla account.

As for the annoying noise when backing up with the a bike/bike rack, there is a mute button on the bottom right of the 17" display that has worked for me.

Seems like there still is a lot of conflicting data on this subject. I have contacted my Tampa SC with the same line others have received..."retrofit option is not available". I did not order the accessory or tow hitch packages. I took delivery of my MX90D Dec 2016. Kicking myself for not ordering the tow package right now...

FYI - talked to my SC yesterday. Details for those interested:
  • Helps to give the part number (1111273-00-A), this is a very new service and most places won't have seen it yet.
  • Cost is $1,250.
  • Wait time to schedule the add-on is ~2 weeks (likely varies by SC).
  • Parts are available, but not something they keep in stock.
  • Likely a one-day (or partial day) service. (may also vary)

That makes the $750 option cost at purchase look like a good deal.
I've said it many times before, so I'll go ahead and say it again -- it's a fantastic deal at purchase. Upgrading to the Helix wheels is $2500. When I configured, upgrading the trim was $750 and that was my benchmark comparison, but that's not an option anymore so I guess I'll go with the wheels. How much more utility do the Helix wheels give you? Very little! But a towing package can really extend the usefulness of the X.

I really appreciate the information from this thread.We were originally told that we could not get the accessory hitch installed after deliver. And as a family of 4 that enjoys traveling to sites to go bike riding this was a real let down. I will be calling my local SC to schedule the installation to occur before summer.

I assume for those with the accessory hitch we can pay $500 to turn the towing mode on? Our 60D was delivered a week ago. We ordered August 2016 with the accessory hitch and put a 6 month delay on it. From what I've seen in this thread it's the full towing package minus the software.

Reactions: goneskiian
I ordered the accessory hitch, and before configuring was told it's no longer avail and I would get free upgrade to tow pack. Then on delivery I got the surprise of having the useless accessory hitch.
It looks like a 2" ball adaptor would slot in ok but the data plate on the actual tow bar bolted to the back of the car under the bumper is not the same as the full tow pack data plate. According to the Bosal web site, the data plate does not have all the details that a fully compliant tow bar would have. Very confusing and nobody seems to know for sure if the tow bar is good for towing, although the little 1.25" tow ball adaptor that came with it says good for towing to 2000lb trailer weight.
Bosal not returning emails and tesla just won't answer the question.

I ordered the accessory hitch, and before configuring was told it's no longer avail and I would get free upgrade to tow pack. Then on delivery I got the surprise of having the useless accessory hitch.
It looks like a 2" ball adaptor would slot in ok but the data plate on the actual tow bar bolted to the back of the car under the bumper is not the same as the full tow pack data plate. According to the Bosal web site, the data plate does not have all the details that a fully compliant tow bar would have. Very confusing and nobody seems to know for sure if the tow bar is good for towing, although the little 1.25" tow ball adaptor that came with it says good for towing to 2000lb trailer weight.
Tesla never delivered an Accessory Hitch, and as far as I know, a non-functioning prototype was shown only once on Sept 29, 2015.

You have the actual Tow Hitch, but Tesla may have limited it since people that paid full price for it may have felt ripped-off. I think they simply disabled the towing software. I would be surprised if the hardware is different from the full towing package.

the data plate on the actual tow bar bolted to the back of the car under the bumper is not the same as the full tow pack data plate. According to the Bosal web site, the data plate does not have all the details that a fully compliant tow bar would have.
Do you have a photo of this plate from your vehicle? Or the Bosal model number? I'd be happy to compare with mine.

Tesla never delivered an Accessory Hitch, and as far as I know, a non-functioning prototype was shown only once on Sept 29, 2015.

You have the actual Tow Hitch, but Tesla may have limited it since people that paid full price for it may have felt ripped-off. I think they simply disabled the towing software. I would be surprised if the hardware is different from the full towing package.

Do you have a photo of this plate from your vehicle? Or the Bosal model number? I'd be happy to compare with mine.
If this is indeed the case, it would be THE ONLY confirmed delivery of a hitch with different load rating sticker. It could be that it's because you're in Australia.