Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Confirmation - you can add accessory or towing package after delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any 2 inch ball will fit but there are restrictions on the hitch receiver that show that you can't have a drop, can only have a < 0.75" rise, and the ball mount should not extend more than 8" from the hitch pin.

I'd eventually want a higher quality aluminum ball mount, but I did initially pick up one from harbor freight that fits our car for $12 ($15-20% online coupon)

For anyone new to towing, this + a $3 pin is basically all the additional parts needed to start small and simple towing.

img_3215-jpg.222166

Throwing in a couple additional pictures of measurements for anyone who is interested:

12" to center of hitch
15.5" to top of ball with the above

img_3220-jpg.222164

img_3225-jpg.222165

Attachments

• IMG_3220.JPG
    IMG_3220.JPG
    359.1 KB · Views: 430
  • IMG_3225.JPG
    IMG_3225.JPG
    329 KB · Views: 872
  • IMG_3215.JPG
    IMG_3215.JPG
    302.1 KB · Views: 413
  • Informative
Reactions: Cowby and ohmman
I think it's all bullsh%t. 120lb limit is ridiculous for a hitch mounted rack. It's their way of not assuming any liabiiity. I'd say double their rated limit and you'd still be in good shape. But I'm not an engineer and I wasn't involved in the design of this hitch. Do what you are comfortable with.
I agree. I've stated here numerous times. The rack I bought weighs 82 lbs. (when configured to hold 4 bikes), and is rated to carry up to 50 lbs. per bike slot for a total of 282 lbs. I would not hesitate to load it up.

As it is, I'll likely never own a bicycle that weighs 50 lbs., but I do own bikes that weigh close to 30 lbs. so I could see up to 202 lbs. on the hitch.

• Helpful
Reactions: Cowby
And to think I bought my MX specifically to move four bikes.... So far it's been doing fine, and the idea of a SUV with a 2-inch receiver unable to carry four bikes is simply ridiculous. There are mid-size sedans managing this just fine. Looking at other SUVs like BMW, they have similar tongue weights (600lbs). It really looks like 90% of people carrying four bikes on a hitch rack are going over the max rate of their hitch. Finally, figuring this out has been a multi-month endeavor on the forums. Pretty lame.

And to think I bought my MX specifically to move four bikes.... So far it's been doing fine, and the idea of a SUV with a 2-inch receiver unable to carry four bikes is simply ridiculous. There are mid-size sedans managing this just fine. Looking at other SUVs like BMW, they have similar tongue weights (600lbs). It really looks like 90% of people carrying four bikes on a hitch rack are going over the max rate of their hitch. Finally, figuring this out has been a multi-month endeavor on the forums. Pretty lame.

I agree it's ridiculous, but what if the hitch collapsed while driving on the highway?!

Then how can people move 4 bikes?
Unfortunately, with a different vehicle or a different hitch.

There's also the obvious (and overkill) answer. Get a trailer to tow the 4 bikes.

mcblkrear.jpg

There's 4 slots, one for each bike. Will it look silly? Yes. Is it stupid? Yes.

It is it a royal pain in the butt? Yes, just like the inability of the 2nd row to fold (on 3 row cars) and now I need to get a trailer to haul a dog crate. But technically, it's within specs.

Reactions: Cowby
I can also confirm that the tow hitch can be added after delivery on the Model X. Mine was added today at the Boston (Watertown) SC. They did a great job, as usual, and I believe it was the first add on hitch they have done. Again, 5-star service experience. Tesla service continues to be the best I have ever had in any luxury vehicle.

Some pics below...

FullSizeRender (7).jpg

IMG_0218.JPG

IMG_0220.JPG

I'm counting on you, @Racerx22b, to let us know of a fail first thing.

Tesla certainly has sent us mixed signals about the hitch, from accessory or towing differences, to whether you could get it installed after delivery. If you look at the rack on the Tesla website, it is for four bikes: Tesla — Model X Hitch Rack

The clear disclaimer that you can use only two of the slots unless you bikes are sub-20lbs is new. The site used to differentiate between he 1.25" inch accessory hitch and the 2" inch tow package. The limitations before applied to the accessory hitch. We've been getting mixed signals on this from day one, and I am sure I am not the only one who assumed you could carry four 30lbs bike on a 2-inch hitch rack with a 500lbs rating.

I did some poking around, and the general convention seems to be that 50% of tongue weight is safe for hitch racks. That would mean up to 250lbs for the X. My setup is 200lbs. I'm going to us it this way and not sweat it. If it fails, I'll find myself dragging a hitch rack on the highway like a sled with a trail of sparks. Hopefully by then I will have my Blackview cam installed, and share the show.

I can also confirm that the tow hitch can be added after delivery on the Model X. Mine was added today at the Boston (Watertown) SC. They did a great job, as usual, and I believe it was the first add on hitch they have done. Again, 5-star service experience. Tesla service continues to be the best I have ever had in any luxury vehicle.

View attachment 222976

Looks great! Do you mind sharing the cost to get it done?

Reactions: Jonathan Hewitt
Looks great! Do you mind sharing the cost to get it done?
Anyone in SoCal get this done in Costa Mesa, Buena Park, etc and have pricing info or feedback on the process?

Step1: Go to Tesla — Tow Package
Step 2: Click add to cart
Step 3: Select your location
Step 4: Click checkout to pay the $1250 + tax

Your SC will be in touch to schedule the actual install.