Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Confirmed 150kW FL Superchargers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got 134kW at 45% charge at the Sarasota Superchargers (obviously not sharing with another car). I did put the Supercharger in the destination about 15 minutes before I got there. I have a 2017 Model S 100D.

I need to let the battery go down to 10% and try it to see if I can get the full 150kW, but it's so rare that I even get below 50%...

• Helpful
Reactions: hcdavis3
132kW at Alafaya/Waterford Lakes.

The SC info on the maps shows which ones are 150kW, right? Is that info not reliable?

20190513_124503.jpg

132kW at Alafaya/Waterford Lakes.

The SC info on the maps shows which ones are 150kW, right? Is that info not reliable?
If you are referring to the Find Us map, none of the Supercharger Stations reported here as being over 120 kW, including the one you reported, are listed at 150 kW on the maps.

As of today, the Find Us maps all are listed as up to 120 kW.

I haven't checked them all, but the navigation system in the cars seem to be up to date and show the added capacity. For example, Sarasota is showing 150 kW.

Larry

Last edited:
If you are referring to the Find Us map, none of the Supercharger Stations reported here as being over 120 kW, including the one you reported, are listed at 150 kW on the maps.

As of today, the Find Us maps all are listed as up to 120 kW.

I haven't checked them all, but the navigation system in the cars seem to be up to date and show the added capacity. For example, Sarasota is showing 150 kW.

Larry

I meant the Nav system. Everything local (that I have checked) shows up as 150kW here in Orlando.

I can confirm 150W at the Wawa off Blue Heron & I-95 in WPB.

But today, I did get the "Can only charge to 80%" notification when I charged.

I was the only car charging during the 30 minutes....

I received the same notification here and only half the chargers were in use. This is a massive problem. Tesla has no idea where I am going or If I am towing something. How many passengers I have. What kind of weather I may encounter. What kind of traffic I might get stuck in. If roads are unexpectedly closed... I could go on and on. They MUST remove this "feature" immediately. The already biased press would have a field day if this somehow went viral. The range anxiety stigma is probably the single biggest deterrent for most people going all electric and now Tesla is gonna limit how much you can charge. I routinely charge to 15-20% more than I need and on two occasions it has saved my behind because of unexpected road closures.

IMG_4989.jpeg
IMG_4990.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18
I received the same notification here and only half the chargers were in use. This is a massive problem. Tesla has no idea where I am going or If I am towing something. How many passengers I have. What kind of weather I may encounter. What kind of traffic I might get stuck in. If roads are unexpectedly closed... I could go on and on. They MUST remove this "feature" immediately. The already biased press would have a field day if this somehow went viral. The range anxiety stigma is probably the single biggest deterrent for most people going all electric and now Tesla is gonna limit how much you can charge. I routinely charge to 15-20% more than I need and on two occasions it has saved my behind because of unexpected road closures.

View attachment 415013 View attachment 415014
You can charge over 80% if you have entered the charger as a destination. It lets you blow right past the limit.

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18 and Seven7
You can charge over 80% if you have entered the charger as a destination. It lets you blow right past the limit.

You don't even half to do that. You can slide your charge limit back to 90% or higher. But I see this as the first step towards them actually limiting you. I hope they never do it. Big mistake on Tesla's part if they do.

If someone gets stranded in the middle of nowhere because of an unexpected detour and something happens to them they will have a massive payday from Tesla if the limited charge was the cause.

If someone gets stranded in the middle of nowhere because of an unexpected detour and something happens to them they will have a massive payday from Tesla if the limited charge was the cause.
Pure horseshit. Access to supercharging is a service that Tesla chooses to make available to their customers, not some right of the car owners. So long as they aren't being discriminatory, Tesla can choose to limit that offering in any way they'd like without fear of legal repercussions over the impact of those changes. They could announce at noon tomorrow that as part of a cost cutting plan they were shutting off all superchargers effective immediately and no one could say boo to them. They'd have a lot of angry customers and probably lose any chance of selling most of them another car, let alone scaring off many/most of their potential customers. But that's it. Unless people happen to have some previously unannounced contract with Tesla wherein Tesla has guaranteed them access to supercharging?

I mean, this is still America, so anyone can sue for anything. But anyone trying to sue Tesla because the 80% supercharger limit resulted in problems will have to hope that Tesla chooses to settle their nuisance case out of court because there is absolutely no way they win such a case on the merits of the situation.

• Disagree
Reactions: Racerx22b and X Fan
You don't even half to do that. You can slide your charge limit back to 90% or higher. But I see this as the first step towards them actually limiting you. I hope they never do it. Big mistake on Tesla's part if they do.

Hi Jason,

There's nothing wrong with charging with a conservative approach. That's what I do, especially here in Florida where an unexpected torrential downpour can seriously degrade range. However, it seems that you have addressed your own concern when you stated: "You can slide your charge limit back to 90% or higher." As long as Tesla owners can adjust the charge limit to whatever they desire, it really isn't a great hardship to initially default to 80%. So this is not a "massive problem" and there's no need to exaggerate the issue. Reminding owners to avoid charging to high states of charge at busy Supercharger Stations will benefit everyone and for those that wish or need to charge at above 80%, it's a trivial "inconvenience" to adjust the charge limit as needed over the 80% default.

Larry

Hi Jason,

There's nothing wrong with charging with a conservative approach. That's what I do, especially here in Florida where an unexpected torrential downpour can seriously degrade range. However, it seems that you have addressed your own concern when you stated: "You can slide your charge limit back to 90% or higher." As long as Tesla owners can adjust the charge limit to whatever they desire, it really isn't a great hardship to initially default to 80%. So this is not a "massive problem" and there's no need to exaggerate the issue. Reminding owners to avoid charging to high states of charge at busy Supercharger Stations will benefit everyone and for those that wish or need to charge at above 80%, it's a trivial "inconvenience" to adjust the charge limit as needed over the 80% default.

Larry

Hi Larry,

With all due respect Larry, you do things your way and I'll do them my way. The path I see is that it is now it is something I can override but in the future that may not be the case. I prefer to express my "outrage" now rather than later when they actually do limit you. In fact, if you weren't an informed Tesla owner you likely would not realize you could override this. For proof, just read the warning. It makes no mention this is something you can override. It clearly states you can MAX BATTERY CHARGE 80%. Not something like, please limit your charge to 80% as this is a high usage Supercharger.

To clarify, what I think is a massive problem is that Tesla hits you with this warning when the charger is not in high demand. I've received this warning a few times now and never once was the charger above 50% capacity. They absolutely know how many chargers are in use and could easily program this warning to appear only when applicable. This is a stupid and lazy oversight.

And before you try to say all Tesla owners would know this allow me to tell you that you are wrong. Spend some time in the service department and listen to the questions Tesla owners (some of them longtime owners) ask. It blows my mind at the ignorance some people have about their car, what it can do, and how charging works. I can't tell you how many people I have educated on the paired stalls of superchargers. To me, that is truly basic knowledge.

Most of us on here live in a different Tesla bubble than many Tesla owners. We're knowledgeable on almost every in and out of every software version while others go clueless.

Pure horseshit. Access to supercharging is a service that Tesla chooses to make available to their customers, not some right of the car owners. So long as they aren't being discriminatory, Tesla can choose to limit that offering in any way they'd like without fear of legal repercussions over the impact of those changes. They could announce at noon tomorrow that as part of a cost cutting plan they were shutting off all superchargers effective immediately and no one could say boo to them. They'd have a lot of angry customers and probably lose any chance of selling most of them another car, let alone scaring off many/most of their potential customers. But that's it. Unless people happen to have some previously unannounced contract with Tesla wherein Tesla has guaranteed them access to supercharging?

I mean, this is still America, so anyone can sue for anything. But anyone trying to sue Tesla because the 80% supercharger limit resulted in problems will have to hope that Tesla chooses to settle their nuisance case out of court because there is absolutely no way they win such a case on the merits of the situation.

Yep, this is America. The country where someone sued McD's and won cause their coffee was hot and burned them when they spilled it on themselves. While I agree Tesla could shut them down I am sure this would be challenged promptly by Tesla owners like myself that had free supercharging for life as a feature on our cars. And we would win. Please show me Supercharging terms language that says Tesla can just decide at any point to remove or limit this benefit. I can't find anything out there. On my Tesla account page, it says free Supercharging for life and this will transfer to the new owner as well. There is no asterisk.

While I agree Tesla could shut them down I am sure this would be challenged promptly by Tesla owners like myself that had free supercharging for life as a feature on our cars. And we would win. Please show me Supercharging terms language that says Tesla can just decide at any point to remove or limit this benefit. I can't find anything out there. On my Tesla account page, it says free Supercharging for life and this will transfer to the new owner as well. There is no asterisk.
Wrong again. How did I know, when I wrote my previous, that someone would try to make this argument? Your offer/guarantee is for free access to the supercharging service. That comes with the innate caveat of "so long as the service is accessible." Tesla limiting access to the superchargers or shutting them down totally wouldn't in any way breach their agreement with you. You seem to be under the mistaken impression that such actions have to be supported and allowed by explicit language in a contract between you and Tesla, when in fact it is exactly the opposite. Please show me the language in your MVPA that guarantees that Tesla "will" or "shall" provide such a service at all or that such service must remain totally unfettered. All they've guaranteed you is that when you make use of a service they currently offer, you won't be charged and that they won't reverse course and start charging you after you've supercharged X number of times or Y kWh. Meaning only that if you supercharge, you won't have to pay for it. There's no guarantee that Tesla will continue to provide supercharger access.

For a simple and direct example that clearly shows this is the case, look at Tesla owners with the same free supercharging for the life of their vehicle who live in Alaska or Hawaii. Tesla, by (so far) choosing to not put superchargers in those states, has denied them access to supercharging just as thoroughly as if they chose to shut down the network tomorrow. Can HI or AK owners sue to force Tesla to put superchargers within driving range just because their car came with free supercharging? Answer, No. Or rather, they couldn't win such a suit. Just like your hypothetically suing owners wouldn't.

Jason,

With all due respect, please don't put words in my mouth and then declare me wrong for something that I clearly didn't say.

Larry

The "YOU" was meant to cover anyone out there attempting to argue this point. Sorry for any confusion. While I take your point that I am being very presumptive in the upcoming rebuttal my comeback on that is I have been on this forum for years and find many people come back with some version of this POV and forget the vast majority of Tesla owners are not as informed as those on this forum.

Can HI or AK owners sue to force Tesla to put superchargers within driving range just because their car came with free supercharging? Answer, No. Or rather, they couldn't win such a suit. Just like your hypothetically suing owners wouldn't.

They bought their Teslas knowing they had no access to Superchargers. This argument is pointless. You wouldn't sue for getting access removed to something you never had access too.

I am not sure why you are so passionate about arguing in defense of Teslas right to take away this service. If I offer you lifetime access to my private beach club if you pay a premium for a condo then a month later I tear down the beach club I would bet you're gonna be first in line to complain. When I explain I only offered you access to it but no guarantee it'll be there I am sure you would walk away and be like "Oh yeah, that makes total sense. No problem:"