Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Confirmed MY changes and updates since launch?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Someone else here inquired at their service center and were quoted $1400 to replace all four windows.

That is odd. I thought that only the front two windows are laminated. A mobile tech replaced one of my windows that was scratched when I got it. It takes less than 30 minutes. The glass is small, maybe $100. I would expect the job to be $400 or less.

I am doing an overnight test drive of a 2021 vin 69xxx w/ front laminated windows and can honestly say I don’t notice any reduction in cabin noise.

I currently own a 2018 M3 w/ 19” wheels and feel like the road noise is quite loud. I couldn’t tell any real difference in the MY and db meter readings seem to confirm there is no difference. I think the impact of these windows on cabin noise is a little overstated.

I did however notice reduced wind noise in the MY but my M3 is an earlier VIN and has lots of wind noise so that’s my only real reference point.

I read that the laminated windows aren't to affect regular road noise, instead it quietens the noise of other vehicles passing to the side.
It’s also harder to break; which can be good and bad. Good in terms of keeping the bad guys out (it doesn’t shatter like a tempered glass window does, and instead breaks but keeps the glass together, the same as your front windshield does. In the fire department we use a sawzall to cut through laminated glass), but the bad part is it’s harder to break if you had to get out quickly. You can’t use a window popper to break the window. So it’s good and it’s bad. And I’VE HEARD the reason the back windows MIGHT NOT be laminated is because there isn’t that manual release that we have on the front doors. The manual release would help with getting out quicker, but the rear manual release isn’t as easy or accessible.