TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

CONFIRMED: Test ride the Model 3!

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by satheesh.net, Mar 19, 2016.

1. satheesh.net

satheesh.net Member

#1 satheesh.net, Mar 19, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2016
    A great news to all who are invited and attending the unveiling of the Model 3 at the end of the month. There will be given test rides after the event!

:)

image.jpeg

• Informative x 4
    • Like x 2
  2. Tam

Tam Active Member

SweeeeeT!

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like x 1
  3. jkk_

jkk_ Member

That sounds like you will be able to sit in the prototype(s) of Model 3 and a Tesla employee will drive you around? As opposed to you taking a test drive yourself. Or am I misinterpreting the wording?

Regardless, sounds very cool and congratulations, hope you have a nice time!

4. WarpedOne

WarpedOne Supreme Premier

Those will be some awesome pictures, there are not many pictures that you can sit and ride around in...

• Funny x 5
  5. Tam

Tam Active Member

No. You are not misinterpreting at all.

When there is a very limited resource as in "prototype," they don't want to risk putting you behind the wheel :)

6. EV Guy

EV Guy Member

Does this mean Tesla are perhaps further forward in the development process being able to offer rides in the Model 3? Could it possibly signal an earlier (fingers crossed) or at least on time deliveries of the first production cars. I'd love to know what you all think.

• Like x 1
  7. Colsla

Colsla Member

Other people have mentioned that Tesla has always had 'driveable' prototypes at a reveal event. So I don't think people being able to ride in a model 3 necessarily means it is ahead of schedule. I would be happy to be proven wrong though :)

• Like x 2
  8. Tam

Tam Active Member

There are just too many variables from now to 12/31/2017.

However, at least as you pointed out, test ride is a very much welcome sign.

It's even more welcome than some who have suggested that we would only see pictures!!!!

Prototypes of Model S and Model X were both functional too. I wasn't there so I don't know whether a ride was offered to all attendees in each unveiling but I am for sure that I read on the news that the press did get a ride for each of those prototypes S and X.

Thus, a running prototype doesn't mean you'll get them any quicker.

It just means please don't say that they are still at the stage of etching pictures!

9. WarpedOne

WarpedOne Supreme Premier

My gut feeling is they are further along than popular belief.
    Forget about 2 year delays, If anything Elon got a few lessons... there is this saying, translated roughly as Bet on yourself and your own horse.
    I very much doubt there will be "non-workable-transmission" and "non-workable-doors" scenario this time.
    All critical systems will be build in house from raw materials. Anything brought in from ouside will have multitude of sources.

They can't bet their home on incompetent germans anymore.

• Like x 3
  10. GSP

GSP Member

When Tesla unveiled the Roadster, they gave test rides at the event. California's Governer, Arnold Schwarzenegger, attended.

I wonder where Tesla has Ben testing the prototypes? Perhaps only inside the Fremont factory? They have done a great job of keeping them secret, with no spy shots or other leaks.

GSP

11. satheesh.net

satheesh.net Member

Maybe they took the body of the Model S and created a disguise on top of the Model 3 and then hit the test track?

Anyways, I'm also very impressed that they got this working prototype under the radar. Oh wait! Maybe that's their newest addition to their already crazy features, stealth mode! Bio Defense and stealth mode, the only thing missing is bulletproof mode. Or wait, maybe... ;)

• Like x 1
    • Dislike x 1
  12. Tam

Tam Active Member

#12 Tam, Mar 20, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
    I would say the same.

Beside of what we already know that there's a Tesla Fremont outdoor test track,

Patrick Herbert also reported on 9/30/2011 the Tesla Fremont indoor test track:

The indoor test track for the cars

[​IMG]

13. SureValla

SureValla Member

To give 800 people test rides they are going to need more than one prototype. Sounds to me as if a fleet will be present.

I'm speculating here but comitting to more than one prototype says a lot about how far along the car is.

• Like x 2
  14. SureValla

SureValla Member

Let's say each ride can hold 3 guests (plus one tesla driver). Test drive in this video, take, ~2 minutes total if you include time to unload and load.

So...

800 guests / (3 guests/ ride) * 2 minutes/ ride = 533 minutes or 9ish hours

To cut that down to an hour to do all the rides they need at least 9 cars. Preferably 18 so waits are only 30 minutes max.

• Like x 2
  15. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

The invite says rides will be on a first come first serve basis at check-in. In other words, not everyone at the reveal will get one.

At the D event they handed you a sequence number at check-in. Those unfortunate enough to check in late had to wait for hours. Worse, they didn't hand out all numbers in sequential order, so even if you checked in early you might have ended up in the middle of the pack.

16. ModelNforNerd

ModelNforNerd Active Member

based on what the Wall Street analysts who toured Fremont recently said about its readiness to ramp up production, as well as the fact that they have a driveable prototype (maybe multiples), then I don't think we'd be out of line in thinking that TSLA can at least hit their delivery target of "late 2017". Of course, anything after June 30th counts as the 2nd half of 2017, right?

The only factor at this point that we don't know much about is the readiness of the Gigafactory to start pushing these batteries out in a large quantity.

**Fingers crossed**

17. pox

pox Member

What if they are self driving and they cram 5 people in each car then only 5 and half hours ;)

• Funny x 6
    • Like x 2
  18. Urgo

Urgo Member

"After the unveil, rides will be available to all guests. Ride times will be allocated on a first-to-arrive basis at check in"

Just to throw this out there, though it probably is of the model 3, it doesn't say specifically which car you'll be riding in (also note "ride" not "test drive"). They could be using the the S and X (also?).

19. sandange

sandange sandange

Very encouraging, can't wait for ride reviews :)

20. jkk_

jkk_ Member

Nice catch, though as majority of the crowd is already Tesla owners, would it be so interesting to them? Being driven around the same model (although with probably different options) as they own? Of course there could be facelift off model S but I doubt it would be announced in the same evening as the 3?