Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Confirmed that I got the 82.1 kwh pack in my MY LR AWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bought the OBD2 harness and Dongle and bought Scanmytesla and as others have already suspected, it appears that all current production MY LR AWD appear to come with 82.1 kwh pack with 78.9kwh availavle and 3.5% buffer

Screenshot_20210628-190330.jpg

Where did you purchase the dongle & harness?

Installing the harness took less than 1 minute.. Used a paint can opener and inserted it under the carpet and pulled the cover off.. Popped right off..
(it's the cover in the back of the center console under the rear AC vents)

I just ordered the items from Amazon earlier this morning to confirm. I figure I'll probably use this for something else at some point. I've always had the ability to scan my VW's and Audi's and it's come in really handy from time to time.

Edit: are you leaving this plugged into your car all of the time? I probably will leave the harness in but not keep the bluetooth dongle connected all of the time.

Last edited:
I just ordered the items from Amazon earlier this morning to confirm. I figure I'll probably use this for something else at some point. I've always had the ability to scan my VW's and Audi's and it's come in really handy from time to time.
I have an OBD2 dongle that I used for my Hyundai Kona Electric which worked with the Torque Pro app.. Torque PRO is a pretty good app but not easy to set up..

I think the energy buffer SMT is reporting is at the bottom:

3.5kWh bottom buffer, so when you're charged to 79kWh you have 75.5kWh actual. With a max capacity limited to 79kWh there's also a ~3kWh buffer at the top.

That means that 0-100% in the car corresponds to 4-96% of the full 82kWh capacity.

I am very confused by one thing:

The EPA range for the 2021 MYLR is 326 miles, 27kWh/100 miles (or 270Wh/mile).
  • 75kWh/326 miles = 230Wh/mile
  • 82kWh/326 miles = 252Wh/mile
  • 88kWh = 270Wh/mile * 326 miles
I must be misunderstanding something about the EPA estimate...

I think the energy buffer SMT is reporting is at the bottom:

3.5kWh bottom buffer, so when you're charged to 79kWh you have 75.5kWh actual. With a max capacity limited to 79kWh there's also a ~3kWh buffer at the top.

That means that 0-100% in the car corresponds to 4-96% of the full 82kWh capacity.

I am very confused by one thing:

The EPA range for the 2021 MYLR is 326 miles, 27kWh/100 miles (or 270Wh/mile).
  • 75kWh/326 miles = 230Wh/mile
  • 82kWh/326 miles = 252Wh/mile
  • 88kWh = 270Wh/mile * 326 miles
I must be misunderstanding something about the EPA estimate...
EPA includes charging losses in their efficiency calculation

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
EPA includes charging losses in their efficiency calculation
That makes sense, thanks for the clarification!

"It took 87.868 kWh to add 77.702 kWh to the battery of the Long Range" - 77.702 / 87.868 = 88.4% charging efficiency... what charging equipment were they using? Most 240v sources seem to charge at >= 90% efficiency, 88.4% seems like a 120V charger but that would be an annoyance during testing. I guess that doesn't matter too much in this context.

From the EPA document they link, 77.7kWh were discharged in the range cycle, resulting in an EPA rating of 330 miles - 326 is/was a voluntary de-rating. That might explain why we're seeing MYs showing 330 miles when charged to 100%.

Also, they list a battery capacity of 165 Wh/kg * 480kg = 79.2kWh. That's very close to the "nominal full pack," 78.9kWh.

I'm betting that Tesla has decided to keep that top 3.5% as a buffer against capacity drop, plus it means the LR could keep its EPA rated capacity for a few hundred 80-20% discharge cycles.

That makes sense, thanks for the clarification!

"It took 87.868 kWh to add 77.702 kWh to the battery of the Long Range" - 77.702 / 87.868 = 88.4% charging efficiency... what charging equipment were they using? Most 240v sources seem to charge at >= 90% efficiency, 88.4% seems like a 120V charger but that would be an annoyance during testing. I guess that doesn't matter too much in this context.

From the EPA document they link, 77.7kWh were discharged in the range cycle, resulting in an EPA rating of 330 miles - 326 is/was a voluntary de-rating. That might explain why we're seeing MYs showing 330 miles when charged to 100%.

Also, they list a battery capacity of 165 Wh/kg * 480kg = 79.2kWh. That's very close to the "nominal full pack," 78.9kWh.

I'm betting that Tesla has decided to keep that top 3.5% as a buffer against capacity drop, plus it means the LR could keep its EPA rated capacity for a few hundred 80-20% discharge cycles.
Don't forget that Tesla heats the pack for fast charging and then, towards the end, it uses power to cool down the pack again.. All that consumes a lot of power..

Congrats on the larger battery pack. I got mine close to when you did and was wondering about your ~VIN. Mine is 1844XX.
Take Care
1868xx
I'm certain that you also have the larger pack. Based on some youtube videos, all MY made after February 7 have the 82 kwh pack

Reactions: Flightgamer