Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Gainesville, FL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Per @Larry Chanin post up-thread, this SC has not actually yet been granted a building permit. The application was submitted June 1 and expires Nov 28, so construction won’t begin until the permit is actually issued.

Not sure if the permit approval is waiting on the city or Tesla? We have contacts with the city if helpful to have them inquire?

Me too. Homecoming this weekend. Yes, charge close to full in Ocala because Gainesville for all their talk about green this and green that do not have any high speed chargers. There are a few level 2 at places like whole foods, but that's not enough to get SOC high enough for multiple launches with friends while up there :D:) On this forum there appear to be no Tesla owners living in Gainesville either.

Me too. Homecoming this weekend. Yes, charge close to full in Ocala because Gainesville for all their talk about green this and green that do not have any high speed chargers. There are a few level 2 at places like whole foods, but that's not enough to get SOC high enough for multiple launches with friends while up there :D:) On this forum there appear to be no Tesla owners living in Gainesville either.

There are level 2 chargers though in every parking garage At UF. I have seen at least two in each garage. Arrive early. If your going to Homecoming, you will be there for a while and at 29 miles per hour of charge that should give you a few launches, There is destination charging throughout Gainesville, level 2 and higher with HPWC. I have personally gotten 48 miles per hour of charge at a few.

I get it though, if your launching a lot and cannot get a level 2 or higher while there I would provisional Supercharge in Ocala also just to make sure.

map.JPG
There are level 2 chargers though in every parking garage At UF. I have seen at least two in each garage. Arrive early. If your going to Homecoming, you will be there for a while and at 29 miles per hour of charge that should give you a few launches, There is destination charging throughout Gainesville, level 2 and higher with HPWC. I have personally gotten 48 miles per hour of charge at a few.

I get it though, if your launching a lot and cannot get a level 2 or higher while there I would provisional Supercharge in Ocala also just to make sure.
Yeah I'm coming up and staying at a friends house. Ordered a 14-30 adapter but Tesla is taking forever to get it delivered and I won't have for this trip. So while I'm at friends house I'm 120v only which is not going to cut it. I'm not sure what destination chargers? I find none on Teslas map

View attachment 348337
Yeah I'm coming up and staying at a friends house. Ordered a 14-30 adapter but Tesla is taking forever to get it delivered and I won't have for this trip. So while I'm at friends house I'm 120v only which is not going to cut it. I'm not sure what destination chargers? I find none on Teslas map

I'm coming up for the weekend as well, my daughter is in her first year, hows your experience at the Superchargers from the south to the north for this homecoming weekend?

Have you ever waited in line for one on these heavy UF weekends games and the like?

I have never waited at a supercharger EVER up to and including Falcon Heavy launch which was the heaviest concentration of Tesla's at Kennedy Space Center I have ever seen in one place for one event.

Trying to gauge the best time to leave based on perhaps waiting at some Supercharger going up and coming back. Now with Model 3 its an unknown. I dread the day we wait for charging like they do in California even with the concentration of supercharging they have there.

I'm coming up for the weekend as well, my daughter is in her first year, hows your experience at the Superchargers from the south to the north for this homecoming weekend?

Have you ever waited in line for one on these heavy UF weekends games and the like?

I have never waited at a supercharger EVER up to and including Falcon Heavy launch which was the heaviest concentration of Tesla's at Kennedy Space Center I have ever seen in one place for one event.

Trying to gauge the best time to leave based on perhaps waiting at some Supercharger going up and coming back. Now with Model 3 its an unknown. I dread the day we wait for charging like they do in California even with the concentration of supercharging they have there.
It's my first big road trip with my model 3 so no experience yet. We are coming up Friday night so I know there should not be any issues with availability. We shall see about speed. In Fort Myers where I live, there are 2 supercharger locations. One is notably faster than the other(older) location.

Per @Larry Chanin post up-thread, this SC has not actually yet been granted a building permit. The application was submitted June 1 and expires Nov 28, so construction won’t begin until the permit is actually issued.

Not sure if the permit approval is waiting on the city or Tesla? We have contacts with the city if helpful to have them inquire?

Its probably neither, it could be Butler, they simply are not ready for the install based on other project(s) adjacent to where the superchargers are planned for install. Supercharging is not high on any centers list of most important projects.

Tenants, quality tenants, more tenants and build out are premium concerns. Then draw in other types of customers perhaps like Tesla owners with supercharging way down on priorities list- just sayin, we are great people, but not all centers depend on Tesla owners business.

Last edited:
It's my first big road trip with my model 3 so no experience yet. We are coming up Friday night so I know there should not be any issues with availability. We shall see about speed. In Fort Myers where I live, there are 2 supercharger locations. One is notably faster than the other(older) location.

You undoubtedly have an LR pack so you'll be fine. Smooth sailing from Ft. Myers. I would ,however be viewing those vacancies or lack thereof perhaps of Supercharging on the way to develop a plan forward, especially on Friday night.

I'm coming from Turnpike South to the North. There are superchargers, but with Friday traffic, Homecoming at UF, and a host of other events and the regular traveling public along with M3, MX and MS and great weather, things could get a little congested on Friday and Sunday. Again never seen it yet. I hope it never happens, waiting that is, at supercharging. Safe travels

I spoke to the property manager of Butler Plaza where this is going in yesterday. He told me they are trying to get it open by early December. To which I said would be near impossible, but he said they are trying for that. He said they are going in the last row of the parking lot of Bonefish, the lot behind Chili’s.

I spoke to the property manager of Butler Plaza where this is going in yesterday. He told me they are trying to get it open by early December. To which I said would be near impossible, but he said they are trying for that. He said they are going in the last row of the parking lot of Bonefish, the lot behind Chili’s.

Looking on Google maps, somebody has already put a Tesla super charger icon in that exact parking lot...

Seems like we all will be fighting for those charging spots!

That's great ground work Zach. Thanks for going that far. So, if we get in by February it'll be a plus. Any sooner will be a real push and miracle.

Thanks again.

Thanks Zach! It really only takes like 4 days to install once they are ready. I watched them complete the new Fort Myers one in less than a week for sure.

On the topic of congestion, I had an interesting experience last weekend. I travelled from Tampa to Tallahassee for what was supposed to be a football game..... The superchargers in Tallahassee and in Live Oak were the most crowded I have ever seen. I didn’t need to wait for a space, but I was was the fourth or fifth car out of six stations. I never have seen that many Teslas on those chargers.

If you plan to stop for a charge in the Tampa area while headed north on I-75, I recommend the newer Superchargers at the “WaWa” on 50th street (West of I-75) versus the older ones in Brandon off of SR 60. They are newer, faster, and IMHO easier to access. In my experience they also tend to be less crowded.

Safe travels!