Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Confirmed!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having seconds thoughts on the high power home charging option and asked about it before but didn't think much about road trips. Right now, I rarely go on road trips....maybe once a year. The new Tesla could change that with the twin chargers. My current house is older and as has a 100A at the main, but it sounds like I could still use the HPWC at lower amps...? However, my daily commute isn't much. So question is, is the high power home charging option worthwhile or not for road trips with a P85+? What made you decide to get it or not get it?

The dual chargers are only going to be useful if you find high power charging stations for road trips. The NEMA 14-50s we have access to at RV parks only require a single charger. Once the superchargers come in the dual chargers won't have much use at all.

I got the dual chargers because my schedule is unpredictable. There are instances where I may need to be able to charge at 80amps.

Also, consider a common scenario for me. I'll often head down to St George for a weekend after work. Before leaving I need to regain the miles I used that day (60 for my normal commute) and go to a full range charge. With the HPWC I can do that in just over an hour, about how long it takes to get the car loaded and the family out the door. Without the HPWC I would have to wait 2+.

Having seconds thoughts on the high power home charging option and asked about it before but didn't think much about road trips. Right now, I rarely go on road trips....maybe once a year. The new Tesla could change that with the twin chargers. My current house is older and as has a 100A at the main, but it sounds like I could still use the HPWC at lower amps...? However, my daily commute isn't much. So question is, is the high power home charging option worthwhile or not for road trips with a P85+? What made you decide to get it or not get it?
In Utah, I wouldn't bother. Tesla will build Superchargers there before anyone will build high-amperage AC chargers.

There are a bunch of 80 and 90 amp chargers in Canada and also in Washington State and some in New York, mostly from Sun Country Highway. Tesla is not building enough Superchargers out this way and is not building them quickly. Accordingly, I got twin chargers. I recommend them for people who plan to visit Canada, basically.

Welcome! And congratulations on your first post. May it be one of many as you learn from those who came before you and share with those who will come after you. You are now part of a growing community that is changing the automotive world in a dramatic fashion.

My car finally arrived yesterday!!! Ordered this car sight unseen, never driven and I want to thank everyone on this forum who helped answer my questions and put me at ease! MC Red is definitely beautiful!

20131230_140332.jpg

This couple from this transport service delivered THE most excellent job!!! They took great care in unloading my new car!!! Highly recommend! Santa does exist! Evidently he comes in a yellow sleigh these days.

20131230_140452.jpg

Last edited: