Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Conflicted feelings on the new Roadster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Then I think to myself, there will be other car makers piling into this market, and somebody out there will produce a less "extreme" electric sports car that might fit me better. (Something with an open top, please!) But who? And when? /QUOTE]
Saw on Twitter there was company making cheaper EVs than the Roadster but they were going bust because they spent all their money on Bitcoin, think their car was called Rockey 3, , Money 3 or something....

4 doors are stronger and therefore safer.
2 door just a "marketing ploy" to increase profits. (a design fad?)
[does leave a market niche for others to fill, go for it GM] no kids in tow, get a 2 seater
Elon seems to see volume increases his preferred path to more profits, IMHO.

Holy sweeping generalisations, lol!

In summary 4 doors are more practical, but don't look as sexy as an equivalent 2 door coupe. I wouldn't say 2 door cars are exactly a niche market or a design fad, well certainly not in Europe! With kids I much prefer 4-doors of course, but then I've successfully used a Porsche 911 for the school run for several years with 2 small kids. 2 seaters I just find too limiting, with or without kids. But I can live with 2-doors in a sports car with occasional rear seats, like the new Roadster, 911 etc. A Model 3 coupe would be a nice compromise for me as a second sporty car. The new Roadster is great, just too much car for nearly everyone's daily needs and wallet!

If Elon is focused on volume increases, then the Roadster doesn't fit that business model in the slightest. He would probably sell a $50K Model 3 based Roadster in a ratio of 1000/1 vs a $200K hypercar. The latter being a pure halo model to prove a point. As a marketing exercise it's great of course. Just be nice to see some variations on the Model 3 platform to go with the bread-and-butter 4 door saloon/sedan.

Then I think to myself, there will be other car makers piling into this market, and somebody out there will produce a less "extreme" electric sports car that might fit me better. (Something with an open top, please!) But who? And when? /QUOTE]
Saw on Twitter there was company making cheaper EVs than the Roadster but they were going bust because they spent all their money on Bitcoin, think their car was called Rockey 3, , Money 3 or something....

I'm currently considering a lightly used BMW i8 since prices have crashed. I know it's not a true EV, but fits the bill of a less extreme "electric" sports car. Still plenty quick enough for public road use and most importantly it's pretty lightweight in this company (1500 kg kerb weight) with correspondingly agile handling. Also new Roadster version now available, but too expensive new I think.

• Love
Reactions: Brando
@Peteski, Go for it, I drive an i8 coupe 2016. It’s plenty fast, it’s nimble, an eye catcher, futuristic, silent (if you want) - people appreciate guarantee you! I‘ll keep it until the new roadster hits the road and even then maybe longer, who knows?
A knew one gives you access to BMW‘s Pure Impulse Program for 3 years, tons of great events in all world, really special!

Reactions: Peteski
@Peteski, Go for it, I drive an i8 coupe 2016. It’s plenty fast, it’s nimble, an eye catcher, futuristic, silent (if you want) - people appreciate guarantee you! I‘ll keep it until the new roadster hits the road and even then maybe longer, who knows?
A knew one gives you access to BMW‘s Pure Impulse Program for 3 years, tons of great events in all world, really special!

Thanks for that, I'll try to get a test drive when I get some time. I've sat in one at a show and it's a great looking car. My wife has a 3 mile commute too, so perfect for the limited electric range!

Back to being conflicted, I am conflicted about what color to get. Dark is nice but perhaps a lighter color so that the car is more visible to other drivers. And will the car come in colors, rather than shades of black and white?

I remember well all the agonizing over color choices when we were all waiting on the original Roadster. (And then I ended up getting a used one in Stormtrooper White, which I never would have selected when pre-ordering, but now I love it.)

Check this → Tesla Roadster in colors

Although it's not stated on the site, he seems to have used the original Roadster's color options as his guideline.

I'm not gonna sweat it this time, though. Most likely I'll get basic black (my least favored color!) and then have it professionally vinyl-wrapped. Some folks have already been complaining about the limited color options of Model 3 and the extra cost for anything but black. Vinyl, guys! You can get almost any color and texture you can imagine. It'll protect your factory paint, and if decide after a couple of years that you'd like a color change, it's relatively cheap-and-easy to do.

• Informative
Reactions: Joerg and Brando
I remember well all the agonizing over color choices when we were all waiting on the original Roadster. (And then I ended up getting a used one in Stormtrooper White, which I never would have selected when pre-ordering, but now I love it.)

Check this → Tesla Roadster in colors

Although it's not stated on the site, he seems to have used the original Roadster's color options as his guideline.

I'm not gonna sweat it this time, though. Most likely I'll get basic black (my least favored color!) and then have it professionally vinyl-wrapped. Some folks have already been complaining about the limited color options of Model 3 and the extra cost for anything but black. Vinyl, guys! You can get almost any color and texture you can imagine. It'll protect your factory paint, and if decide after a couple of years that you'd like a color change, it's relatively cheap-and-easy to do.

Made a long-ass video with my comments on the Roadster like a week or 2 after the unveil. At the end I did some custom colors too from a different angle. I'd either go for the Red that it was unveiled in, or the Cobalt Blue, which is tunning in real life on an Aston Martin, so should look great here too.

Made a long-ass video with my comments on the Roadster like a week or 2 after the unveil. At the end I did some custom colors too from a different angle. I'd either go for the Red that it was unveiled in, or the Cobalt Blue, which is tunning in real life on an Aston Martin, so should look great here too.

I loved the look of the orange. Orange with white seats is a classic combination.

Reactions: aikisteve
I loved the look of the orange. Orange with white seats is a classic combination.
The orange is pretty special, and along with yellow or lightning green would be top of my list for paint, but no matter what color is underneath, I am definitely getting this car wrapped in plaid. I could never forgive myself if I didn't.

My only gripe against four-door cars is that the windows are kind of small, and there's the B-pillar right about where I might want my elbow to hang out! A two-door model with wide doors and windows feels more open, has better visibility.

Model 3 has a very nice cut-out in the pillar to rest your elbow.

elbow-room.png

• Love
Reactions: Brando