Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Conflicted. Help me decide :) Tesla, or wife?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I never thought that a Tesla would be in my future. Then came the CPO program, I took some savings, sold some stock, got a loan for the balance and got my lightly used S85. It is more car than I have any right to own, but was the fulfillment of a dream. Like many others on this forum, I desire a life free of Oil Dependency. America is addicted to the stuff and something has to change. I am doing my part to bring about that change. That being said I am also a geek and my S85 computer on wheels scratches that itch. On the whole I am so happy with my Tesla that I don't even mind that I just realized it may have been my "Midlife Crisis"! Tesla's are the very best cars on so many levels that you will not regret the decision if that is indeed the decision you make. I plan on driving mine for many years to come! Good luck on your process and I hope you join our Tesla family.

Peace,

Father Bill

Steve, your post made me chuckle. I was on the same boat as you are and many of us have gone through this. In the end, I purchased the MS and enjoyed every second of it when my wife lets me drive. :tongue: Trust me, if the wifey gives you the green light, take it. If you do not want to drop $100K on a car, check out the CPOs. I spoke with multiple CPO owners and I get the same answer every time, they love their MS.

Now your head hurts because of the test drive. You regret test driving it because now, everything in your mind, body and soulmate is sold on the car, except for the finance part. :biggrin:

99% of us here will tell you to pull the trigger. I say, do it. Wifey will be very happy.

Good luck!

Does your wife get better with time (through OTA updates)? Is your wife infinitely cheap when it comes to running costs? Is your wife quiet yet fast? Is your wife always ready to go in the morning? Can you pre condition your wife using a smart phone app?
^^ This really is the best argument I've seen in a while... 'preconditioning' is the ultimate luxury...! :biggrin:

I've skimmed the posts here quickly, so might have missed the point I'm going to make... hopefully not a complete repeat - but worth of repeating in my opinion anyway!

Yes, it's an expensive car. But it really is more than that, on many different levels. Everyone will have their own reason, or set of reasons, for justifying the purchase. For me, it was an opportunity to do the right thing, in a practical sense.

I've never hugged a tree. I don't have a long unkempt beard, wear Birkenstocks or eat granola. Not to disparage those who do, but it's important to understand that even though I'm more right wing than left wing economically and politically, I have a soul and conscience. Well, the ex might dispute that, but it's my story and I'm sticking to it... :cool:

Like many other owners, I spent way more on my Model S than I would have on any other car. ANY other car. If someone offered me a new Maserati at 50% of the typical price, I still wouldn't have bought it (except maybe to re-sell at a profit). I'm smart enough to see that the planet has a big problem - namely, us. If we're smart enough as a species to do something about it, it won't be without significant cost and disruption. Buying the car was my contribution to the change... I'm not dumb enough to think it will be my last. Yes, it's costly, but not as much as you'd expect when you amortize it over the longer haul. I can live, and work to earn a living as I need to with this car, but I wouldn't have been able to do so with a Leaf or similar. So the Tesla was the practical solution, and realistically, the only solution. When my home solar panels are finally installed, I'll generate more power than the car will consume in a typical year. I can drive virtually as much as I want with an entirely clear conscience. And the car is an advertisement that says "Change is possible, change is good, and change is pretty damn cool in this car!"

I've only had my car for a couple of months now, but I have ZERO regrets, unless you count 'why didn't I do this sooner?' as a legitimate regret. It's the best car I've ever driven - by leaps and bounds - period.

I guess what I'm saying is, this car isn't an extravagant purchase like an S-Class is at the same price. Yes, it's an expensive purchase, but it's completely justifiable at many different levels... unless you're putting your family in harm's way by stretching to do it.

So that's my conclusion... Expensive - yes, Extravagant - NO.

Wife vs. Model S? Wife... no question.

However, your real question is even easier to answer, because you are in a win-win situation. You will not regret it if you buy the Model S, and you will not regret it if you don't. Simple as that.

I agree with others that used or CPO is a great option if you can find what you want at the right price.