Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Conflicting parking brake failure messages

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

David29

Supporting Member
Aug 1, 2015
DEDHAM, MA
In the past few days, my 2015 Model S has displayed two messages I had never seen before. The first time, it said the parking brake did not engage when I parked it, and warned that the car might roll away. This struck me as curious because I would think that the PARK feature would hold it in place, and indeed it showed no movement when I parked it in my sloping parking space.

The next time I used it, there was no message.

The third day, however, driving off resulted in a message that said the parking brake did not release and that brake damage could result if I kept driving. I pulled over, rolled down the windows, put the car into neutral, and let the car roll. I felt no resistance and heard no noise at all, certainly not a dragging brake. After driving a couple of miles, I felt the parking brake calipers, and both were cool, so they could not have been on much, if at all. And when I parked again, the contrary message appeared again, saying the parking brake was not engaged and the car might roll.

I have an upcoming service appointment for something else, so I added this to the notes.

In the meantime, I am curious if anyone else has seen either of these messages and what the actual failure was.
(And before anyone asks, yes, I live in the snowbelt, and I do have Tesla do the brake clean/lube service each winter. This year, it was done in late February, and I have driven less than a thousand miles since then.)

Similar situation for me today - did you ever figure out what happened/caused the error message?

Yes, I did, and I thought I posted about that. I must have posted elsewhere, and I apologize.

Turns out that one or possibly both of my parking brake calipers had failed. The Tesla parking brake calipers of this vintage (2015) have a screw mechanism to apply the caliper against the disc, and that failed. Tesla service replaced the parking brake calipers on both wheels under my ESA for the $200 fee. (I do not know if both calipers actually failed but I am not complaining to have two new ones.)

Tesla told me that mobile service could not replace the calipers because it required lifting the car so I had to make a service center appointment.* With the Covid-19 shutdown, I was not using the car much anyway, so the extra wait (2 weeks or so) for a service appointment was only a minor inconvenience.

I was undecided whether or not to drive the car, or whether I should call for a flatbed. On a day before the appointment, I repeatedly set and unset the parking brake, hoping I might free up the caliper(s). When the day came for the appointment, the brakes did not seem to be dragging very much, so I decided to risk driving the car. I drove the car carefully to the service center, which is (fortunately for me) only about 3 or 4 miles away. I stopped twice to check that the brake discs were not heating up -- I did not want Tesla to tell me I had to buy new discs because they had been damaged. I had no problems with the short drive.

*Just because of coincidental timing, the service appointment also included replacement of my MC1 computer and screen for the memory failure repair. As I recall, the combined work took only one or two days. All well since then, both brakes and the computer.

If something like this happens while on the road? You can often free up the stuck p-brake by hitting park on/off multiple times. Once it releases? The offending brake can be removed in less than 10 minutes.

Chock all wheels to prevent car from rolling. Put into tow-mode. Tow-mode will back off both parking-brakes completely. Remove the wheel, unplug the cable to the p-brake, loosen the two bolts and remove it. Cancel tow-mode and remove wheel chocks.

Autopilot won’t work, but you can keep driving and the remains p-brake should be sufficient unless you park in SF.

Slightly used p-brakes can be sourced from eBay for cheap.