Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Confused about Autopilot discount

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought my M3 in July 2018 and did not get EAP. Now, if I read tesla's release correctly, I can upgrade to Autopilot for $2000 and then also get Full Self Driving for $3000 more? Is that right?
And when is this happening? My tesla.com account still shows these upgrades as costing $4000 and $7000 respectively. Anyone in my situation (early buy of M3 without EAP) able to upgrade at these new prices?
Thanks

The post stated "Beginning next month" - April.

Upgrading to Autopilot and Full Self-Driving Capability

Upgrading to Autopilot and Full Self-Driving Capability
The Tesla Team March 1, 2019

All customers who bought a Tesla before yesterday’s price decrease will be able to buy the Autopilot or Full Self-Driving capability for half of what those features would normally cost after initial purchase.

Autopilot, which enables automatic steering, accelerating and braking, normally costs $4,000 after delivery and Full Self-Driving normally costs $7,000 after delivery. Full Self-Driving capability includes Navigate on Autopilot, Advanced Summon, Auto Lane Change, Autopark and, later this year, will recognize and respond to traffic lights.

Any customer who bought a Tesla prior to this week’s price adjustment will be able to upgrade to Autopilot for $2,000 or Full Self-Driving capability for an additional $3,000 (those who previously purchased Enhanced Autopilot and want to upgrade to Full-Self Driving capability only pay $2,000). In other words, for a customer who previously hadn’t purchased Autopilot plus Full Self-Driving, they will soon be able to do so for $6,000 less than before. Customers who previously purchased Full Self-Driving will receive an invitation to Tesla’s Early Access Program (EAP). EAP members are invited to experience and provide feedback on new features and functionality before they are rolled out to other customers.

Beginning next month, any existing customer who wants to upgrade to Autopilot or Full Self-Driving capability will be able to do so with a one-click payment. There will be no need to call anyone, and it will be as easy as it was to order your car in the first place.

I bought my M3 in July 2018 and did not get EAP. Now, if I read tesla's release correctly, I can upgrade to Autopilot for $2000 and then also get Full Self Driving for $3000 more? Is that right?
And when is this happening? My tesla.com account still shows these upgrades as costing $4000 and $7000 respectively. Anyone in my situation (early buy of M3 without EAP) able to upgrade at these new prices?
Thanks

Yes, this is how I read it also. I got my 3 in May 2018. And my Tesla account page still shows 4000/7000 as the prices, even after a few Ctrl+F5 refreshes.

The basic autopilot really doesn't add lot of value, but FSD is what we almost got in the EAP trial version .. but if we want FSD now, then it's $11,000 as it automatically adds base autopilot as well.

So, you are not at all at loss ... you paid $5k (or $7k after trial) for most FSD capabilities, which is now $11k.

• Disagree
Reactions: fiatlux
Totally confused.

Does what was formerly called "EAP" now equal "FSD"?

Does "FSD" not equal what was formerly called "autonomous driving"?

I didn't buy EAP during ordering, but tried their 30 day trial .. After trial, I was offered the same EAP for $5500, I didn't take, and then I saw it jumped to $7000.

Now, when I login into my account, after I saw the new rates published, this is what I see:

Those 3 things you see under FSD (besides auto steer, etc.,) are exactly what we tried during EAP trial. Now, if I try to add FSD for $7000, it automatically adds 'Autopilot' for $4000.

In a way, for existing non-autopilot users, the price jumped from $7000 to $11000.

rPFHkVl.png

No, I bought it with the car. I wasn't sure I wanted it but was under the belief that buying it later would be more expensive.

You are probably not following Tesla closely for the past few years .. this is a company where prices keep falling, not go up :) And rightfully so, as their costs to produce are coming down significantly year after year, and they are able to offer same/more for less price.

You are probably not following Tesla closely for the past few years .. this is a company where prices keep falling, not go up :) And rightfully so, as their costs to produce are coming down significantly year after year, and they are able to offer same/more for less price.

Then how do explain the case above?

You could have got Autopark (part of EAP) for $5,500.

You waited, so now if you want Autopark, you have to pay $11,000.

Then how do explain the case above?

He could have got Autopark (part of EAP) for $5,500.

He waited, so now if he wants Autopark, he has to pay $11,000.

I know it sounds like the 2 posts from me are little contradictory but I missed on quoting the conditions. In general, the prices are coming down year over year for the actual car/hardware. Model 3 prices (and options/range) have been coming down in the last 2 yrs. They could finally come out with the 35k Standard range product too.

As for software like EAP, FSD etc., it's a see saw .. it went down, then up, and then down, and now again up. But again, there are several combinations for the EAP pricing. There is another thread on this forum, that listed several combinations for cars bought in 2019 (not 2018). There are many winners, and some losers on pricing vs value.

Reactions: Tam