Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Confused about charging in off-peak hours

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If your off peak is only 6 hours and your car needs 8 hours to charge, and the end of off peak is 8 hours from when you plug in, it will start charging immediately, regardless of whether off-peak time has started (it doesn't know because there isn't a place to enter off-peak start time, please show me this screen if you think this is untrue).
This is correct, it does prioritize charge up to level over charging exclusively in off-peak time and doesn't have an off-peak start time.

How often is an 8 hr charge necessary when charging with L2 or above? But one where you would prefer not to prioritize charge level instead of off-peak? Is this a common use case for you?

I'm trying to imagine such a situation.

Multiple off-peak periods coming per day (because of solar generation) will require a start-time and and end-time, so if they support that they will have to implement the additional start time, and a question whether to prioritize off-peak charging or getting up to the charge limit.

SDGE has the most miserly 6 hr off peak, but even that would give 6 * 240 * 32 = 46.1 kWh.

There is nothing to prevent it from charging when you plug it in unless you do scheduled charging but then it will continue to charge until it hits your desired charge level, even if that is after off-peak ends because there is no screen to enter off peak if you select schedule charge.

What's the specific use case you have in mind where the current situation is giving you a problem?

Reactions: gtae07 and E90alex
This is correct, it does prioritize charge up to level over charging exclusively in off-peak time and doesn't have an off-peak start time.

How often is an 8 hr charge necessary when charging with L2 or above? But one where you would prefer not to prioritize charge level instead of off-peak? Is this a common use case for you?

I'm trying to imagine such a situation.

Multiple off-peak periods coming per day (because of solar generation) will require a start-time and and end-time, so if they support that they will have to implement the additional start time, and a question whether to prioritize off-peak charging or getting up to the charge limit.

SDGE has the most miserly 6 hr off peak, but even that would give 6 * 240 * 32 = 46.1 kWh.

What's the specific use case you have in mind where the current situation is giving you a problem?
I have no issue. I pay $0.12/kwh 24 hours a day so I don't care when I charge. The person I was replying to stated they had problems because they were using L1 for a few months until they could install L2 and wanted a solution where they could put in hours where they didnt want it to charge and be able to leave it plugged in otherwise. And those hours changed depending on the season so there was a window they wanted to enter that would work with both seasons and not need to be changed. They were not able to get a full charge with L1.

We have a M3 and a mobile charger (came with car) that we run on a 240V-40A circuit so it charges at 32A (7.68kW). The "Vehicle will charge during off-peak hours to depart by 07:30" setting used to work well. Charging would start automatically a few hours (depending on level when parked and, typically, 80% limit) before 07:30. This was perfect because with my LADWP TOU rate Off-Peak ran 20:00 to 10:00.
The reason I'm in this forum now is that a few days ago, I noticed the charging started before 20:00. By the time I realized it, the car was almost up to 80% so I just let it finish and the cost will come out of my LADWP bank (I have Tesla PV + PowerWall).
My wife got home a few hours ago with about 65% charge level. As always she plugged in the NACS connector, but also set the desired charge level to 99% because we're leaving on a trip tomorrow morning. The car started charging immediately (around 17:45) thereby costing us peak rate. I noticed this around 19:00 because I happened to check my PowerWall level. The car was showing about 3.5 hours to desired charge level (so easily accomplished between 20:00 and 07:30), and I manually stopped the charging. Bottom line is that for some reason (and the app and car have gone through a few updates since I originally programmed the Off-Peak setting and the departure time) the system at the current revision level (2023.44.30.14 and 4.30.0-2221) is not respecting the "charge during Off-Peak hours" and this is, for us, a new situation.
When we return from our trip, I'll drop by the Centinela Bl service center (close to my home) and see if anyone shows sufficient interest in determining what's going on. (Not very hopeful...)

We have a M3 and a mobile charger (came with car) that we run on a 240V-40A circuit so it charges at 32A (7.68kW). The "Vehicle will charge during off-peak hours to depart by 07:30" setting used to work well. Charging would start automatically a few hours (depending on level when parked and, typically, 80% limit) before 07:30. This was perfect because with my LADWP TOU rate Off-Peak ran 20:00 to 10:00.
The reason I'm in this forum now is that a few days ago, I noticed the charging started before 20:00. By the time I realized it, the car was almost up to 80% so I just let it finish and the cost will come out of my LADWP bank (I have Tesla PV + PowerWall).
My wife got home a few hours ago with about 65% charge level. As always she plugged in the NACS connector, but also set the desired charge level to 99% because we're leaving on a trip tomorrow morning. The car started charging immediately (around 17:45) thereby costing us peak rate. I noticed this around 19:00 because I happened to check my PowerWall level. The car was showing about 3.5 hours to desired charge level (so easily accomplished between 20:00 and 07:30), and I manually stopped the charging. Bottom line is that for some reason (and the app and car have gone through a few updates since I originally programmed the Off-Peak setting and the departure time) the system at the current revision level (2023.44.30.14 and 4.30.0-2221) is not respecting the "charge during Off-Peak hours" and this is, for us, a new situation.
When we return from our trip, I'll drop by the Centinela Bl service center (close to my home) and see if anyone shows sufficient interest in determining what's going on. (Not very hopeful...)
Have you tried changing the settings away from how you want them then back to see if that resets them?

Have you tried changing the settings away from how you want them then back to see if that resets them?
Thanks for the suggestion. After posting the message (to see if anyone else was having same problem) I went a step further than your suggestion. I deleted the App and reinstalled it (and yes it was originally on the latest version). Since then, "depart by" is charging correctly starting during off-peak hours. (ie, plugged it in last night at 19:10; started charging this morning at 00:45/18% and finished at 06:42/80%)