Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Confused about charging in off-peak hours

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you do some searching on the forum, this has been explained. When you plug in, it will charge a bit to see what power is available. Then it will shut down and calculate when to start charging based on finishing at 6am. That number is set in stone for some reason and can’t be changed no matter what you enter.

Scheduled Departure
Ok after a few days it now doesn't start charging the minute I plug it in and starts about 11pm so I guess it needs to learn the charging capacity. Working as expected now. Thanks.

Glad it’s not just me - my off peak rate is between 00:30 and 04:30. I was hoping the upgrade for off-peak charging would enable me to schedule a start and finish time. Is there another way to do this?

I am on the same tariff. The other issue I had the other day was the lowest charge limit you can set is 50%. To get to 50% required me to charge more than 4 hours so I obviously overran the off peak tariff window. A technological and environmentally advanced car does not allow me to be technical and environmental. I jest but you get the point - could be so much easier.

We also have a MINI electric and that does allow you spec the off peak window. No idea why but you have to specify a departure time on the MINI. What has leaving got to do with charging? Sometimes I want to charge and not leave because of our 4 hour off peak window!

• Disagree
Reactions: Gasaraki
If you have time, please log in to your Tesla Support/Contact page and request an option for user inputting start and stop time to avoid sharing during the peak time.

I tried doing that but the option of sending a message from within your account has disappeared. Or if it hasn't my head was about to fall off before I could find it in the myriad of options. I am sure it used to be straightforward.

James

Correct. We can't send a message anymore. Only chat available after you pick all the dropdown menu:

Vehicle & App Features->Software & Firmware->Describe your question->Chat With Us.

Ok thanks. I still can't follow that at all. This is where things fall down. I can't get to your first item in my online Tesla account. Just don't see it. There is no option to chat anywhere or any search option. I am in the UK if that makes any difference.

...I am in the UK if that makes any difference.

I am sorry that I overlooked the UK website and I've been looking at the US site.

The UK support page should say:

"Can’t find what you are looking for?
If you still can't find what you're looking for in our support resources, contact customer support directly.

Local: 0162 845 0660"

You are lucky that the UK still has a phone number. The US page only leads to a chatting service with no phone number.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
I am sorry that I overlooked the UK website and I've been looking at the US site.

The UK support page should say:

"Can’t find what you are looking for?
If you still can't find what you're looking for in our support resources, contact customer support directly.

Local: 0162 845 0660"

You are lucky that the UK still has a phone number. The US page only leads to a chatting service with no phone number.

Ok thanks for looking. I guess I will wait and see if Tesla implement a defined off peak window and also lower the charge percent minimum for those of us who only have a four window of cheap off peak electricity. Unless you can do it for me!

Cheers

On my car I set off peak rates to end at 6am. My scheduled departure is 7:45am. My limit is set to 90%.

How will it charge during the night?

My assumption was it would charge to 85% right before my off peak rates end at 6am and then it’d charge the remaining 5% so that it finishes at 7:45am (some charging during peak hours). Is that correct?

Or does it charge to 90% right before off peak hours end, and then precondition the battery so that it’s ready at 7:45am? (No charging during peak hours. Electricity only used to precondition battery during peak hours)

Unless something has changed, scheduled departure wont charge past 6am. Dont bother with it. Just set your charging time to be during your off peak rates, whenever that is. Dont worry about "preconditioning the battery". Unless you are going on a long trip, its not necessary.

========================

(moderator note, moved post posts into a thread with the same question / subject)

Unless something has changed, scheduled departure wont charge past 6am. Dont bother with it. Just set your charging time to be during your off peak rates, whenever that is. Dont worry about "preconditioning the battery". Unless you are going on a long trip, its not necessary.

========================

(moderator note, moved post posts into a thread with the same question / subject)
It’s really cold outside so I wanted my battery to be warmed up before I left. It’s the morning now (7:37am) and I just noticed it still has the snowflake on the battery, only on the stats app though and not the Tesla app
Edit: looks like the Stats app was slow at keeping up. It was showing 89% and a snowflake on the battery where the Tesla app showed 90% and no snowflake. Took about 15 mins for the stats app to catch up for some reason

Last edited:
It’s really cold outside so I wanted my battery to be warmed up before I left. It’s the morning now (7:37am) and I just noticed it still has the snowflake on the battery, only on the stats app though and not the Tesla app
Edit: looks like the Stats app was slow at keeping up. It was showing 89% and a snowflake on the battery where the Tesla app showed 90% and no snowflake. Took about 15 mins for the stats app to catch up for some reason

Why, exactly do you want the battery to be warmed up because its cold outside? I understand why you would want the CABIN warm, but why do you want the battery warm? Are you going on a trip that will use most of the range of your battery (I am guessing no, but obviously dont know). Having a cold battery locks out some of the maximum range (if the battery is too cold, and prevents supercharging at maximum speeds (if its too cold). Are you doing either one of those things on your drive this morning?

Why, exactly do you want the battery to be warmed up because its cold outside? I understand why you would want the CABIN warm, but why do you want the battery warm? Are you going on a trip that will use most of the range of your battery (I am guessing no, but obviously dont know). Having a cold battery locks out some of the maximum range (if the battery is too cold, and prevents supercharging at maximum speeds (if its too cold). Are you doing either one of those things on your drive this morning?
Went on a trip that took my battery to 30%. I wanted a warmed up battery for increased efficiency, longer range and full regen as it’s 35f here. I take this trip weekly.

Went on a trip that took my battery to 30%. I wanted a warmed up battery for increased efficiency, longer range and full regen as it’s 35f here. I take this trip weekly.

Well, as I mentioned, unless something has changed, scheduled departure doesnt do any of those things you asked about. You likely just need to set a scheduled charging start time and ignore schedule departure, unless your departure on your trip is by 6am.

Scheduled departure is a bare bones thing at this time (as you can see from the threads on it) and I believe in all cases it stops charging by 6am.

Well, as I mentioned, unless something has changed, scheduled departure doesnt do any of those things you asked about. You likely just need to set a scheduled charging start time and ignore schedule departure, unless your departure on your trip is by 6am.

Scheduled departure is a bare bones thing at this time (as you can see from the threads on it) and I believe in all cases it stops charging by 6am.
It stopped charging at 6am, but scheduled departure turned the climate on so that the battery and cabin were warmed up prior to my 7:45am departure. This is exactly how I wanted it to perform so this is perfect for me.

I am on the same tariff. The other issue I had the other day was the lowest charge limit you can set is 50%. To get to 50% required me to charge more than 4 hours so I obviously overran the off peak tariff window. A technological and environmentally advanced car does not allow me to be technical and environmental. I jest but you get the point - could be so much easier.

We also have a MINI electric and that does allow you spec the off peak window. No idea why but you have to specify a departure time on the MINI. What has leaving got to do with charging? Sometimes I want to charge and not leave because of our 4 hour off peak window!
My Brotha. We, too, have a TM3 and a MINI SE!
(Post in thread 'What did you name your Tesla?' What did you name your Tesla?)

My charging matrix is further complicated by having two Gen 2 HPWCs connected and sharing a 60A circuit (although just barely so, because even when sharing the 48 Amps, both cars will go from 20% to "full" - 100% in the MINI and 80% in the TM3 - in about six hours, so I never really have to worry about it).

I agree that both cars have almost, but not quite, satisfying charging solutions. My flow chart would read like this, and it would be available from both the apps and the cars.

• What are your cheap rate windows? M-F, Sa, Su?
• By what time would you like the cabin climatized (MINI's word) M-F, Sa, Su?
• By what time would you like the battery preconditioned? M-F, Sa, Su?
• To what percentage SOC would you like the battery charged? M-F, Sa, Su?
• Preferred Amperage (or MAX) for charging? M-F, Sa, Su?
□ Charge in cheap rate window only, ignoring climatization, preconditioning, and SOC goals.
□ Maximize charging in cheap rate window, but prioritize climatization, preconditioning, and SOC goals.

It stopped charging at 6am, but scheduled departure turned the climate on so that the battery and cabin were warmed up prior to my 7:45am departure. This is exactly how I wanted it to perform so this is perfect for me.
OK... Let's pass some info to you. Don't shoot the passenger, it's just how the car works.

1) It's take about 5 mins to warm the cabin. No need to preheat that long.
2) The battery preheat will only go for about 20-30 mins. It will stop and the battery will still have regen dots and not be warm enough for supercharging, for example.
3) A warm battery doesn't increase efficiency enough to warrant the amount of power you use to warm it (usually). I think that's why Tesla stops warming the battery after a while even though the battery is not "warm".

I preheat the car also but I'm plugged in all the time. What I do is use the app about 20-30 mins before I'm leaving for work, turn on climate and then that's it. I have the car scheduled to start charging at night to take advantage of off-peak rates.

I have to say I am baffled by the way they did this, and surprised that in March it still is the same. The idea of scheduled departure time is actually pretty orthogonal to when I want to charge. I want to charge off-peak. That's it. If I also want some pre-conditioning that's something else.

It should be pretty simple. I set when off peak start and end. Or better still, it reads my location, figures out my electric company, shows me the different plans and I pick one, but I am happy just setting the time. And then, if it's low during those hours it charges. That's it. If I press "Charge on peak" then it will start charging or keep charging on-peak, but only do that when I manually ask for that, probably in the app.

Instead they made it not very useful. If you charge level 2, it's true it will fully charge during off-peak. But on level 1 sometimes it won't and I want it to stop when the price goes up.

Im a little confused and hope someone knows the answer to this: if I have off peak hours set to start at 10pm, but at 2pm (super peak hours) I turn climate on from the app and my charger is still plugged in, will it still use power from the wall or the car battery?

Basically, are off peak hours disregarded if the car remains plugged in? Will it always favor electricity from your home vs the battery?

FYI, the JuiceBox Pro remembers off-peak hours. Furthermore, it can use its internet connection to estimate when the grid's source is greenest and cheapest and charge then. (The UI is not obvious but they have videos to explain it.)

So in the Tesla controls I simply set the target SOC %.

The JuiceBox Pro can approximately stop charging at a target SOC %. That's useful for our Leaf.