Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Confused about free supercharging on older models

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi

I have a December 2014 model S (AP1) with free supercharging.
I was under the impression that at this age that it was unlimited.

I’m confused why I’m seeing countdown kWh’s in my account, any ideas? I though that only cars purchased after 2017 had the limited 400kwh supercharging free?

many thanks
Phil
948ECB0D-1DCB-4A21-9ED2-0A81AE06862B.jpeg

Hi

I have a December 2014 model S (AP1) with free supercharging.
I was under the impression that at this age that it was unlimited.

I’m confused why I’m seeing countdown kWh’s in my account, any ideas? I though that only cars purchased after 2017 had the limited 400kwh supercharging free?

many thanks
Phil
View attachment 433239

For clarification, when did YOU buy the car?

Yes, I believe you also had to buy the ability to Supercharge at all. OP, check your paperwork. If free Supercharging is not mentioned, you probably don't have it.

I though that the 60’s didn’t get supercharging and the only option was to enable it (unlimited) for something like $3000-$4000

I didn’t think there was a “enable it but only 400kwh” at that point in time.
I have contacted Tesla about it but in general their customer service is useless!!

still waiting back on 2 things:
1) I have had the CCS charger upgrade, it doesn’t work. Almost 2 weeks on Tesla haven’t been able to fix it and don’t even contact me.
2) my car physically has dual chargers, but the second isn’t enabled. I asked for a quote but again just no response......

My 2015 MS60 was bought CPO and has unlimited (confirmed in account). It may be that was enabled by Tesla as a sweeter on CPOs at that time, the original spec. documents which were sent to me prior to purchase show it, do not list it as an option and this was not highlighted as a 'bonus' when I purchased it. YMMV of course, but I'd certainly ask (probably in-person at the SC based on the difficulty of getting hold of humans right now at Tesla - or using the Support form under Manage on the website).

I just discovered the same with my 2014 MS P85. Bought the car 3rd party a few months ago, clearly had free supercharging displayed on my account and used superchargers many times without my balance being affected. Now I discovered my account does not show free supercharging and I have used up my 400kwh balance. Hoping this is a mistake but curious if others have any experience with this? I submitted the question to support and may try calling when I have some time. I don't see any legal way Tesla could remove this feature, the terms were very clear for vehicles sold prior to 2017 and stated it would "transfer to the next owner."

But did you get it directly from the original owner or from a dealer?
Purchased from a 3rd party dealer. Would be extremely shady for Tesla to try to claim the dealer counted as the "next owner" so therefore I don't. Not to mention they already had transferred the free supercharging over to my account, I checked that right away after the transfer so this would be retroactive shadiness and without any notification. I'll post an update after I get an official answer from support, hopefully just a glitch or mistake.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
When I got my 60kwh car used about...6 months ago I was led to believe by the dealer that it had "unlimited supercharging" only to find out that it actually just had a supercharging "stipend" (the 400 kWh you're noticing on your account).

The weird thing is, for the first 5 months I had the car, every time I used a supercharger it would reset the counter at 400. I always went from 400 -> 370 then 400->364 then 400 -> 381, etc etc. I essentially had unlimited supercharging for no discernible reason.

Finally, this month, that ended and my counter is officially going down again :(

But did you get it directly from the original owner or from a dealer?

I don't think that matters. When Tesla takes in a FUSC-for-life-of-the-car as a trade in, I think they can strip that from the car but they shouldn't be able to do it for cars they haven't taken in and are selling.

It'd be like Tesla originally selling a car optioned with 21" wheels and when the owner sells that car to another dealer, one night a Tesla worker sneaking in to the dealer's lot and switching it with 19" 's.

Reactions: rsg123
When I got my 60kwh car used about...6 months ago I was led to believe by the dealer that it had "unlimited supercharging" only to find out that it actually just had a supercharging "stipend" (the 400 kWh you're noticing on your account).

The weird thing is, for the first 5 months I had the car, every time I used a supercharger it would reset the counter at 400. I always went from 400 -> 370 then 400->364 then 400 -> 381, etc etc. I essentially had unlimited supercharging for no discernible reason.

Finally, this month, that ended and my counter is officially going down again :(

I think that is normal behavior for free supercharging, mine did the same thing resetting to 400 each session. Meanwhile it did clearly say free supercharging on my account, until suddenly it didn't and then the 400 stopped resetting.

...I don't think that matters...

It's a contract between Tesla and the original owner.

Once the original owner no longer owns the car, Tesla has no obligation to honor that contract unless there are specific clauses indicating that.

New warranty does have that clause to cover all subsequent owners.

This contract specifically says "next owner", not subsequent owners.

This is important to keep the resale value higher for the original owner and that encourage people to become the original owner.

However, Tesla has no obligation to keep the resale value higher for the next owner.

I don't think that matters. When Tesla takes in a FUSC-for-life-of-the-car as a trade in, I think they can strip that from the car but they shouldn't be able to do it for cars they haven't taken in and are selling.

It'd be like Tesla originally selling a car optioned with 21" wheels and when the owner sells that car to another dealer, one night a Tesla worker sneaking in to the dealer's lot and switching it with 19" 's.
:D Your wheel example is exactly the analogy I just used while talking to somebody else. You can't remove something already sold as part of the car. If you buy it back then sure because you own it, until then its essentially theft.

It's a contract between Tesla and the original owner.

Once the original owner no longer owns the car, Tesla has no obligation to honor that contract unless there are specific clauses indicating that.

New warranty does have that clause to cover all subsequent owners.

This contract specifically says "next owner", not subsequent owners.

This is important to keep the resale value higher for the original owner and that encourage people to become the original owner.

However, Tesla has no obligation to keep the resale value higher for the next owner.

Would be an interesting legal argument. It is at least directly implied that the next owner has those rights as well because the terms clearly state "transfers to next owner." In my case it already was transferred and I had the same terms showing up in my account originally so I think their case would be even more shaky.