Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Confused about how $2500 order payment is applied

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I started my configuration of a Model 3 and at the end as expected a $2500 "order payment is required". I don't have a problem with this but I was expecting this payment would be deducted from the purchase. From what I understand after reading the terms and conditions this is a fee to locate a car that matches my config. I will still order the car but what a huge profit maker for Tesla because I am sure a upon a few key strokes their computers will quickly locate the car or schedule it for manufacture.

I started my configuration of a Model 3 and at the end as expected a $2500 "order payment is required". I don't have a problem with this but I was expecting this payment would be deducted from the purchase. From what I understand after reading the terms and conditions this is a fee to locate a car that matches my config. I will still order the car but what a huge profit maker for Tesla because I am sure a upon a few key strokes their computers will quickly locate the car or schedule it for manufacture.

It is deducted. See image attached.

Attachments

• price.JPG
    price.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 1,782
I believe the wording is to enforce the idea that it is non-refundable. When you click pay, they start doing stuff and that stuff takes effort.

But the contract doesn’t clearly state that it is a portion of the total payment.

Attachments

• CAC3AA68-294B-4EAA-BBD8-AFCE8228082A.png
    CAC3AA68-294B-4EAA-BBD8-AFCE8228082A.png
    407.7 KB · Views: 1,447
I suggest you read it more carefully. It clearly states: "When you take delivery of the vehicle we will provide a credit to the final purchase price of your Vehicle equivalent to the amount of the Order Payment you paid."
This is a significant purchase for most people, we are not talking about a 10$ purchase, you should read what you are agreeing to, carefully, before signing and jumping onto conclusions.

• Love
Reactions: Pkmmte and swaltner
I would like to know how it is applied to a lease??? I ordered my lease and put down the $2500. I see now the order fee is only $100. When I put in the same configuration as mine with the same down payment. I'm getting the same monthly lease price for the $2500 order fee as I am for the $100. Should I cancel to get my $2500 back and re order with only having to put $100 down. I know the $100 is non refundable but that's a huge difference in order fee if it's not going to effect my monthly lease in any way.

I would like to know how it is applied to a lease??? I ordered my lease and put down the $2500. I see now the order fee is only $100. When I put in the same configuration as mine with the same down payment. I'm getting the same monthly lease price for the $2500 order fee as I am for the $100. Should I cancel to get my $2500 back and re order with only having to put $100 down. I know the $100 is non refundable but that's a huge difference in order fee if it's not going to effect my monthly lease in any way.

The reason it would not be showing a difference in payment, is because your drive offs would remain the same. "Drive offs" do not = "Down payment". They are not the same.

"Drive offs" INCLUDE down payment (on a lease that is called cap cost reduction), AND any other monies needed to leave with the car... like taxes, title, license, document fees, first months payment etc.

The reason your lease would not be changing online with 100 down or 2500 down is because that 2500 is going toward your drive offs, which in california are likely going to be around 2300-2700 or so, give or take, depending on which tesla you are getting.

Since you already paid 2500, you likely wont need to come in with much cash to leave with the car on delivery day. If you cancelled and re ordered with a 100 deposit, when you picked up the car, you would then need to come up with the money for those things above (likely around 2500 or so). IF you didnt want to pay that and just wanted to "roll all that in" you would not even be having the same payment you have been quoted now... if they even allowed it.

The reason it would not be showing a difference in payment, is because your drive offs would remain the same. "Drive offs" do not = "Down payment". They are not the same.

"Drive offs" INCLUDE down payment (on a lease that is called cap cost reduction), AND any other monies needed to leave with the car... like taxes, title, license, document fees, first months payment etc.

The reason your lease would not be changing online with 100 down or 2500 down is because that 2500 is going toward your drive offs, which in california are likely going to be around 2300-2700 or so, give or take, depending on which tesla you are getting.

Since you already paid 2500, you likely wont need to come in with much cash to leave with the car on delivery day. If you cancelled and re ordered with a 100 deposit, when you picked up the car, you would then need to come up with the money for those things above (likely around 2500 or so). IF you didnt want to pay that and just wanted to "roll all that in" you would not even be having the same payment you have been quoted now... if they even allowed it.

Since you already paid 2500, you likely wont need to come in with much cash to leave with the car on delivery day. If you cancelled and re ordered with a 100 deposit, when you picked up the car, you would then need to come up with the money for those things above (likely around 2500 or so). IF you didnt want to pay that and just wanted to "roll all that in" you would not even be having the same payment you have been quoted now... if they even allowed it.[/QUOTE