Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Confused about Plaid/Refreshed Model S

When to buy a new Model S

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I'm currently in the market to buy a new Model S. I love everything about it. While I want the car yesterday, I want to minimize buyers remorse when the next refresh hits. I had settled that I'd wait until the Plaid Model drops (summer 2020?). However, range and comfort matter far more to me than any extra speed.
So, my question is this. Is the Plaid Model S that everyone speaks of just a replacement for Ludicrous? Would any increase in battery size, motor efficiency, or battery type be expected for the range-focused model as well?
I fear that I'm waiting for a performance focused update when I am perfectly happy with the performance of an increased range variant.
Thanks so much for being kind in your responses to a Tesla newby! I'm really interested in your thoughts as we all follow closely the hacks, leaks, and expectations of the future of the company.

It does seem like larger battery packs will be coming, almost assuredly for the plaid variant, no guarantees for the other models. Worth the wait? Each person has to decide for themselves. Even with the leaks and suspected refreshes and a potentially new battery or motor based on plaid tech for the long range variant... we went ahead and ordered the last week of January. Still don't have the car yet (being held at the local store for the LR+ update - whole other story), but the wife and I are content and looking forward to using the vehicle just as we purchased it. We'll get some enhancements through software updates, and we'll miss some enhancements from new hardware. No buyer's remorse either way since we loved it as it existed when we test drove it.

On the other hand, I can't speak for a few years down the line once all the little changes have added up. :)

No one knows. I’d *guess* that the initial versions would be performance focused. Then there would be some trickle down.

for example, the 100kwh battery was in the performance version (with huge price premiums) for quite some time before they released into the standard version.

Reactions: E Dizzle
I pulled the trigger on a Model S long range, now long range+ . The range of this model is exactly what I have been looking for in the wide open spaces of the Southwest.

The “next greatest thing” will always give someone pause when they are thinking of buying, and if it brings something of importance to your then yes, maybe it is worth waiting for.

But for me, a few more tenths on the 0-60 time isn’t worth it to me, and the range of the current product, along with the continued improvement of the SuperCharger structure is good enough for me to jump in now and not second guess any more.

the only thing that would cause me a bit of regret now is if Plaid offered a quantum leap forward in features such as FSD functionality. It’s a pretty safe bet that at some point there might be, but that’s a ways off. Until then, I will enjoy what we’ve got.