Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Confused about Tesla inverter situation with solar and powerwall+

hurjio

Feb 3, 2018
Southern California
These days if you order Tesla solar panels and Powerwall+, is the inverter that sits above the Powerwall the only inverter now? I know Tesla had released their own inverter in Jan this year... is that a thing of the past now? If that is the case, how many other "boxes" are involved with an installation besides what you see on the Powerwall+ (combiner boxes, shutoff boxes, etc?). Also, if I only get a small solar system, it's paired with the 7.6kW inverter on the Powerwall+, right? Is that not ideal since the inverter is oversized for the solar system? Is the box that needs to connect to your router still required?

miimura

Aug 21, 2013
Los Altos, CA
The Powerwall itself has its own inverter inside the box. Each Tesla solar inverter has a computer inside that can communicate with the Tesla back end network. In the past, that kind of computer was only included in the Tesla Backup Gateway. Now that the Tesla solar inverter has that function already, the Powerwall+ can simplify the system by using the Backup Switch instead of the Tesla Backup Gateway.

Tesla solar inverters come in 3.8kW and 7.6kW sizes. I think either one or both could be used in a Powerwall+ system.

Bitslizer

Jun 16, 2021
IL
The Powerwall itself has its own inverter inside the box. Each Tesla solar inverter has a computer inside that can communicate with the Tesla back end network. In the past, that kind of computer was only included in the Tesla Backup Gateway. Now that the Tesla solar inverter has that function already, the Powerwall+ can simplify the system by using the Backup Switch instead of the Tesla Backup Gateway.

Tesla solar inverters come in 3.8kW and 7.6kW sizes. I think either one or both could be used in a Powerwall+ system.
No my 3.8 just installed yesterday was stand alone. I have a pw+ with the 7.6 on top and a pw2.1 with no inverter on top. Then the 3.8 inverter stand alone elsewhere.

The 3.8 have a comm antenna inside vs a brain with ethernet jack in the 7.6

miimura

Aug 21, 2013
Los Altos, CA
No my 3.8 just installed yesterday was stand alone. I have a pw+ with the 7.6 on top and a pw2.1 with no inverter on top. Then the 3.8 inverter stand alone elsewhere.

The 3.8 have a comm antenna inside vs a brain with ethernet jack in the 7.6
OK. I stand corrected. The solar inverters don't all have the full computer inside.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC