Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Confused and frustrated with schedule departure and schedule charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm very confused with the schedule departure/charge settings on the IOS app.
I would like to schedule the charging to begin at 12:00 am.
Simple enough. I go to the IOS app and click schedule, then tap the "Charge" button, and select the "Enable Scheduled Charging" radio button and change the "start charging at" option to "12:00 AM". I confirm that it is scheduled to charge at 12:00 AM on the vehicle's monitor.
The vehicle starts charging at 12:00 AM, as directed.

The next day I came home, and plugged the charging cable into the vehicle. Unbeknownst to me, it defaulted to "Departure" which was set to "8:00 AM", and started to charge immediately (at a time when I'm paying high peak rates).

The next time I came home, I made sure that "scheduled Charging" is enabled, and all was well.

Days later, when I came home, I plugged the charging cable, and again, it defaulted to "Departure".

Why will the setting not stay on "scheduled charging" and default to "departure"?

I have never experienced that on my 2021 MYLR. I have my charging set to 12:15am. It always chargers right on the dot. No issues and has never changed a setting on me. Have you checked to see if both your setting in the car and on your phone app are the same? I noticed that the charge limit on the phone is slightly different than what's set on the car and sometimes it gets confused. I wished instead of a slider you could directly input the percentage or miles you want to charge to. That slider is difficult to use. I do not use the Tesla wall connector since I have a Juicenet charger from my previous EV. No idea if that has any relevance to affecting your settings.

It's geo location dependent. Check the app when you're at home after plugging in to see if it knows you're home.
Try doing the 2 finger salute and reset the screen too
I prefer schedule departure instead of scheduled charge
ALso, now you can see your charging fees at home in the app under charging and you can input when your rates are the highest.
My off peak rates end at 4 PM. So I put off peak charging end time at 3:45 to be safes

Make sure your Tesla account credentials are not shared with a 3rd party app that you set up but no longer use. This happens more than you might expect. Change your password, you may receive a notification from said app that it is unable to access your account stats after you change.

Scheduled Departure charging is more efficient that Scheduled Charging in most cases (unless you can only charge at 120V in cold weather. Then it is best to start charging as soon as you arrive home while the battery is still warm.) With Scheduled Departure Charging your Tesla vehicle will always complete charging shortly before you normally leave in the A.M. The battery will already be warm from charging. Preconditioning the Tesla vehicle will use less energy. Preconditioning the passenger cabin will take less time than if you started to charge at 12:00 A.M. and then wait until the A.M. to start warming the battery, passenger cabin.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Aviateur17
Question: Have you turned on "Off-Peak Charge"? I have that on and set to All Week, with my off peak end time set to 3pm when higher electricity rates kick in.

I come home from picking up kids from school at 4pm and plug my car in. It won't start charging until after midnight.
What happens if you get home early and plug in before 3 pm?

If I may suggest you consider setting “Scheduled Charge” to the end of peak. This will ensure when you plug in the car will not start to charge until the end of peak.

Honestly, I have always used Departure Time, and have that set to a time close to when I'll leave OR when my "off peak" rates end (for me that is 8am). This ensures the MY will start charging at 2AM or 5AM or whenever it needs to in order to ensure I'm at 80% (or whatever I have it set to) by the time my off-peak rates expire (usually about 15 minutes early).

My perspective is this has two benefits:

1) The MY doesn't charge up, and just sit there... Sitting idle at a high SOC is not ideal, and can possibly result in faster degradation (this debatable, but just sharing what I have read).

2) The MY finishes charging closer to my departure time means the battery will be warmer, and more ideal for driving, and peak performance.

If you are charging at 120v, 15A or 20A then this situation may not work for you. I only charge at 32A 240V and have never had a challenge getting a full charge during off peak rates (but rarely go below 40%).

Just my .02c

Reactions: Daekwan and ATPMSD
What happens if you get home early and plug in before 3 pm?

If I may suggest you consider setting “Scheduled Charge” to the end of peak. This will ensure when you plug in the car will not start to charge until the end of peak.
I get home from work around 1:45 (work east coast hours) and the times I have plugged it in it will start to charge but stops at 3pm.

I have my departure set to 5am with precondition turned on set to weekdays. I come out every morning to the interior warmed up, battery ready to go at 80% SOC. It's 100% charging during off peak.

I get home from work around 1:45 (work east coast hours) and the times I have plugged it in it will start to charge but stops at 3pm.

I have my departure set to 5am with precondition turned on set to weekdays. I come out every morning to the interior warmed up, battery ready to go at 80% SOC. It's 100% charging during off peak.
Yes but you are using the change in date to make this work. Since you have preconditioning set for 5 am, if you set your “off-peak” ends to 5 am as well the car will be warmed and charged by 5 am. Also, by doing it this way you take advantage of the heat of charging to warm the battery instead of the battery heater coming on to do it. Saves a bit of power.

It sounds like you have a peak rate period defined either in the Tesla settings or a 3rd party app such as Teslafi. Check your Scheduled Departure/Scheduled Charging settings for peak and off-peak times. Change your password on your Tesla account to block any 3rd party software from interrupting your charging session.

Yes but you are using the change in date to make this work. Since you have preconditioning set for 5 am, if you set your “off-peak” ends to 5 am as well the car will be warmed and charged by 5 am. Also, by doing it this way you take advantage of the heat of charging to warm the battery instead of the battery heater coming on to do it. Saves a bit of power.
I'm pretty sure it doesn't start charging the car until it's near my departure time. When I've pulled up the app at 4am I see it drawing 11.5 kwh and charging the car. It's definitely calculating how much time to charge to 80% and waits till then. It doesn't immediately start charging at midnight when rates change.

That‘s just plain bizarre! But then again given the way Tesla documents things, perhaps it is working as intended. 🤔
Yeah, I think it could have been I had it plugged in before 3pm on a Friday. I have my scheduled departure set for weekdays only, but if I plug it in on the weekend it'll start charging to my limit if it's at off-peak rate time.

Also in the latest version of the app I do have my off peak time programmed in as well as my current rates and exact PG&E power plan for the charge stat feature. It's really useful.

I'm very confused with the schedule departure/charge settings on the IOS app.
I would like to schedule the charging to begin at 12:00 am.
Simple enough. I go to the IOS app and click schedule, then tap the "Charge" button, and select the "Enable Scheduled Charging" radio button and change the "start charging at" option to "12:00 AM". I confirm that it is scheduled to charge at 12:00 AM on the vehicle's monitor.
The vehicle starts charging at 12:00 AM, as directed.

The next day I came home, and plugged the charging cable into the vehicle. Unbeknownst to me, it defaulted to "Departure" which was set to "8:00 AM", and started to charge immediately (at a time when I'm paying high peak rates).

The next time I came home, I made sure that "scheduled Charging" is enabled, and all was well.

Days later, when I came home, I plugged the charging cable, and again, it defaulted to "Departure".

Why will the setting not stay on "scheduled charging" and default to "departure"?
I'm having the same problem. For some reason, the car/app really wants to use 'departure' instead of 'scheduled'. I've have set 'scheduled' many times, verified both on app and car, and usually come back to find it set for 'departure'.

/'I'm having the same problem. For some reason, the car/app really wants to use 'departure' instead of 'scheduled'. I've have set 'scheduled' many times, verified both on app and car, and usually come back to find it set for 'departure'.
I'm 99% sure the "Schedule - Charge" setting resets after each charge. In general the car will charge just prior to the scheduled "departure" time. I like to top off one Tesla at night (after 10pm) and then move the charger over to Tesla #2 for overnight/departure charge with pre-conditioning for the morning commute.

Edit: You may have to disable "Off peak charging" on the Departure tab, and then maybe the Charge tab will retain it's settings.

I do wish we had the ability to chose specific days where the car would pre-condition. Not just "Weekdays".

I have a Refresh MX but I am having the same problem. I would like it to start charging at 1:00am but it keeps defaulting back to departure time. It is driving me crazy. I have tried setting it in the car and in the app. I have verified my app is the latest and I do not subscribe to any 3rd party Tesla collection services. Nothing except my phone and Tesla themselves should have access to my car. I did just updated to 2022.20.6 so will see if that helps.

Personally, I think the UI in the app is terrible. It has 2 tabs for Departure and Charge but only Charge has an "Enable" switch. There is no switch to "Enable" Departure charging. So does disabling Scheduled Charging then enable Departure charging?

I have a Refresh MX but I am having the same problem. I would like it to start charging at 1:00am but it keeps defaulting back to departure time. It is driving me crazy. I have tried setting it in the car and in the app. I have verified my app is the latest and I do not subscribe to any 3rd party Tesla collection services. Nothing except my phone and Tesla themselves should have access to my car. I did just updated to 2022.20.6 so will see if that helps.

Personally, I think the UI in the app is terrible. It has 2 tabs for Departure and Charge but only Charge has an "Enable" switch. There is no switch to "Enable" Departure charging. So does disabling Scheduled Charging then enable Departure charging?
I confirmed last night that when you have BOTH departure options turned OFF (Precondition and Off-Peak Charging) that the "Charge" schedule (Start Charging at...) will not get turned off each day.

I plugged in the wife's MSM MY last night just after 10pm (always where I have the "Start Charging At" schedule set to) and it right away started charging -- versus me having to go in and enable Scheduled Charging like I've done every other time. This was only after I turned OFF the "Off Peak Charging" option.

Hope this helps....

• Helpful
Reactions: strider and jcanoe
I confirmed last night that when you have BOTH departure options turned OFF (Precondition and Off-Peak Charging) that the "Charge" schedule (Start Charging at...) will not get turned off each day.

I plugged in the wife's MSM MY last night just after 10pm (always where I have the "Start Charging At" schedule set to) and it right away started charging -- versus me having to go in and enable Scheduled Charging like I've done every other time. This was only after I turned OFF the "Off Peak Charging" option.

Hope this helps....
I will give this a try. Did you make the changes in the app or in the car itself? Not sure if it would make a different but trying to eliminate variables....