Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Confused - Auto Pilot Mad Max Mode not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey, so I just picked up my Model 3P last wednesday and have FSD and went to go enable Mad Max mode to see the auto lane change. Unless im doing something wrong, it hasnt auto switched lanes yet. I make sure I have an address in the navigation as well as Navigate On Auto-Pilot engaged as well. If I set the speed to 75 and the right lane is wide open and im in the middle, and the person in front of me is doing 60, It could easily pass them but it just stays behind them.

Below are my auto pilot settings, maybe im missing something?

If someone could figure this out id be very surprised lol.

Current version of car is 2021.3.106.5 (Havent had any updates since pickup)
Screen Shot 2021-09-06 at 7.21.49 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-09-06 at 7.21.42 PM.png

Is this a joke?

Your Telsa does not want to pass on the right. In fact, if you were IN the right lane and exceeding the speed of the middle lane by 5 (or is it 10) mph, it would display down (backward) rolling arrows in the middle lane and SLOW DOWN to pass on the right. It'll still pass, but just not with as much "Get out of the middle lane if you can't keep up with traffic" differential.

Let’s not fixate on the passing on the right thing. He said he was in the middle lane, so one would expect Navigate on Autopilot to pass on the left, yet it didn’t pass at all. I’ve had this happen occasionally for unknown reasons. I usually don’t bother with Navigate on Autopilot and initiate lane changes and navigate highway ramps manually.

One thing you need to do when lane change confirmation is off (as shown in the OP’s settings) is be holding the wheel to satisfy the nag. With confirmation turned in, you don’t need to be holding the wheel as long as you acknowledge the lane change by clicking the drive stalk down.

Reactions: rpiotro
Let’s not fixate on the passing on the right thing. He said he was in the middle lane, so one would expect Navigate on Autopilot to pass on the left, yet it didn’t pass at all. I’ve had this happen occasionally for unknown reasons. I usually don’t bother with Navigate on Autopilot and initiate lane changes and navigate highway ramps manually.
If I set the speed to 75 and the right lane is wide open and im in the middle, and the person in front of me is doing 60, It could easily pass them but it just stays behind them.
Reread his post he specifically said 'and the right lane is open'. NOT the left lane is also open. I am only respondin to his original statement not some interpretation or other experisnce.

Reactions: rpiotro
No matter which lane im in, it doesnt move. Whether im in the right and that person is going slow, or im in the middle, or im in the left, no matter what it wont switch lanes. Now when I initiate to change lanes it does it within seconds, but no matter which lane im in, it wont switch lanes, even to the left if its wide open to get back up to my set speed.

One thing you need to do when lane change confirmation is off (as shown in the OP’s settings) is be holding the wheel to satisfy the nag. With confirmation turned in, you don’t need to be holding the wheel as long as you acknowledge the lane change by clicking the drive stalk down.
I have even turned lane change notifications to ON and be in the middle lane, left lane completely open and it doesnt even prompt me to want to change lanes

They'll definitely pass on the right. Mine just passed on the right last night. I was in the middle lane, there was slower traffic in front of me, and the car went to the right lane. I don't have it on Mad Max, but one setting below. One thing to remember if you need to give it confirmation prior to changing lanes (just pressure on the steering wheel is sufficient) but if you're cruising along without holding the wheel it will turn on the turn signal but won't actually switch lanes until you torque the wheel.

They'll definitely pass on the right. Mine just passed on the right last night. I was in the middle lane, there was slower traffic in front of me, and the car went to the right lane. I don't have it on Mad Max, but one setting below. One thing to remember if you need to give it confirmation prior to changing lanes (just pressure on the steering wheel is sufficient) but if you're cruising along without holding the wheel it will turn on the turn signal but won't actually switch lanes until you torque the wheel.
Good to know, yeah I dont even get any kind of notification that car wants to switch, I purposefully stay behind a car doing 60 something, meanwhile my speed is set to 75 and left lane wide open and it just stays behind the car, Even if I have lane change notifications set to off, shouldnt it still see the left lane is fully open and clear and want to switch?

Do you see a single blue line on middle of the lane displayed the Nav map when NOA is engaged
Plan old AP you should see two thinner blue lines on either side of the lane
Does NOA take any off ramps automatically

Try enabling the notifications so at least the car will tell you if it's thinking changing lanes
Without at least one of those on you're flying a bit in the dark.
Having them on lets you can concentrate more on your surroundings rather than having
to watch the screen like a hawk, trying to see what NOA is up to
I have mine set to both chime a vibrate

Last edited:
Do you see a single blue line on middle of the lane displayed the Nav map when NOA is engaged
Plan old AP you should see two thinner blue lines on either side of the lane
Does NOA take any off ramps automatically

Try enabling the notifications so at least the car will tell you if it's thinking changing lanes
Without at least one of those on you're flying a bit in the dark.
Having them on lets you can concentrate more on your surroundings rather than having
to watch the screen like a hawk, trying to see what NOA is up to
I have mine set to both chime a vibrate
When AP is engaged there’s two blue lines, one on either side of the car. And it hasn’t taken any off ramps. I also had lane change notifications on all day today to test it and it still didn’t switch lanes or anything. Just stayed in middle lane behind a car going like 15 mph below my set speed. A

When AP is engaged there’s two blue lines, one on either side of the car. And it hasn’t taken any off ramps. I also had lane change notifications on all day today to test it and it still didn’t switch lanes or anything. Just stayed in middle lane behind a car going like 15 mph below my set speed. A
Two lines means you're in normal AP and not navigate on AP. You want to see a single blue line.

If your only seeing two blue lines that's AP not NOA, NOA is one blue line in the centre
AP wont take off ramps or change lanes automatically only NOA will.

NOA needs a route set in navigation, and it also requires you to be on the type of road
that NOA is enabled for before it can be engaged.
Here in NZ, NOA is only enabled for use on motorways (freeway in the US?)
If you are traveling on unsupported type of road only AP will be available

It looks like you have a warning/notification triangle displayed (next to your name)
in your screen shots. Have you checked that to make sure there are no AP/NOA
error messages

Last edited:
Also, when you have a route in the nav and are on a highway, it will go into navigate on autopilot automatically when you double click the right stalk. You don't have to click on 'navigate on autopilot' on the touch screen (in fact, doing that will turn it off).

If your only seeing two blue lines that's AP not NOA, NOA is one blue line in the centre
AP wont take off ramps or change lanes automatically only NOA will.

NOA needs a route set in navigation, and it also requires you to be on the type of road
that NOA is enabled for before it can be engaged.
Here in NZ, NOA is only enabled for use on motorways (freeway in the US?)
If you are traveling on unsupported type of road only AP will be available

It looks like you have a warning/notification triangle displayed (next to your name)
in your screen shots. Have you checked that to make sure there are no AP/NOA
error messages
Ok this is good to know, yeah theres no warning in there regarding AP. Just about the USB stick being to slow lol.