Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Confused between rear wheel vs long range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The custom sound mentioned actually just brings the SR+ system upto to LR/Perf category lol. Even the sub fits exactly where the LR is…hidden, and the 2 speakers in the A pillar which are already there physically just get turned on. One sees nothing different. Plug and play and it just sounds like the same upgraded audio 🤷🏽‍♂️

I only mentioned as a way to not have to spend 10k but still achieve some aspect of the LR. :) As the OP mentioned he has an AWD car, and perhaps that’s not worth paying for for him?

Anyway just a thought! As mentioned I adore the LR imo :)
Yeah I have seen those upgrades.

By main LR benefits I meant range/speed/handling. Sound is just icing imo lol

Reactions: Destiny1701
Handling? Light weight means fast everywhere.
We mean the awd traction and power as a balance in handling. The rwd does tend to slip when accelerating harder out of a turn…road depending. With my LR boost, I have yet to ever have that occur. Also the added power makes coming out of a turn much more enjoyable lol. The car just plants and flies like a bat of out hell :)

AWD is the gold standard for handling. It can be used to prevent both understeer and oversteer as well as to put a lot more power down without traction loss.
Handling? Light weight means fast everywhere.

If by handling you mean turn in/ultimate grip/uncorrupted steering feel, lighter weight + RWD is better than heavier + AWD. But if handling to you means less traction issues out of corners and less unpredictable behaviour at the limit, then AWD could be said to have better handling.

Either way the new LFP RWD is quite a bit heavier than the previous SR+, so in a LFP RWD vs LR AWD comparison, I'd say the LR has better handling.

If by handling you mean turn in/ultimate grip/uncorrupted steering feel, lighter weight + RWD is better than heavier + AWD. But if handling to you means less traction issues out of corners and less unpredictable behaviour at the limit, then AWD could be said to have better handling.

Either way the new LFP RWD is quite a bit heavier than the previous SR+, so in a LFP RWD vs LR AWD comparison, I'd say the LR has better handling.
By handling I guess I meant an increased global amount of traction in every situation and improved control in turns. A RWD drivetrain given even the same WHP as a AWD drivetrain would be left in the dust in the frequent high speed turns of a street track due to its inability to distribute power and grip during all the dynamic forces. This would be displayed as oversteer and reduced ability to put down power as easily.

If this were counter to real life then the records the fastest EVs in drag races and on street tracks would be RWD and not AWD.

I guess traction could technically be lower on an AWD in snow during hard braking due to increased weight. So I'll give you that.

If you have money, pay for the long range. It's well worth the extra cost.

If your budget is tight, skip the long range.
I have a Model 3 single motor, with a 320-mile range. It may not be AS fast as the long-range Model 3, but it beats everybody off the light. Yeah, even the guy with the loud Honda revving his engine next to me. But I didn't buy it to race anyone. Most people won't race, anyway, because they know it's a Tesla, and are pretty sure they'll get skunked.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: DocHolliday
I have a Model 3 single motor, with a 320-mile range. It may not be AS fast as the long-range Model 3, but it beats everybody off the light. Yeah, even the guy with the loud Honda revving his engine next to me. But I didn't buy it to race anyone. Most people won't race, anyway, because they know it's a Tesla, and are pretty sure they'll get skunked. IF YOU HAVE THE MONEY, you might ought to pay a few bills rather than put it on something you DON'T NEED.
If life were about only getting only what you need then everyone would be driving either a Prius or a Leaf lol.

Some people have a "need" for speed :p

I just got model 3 - came with LFP battery so can charge to 100%- it’s had plenty of power- and even put it on chill mode - especially parking in garage - and on A1A in Florida - with strict speed limits passing the mansions - I thought I would also want the better sound but the included system is as good as Bose.

We mean the awd traction and power as a balance in handling. The rwd does tend to slip when accelerating harder out of a turn…road depending. With my LR boost, I have yet to ever have that occur. Also the added power makes coming out of a turn much more enjoyable lol. The car just plants and flies like a bat of out hell :)
I get that corner exit feeling that AWD gives. My last car was a Q50 hybrid AWD. Lots and lots of torque. Over 400 ft. lb.

But how about turn-in, corner entry? And general cornering and braking with that 400 LB. penalty? The majority up front. There are always trade-offs. It comes down to a matter of personal preference.

I get that corner exit feeling that AWD gives. My last car was a Q50 hybrid AWD. Lots and lots of torque. Over 400 ft. lb.

But how about turn-in, corner entry? And general cornering and braking with that 400 LB. penalty? The majority up front. There are always trade-offs. It comes down to a matter of personal preference.
In real world driving, how many times can one turn in, enter a corner hard vs being able to exit? Ie. Typically left turn lane waiting at a stop for the left arrow. Right turn lane…car in front, wait your turn and go right.

8/10 times there is a car in front preventing hard turn ins :) exit is basically as much as one wishes if you time it right :)

But totally agree…both sides of the equation count.

There's no such penalty anymore. LFP RWD is only 100lbs lighter than LR AWD these days. You're correct regarding the previous NCA RWD cars though, they are definitely quite a bit more nimble feeling.

Reactions: tm1v2
Don't buy an LR AWD thinking you're going to really power out of turns like an STI or Evo or something of that nature. Mechanically the AWD Model 3's could but the traction control won't let you until the steering wheel is pretty much straight. That's my experience across a couple models (LR AWD, LR RWD, and P outside of Track Mode).

It's kind of a weird experience. For example if there's a two lane 180° ramp the stability control usually gives enough leeway to pass someone on the outside lane, but then you get to the end of the ramp and try to stomp on it early for the merge...and the car barely trundles along. Like a tiny gas engine that's out of breath. Get the wheel straight and suddenly the power is back.

When the steering wheel is straight, after you've exited the turn, then the LR AWD can really put its power down and use all that traction. If someone here has a Model 3 (any kind, AWD or RWD) that lets them really power out of a turn without using Track Mode, I'm interested to hear, as that's not been my experience nor that of a friend with an older Model 3.

Reactions: XPsionic
Don't buy an LR AWD thinking you're going to really power out of turns like an STI or Evo or something of that nature. Mechanically the AWD Model 3's could but the traction control won't let you until the steering wheel is pretty much straight. That's my experience across a couple models (LR AWD, LR RWD, and P outside of Track Mode).

It's kind of a weird experience. For example if there's a two lane 180° ramp the stability control usually gives enough leeway to pass someone on the outside lane, but then you get to the end of the ramp and try to stomp on it early for the merge...and the car barely trundles along. Like a tiny gas engine that's out of breath. Get the wheel straight and suddenly the power is back.

When the steering wheel is straight, after you've exited the turn, then the LR AWD can really put its power down and use all that traction. If someone here has a Model 3 (any kind, AWD or RWD) that lets them really power out of a turn without using Track Mode, I'm interested to hear, as that's not been my experience nor that of a friend with an older Model 3.
I have tested this to a degree. My car lives in Sport mode and regardless of turns or not so far it has always given me as much power as I have asked for in any situation.

Some time soon I'll go out of my way to ask for an excessive amount as I exit a turn to see what it does, for science.

Reactions: ODWms and tm1v2

Same in my 21 SR+, even when there's enough rear grip available while cornering fast, the car will limit power based on steering angle. I've got to be going like 8/10ths and almost get the tires squealing in the corners to feel it however. I'd imagine with stickier tires, this power limit will be much more apparent.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2