Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Confused by summon feature (or lack of).

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi - this is only day two of owning the 2018 LR AWD we just bought. It is on software version '10' and in fact we just today upgraded to whatever the most recent version available is called. We do not have "Enhanced Autopilot" however we are open to upgrading to it.

Anyway the point is, I don't see what is required for the summon feature because after upgrading (and the car was already on V10) we don't see that option in the Autopilot settings or in the Tesla App (iphone).

So is the summons feature only available if you have the Enhanced Autopilot option as well?

Thank you and I'm trying to learn as fast as I can :)

So first off there is no more EAP option for upgrade. You will need to upgrade to FSD (Full Self Drive) which will then unlock Smart Summon.

If the only reason you would upgrade is for Smart Summon then I would tell you it is not worth it in the current state. Tesla has a long way to go before Smart Summon is a truly usable function. It tried to drive around the house in the grass to get to where I was standing up the drive way instead of just turning around (plenty room) and driving down the driveway.

Thank you for the replies and answers. Is the FSD a significant improvement from the "Autopilot/autosteer"? I wouldn't upgrade because of the summons, but I am interested in upgrading to the FSD. I have been following Tesla for a bit before making a purchase (we had a deposit on a 3 back in 2017) - but now that we own one and have some (limited) experience with the Autopilot, I'd love to hear from people that made the jump to FSD.

Thank you for the replies and answers. Is the FSD a significant improvement from the "Autopilot/autosteer"? I wouldn't upgrade because of the summons, but I am interested in upgrading to the FSD. I have been following Tesla for a bit before making a purchase (we had a deposit on a 3 back in 2017) - but now that we own one and have some (limited) experience with the Autopilot, I'd love to hear from people that made the jump to FSD.

FSD adds:

1 and 2)
Advanced summon
Autopark

Which are mostly parlour tricks in everyday life though.

3)
Driver-initiated automatic lane changes (car will change lanes for you if you are on autopilot and engage the turn signal)

Which makes AP a lot nicer to use.

4)
Navigate on Autopilot (car will, on highways, drive you on-ramp to off-ramp including changing lanes, passing other cars without you initiating the change, navigate highway interchanges between highways, and take your exit when you get to it- note this is STILL level 2 and requires driver supervision and hands on wheel)

I find this works pretty well on most roads, less well on a few-it's definitely nice to have- some folks who live elsewhere don't seem to like it as much though.

FSD will also (according to Tesla anyway) be getting by end of this year- 5 and 6)

Recognizing and reacting appropriately to red lights and stop signs.
A version of navigate on autopilot for city driving

It's too bad that EAP isn't available anymore because there are currently no features that are available in FSD that aren't available in EAP. I have FSD and my wife has EAP. They're identical right now.

The things that Knightshade mentioned are really cool but it's a lot of money. If you're going to keep your car for a long time and you can afford it, then it might be worth it. NoA, automatic lane changes, etc. are really great and add a lot to the enjoyment of the car IMO. For the rest, you're gambling on Tesla to actually be able to pull off FSD as imagined. I'm optimistic but not convinced yet. It might take several years, if ever, and you need to decide whether it's worth the chance that they'll have it working while you still own the car.

Having said that, it's really fun to be excited about every new feature that gets released. Smart summon is a really cool toy but it's not very practical yet. I believe they'll slowly but surely improve it a little at a time and it will eventually be much better (showing my optimism). Either way I really like having it since it's the only thing like it and I get to be one of the first to have it. Smart auto-park (or whatever it's called) is supposed to be next along with stop sign/stop light detection. I'm excited to get those too but I expect them to be in the category of cool toys rather than useful features... at least at first. It'll be fun to watch them evolve in any case.

I have no regrets about purchasing FSD but I knew exactly what I was getting into. There are quite a few people posting very bitter things in this forum because they expected things to be a lot farther along by now. To me, this is something brand new that has never existed before and the timeline is completely unpredictable. I never thought anything like this would exist outside of SciFi in my lifetime and it's the closest thing to magic in the real world. Just to be able to play with all of the new features as they're released and know that, if they pull it off, I'll be able to play with it immediately is worth it

Just go into it with your eyes wide open and have realistic expectations for what you're paying for. Only you can decide if it's worth the money.

FSD adds:

1 and 2)
Advanced summon
Autopark

Which are mostly parlour tricks in everyday life though.

3)
Driver-initiated automatic lane changes (car will change lanes for you if you are on autopilot and engage the turn signal)

Which makes AP a lot nicer to use.

4)
Navigate on Autopilot (car will, on highways, drive you on-ramp to off-ramp including changing lanes, passing other cars without you initiating the change, navigate highway interchanges between highways, and take your exit when you get to it- note this is STILL level 2 and requires driver supervision and hands on wheel)....
5)
And ANYTHING that is added next week, next month, next year, etc.

Standard AP won't be getting any (significant) auto driving or feature upgrades.