Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Confused Model X owner re charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My experience @ausrod has been that you should always also take a UMC adaptor set as a backup to your EVSE. Having been stranded in the outback by EVSE failure, actually I now have 2 UMC's with adaptors as well as my brand new Juice Booster 2 which I'll try out on Sat !

My experience @ausrod has been that you should always also take a UMC adaptor set as a backup to your EVSE. Having been stranded in the outback by EVSE failure, actually I now have 2 UMC's with adaptors as well as my brand new Juice Booster 2 which I'll try out on Sat !

But you're now the Nanutarra roadhouse Chess champion Richard.

• Funny
Reactions: baillies
The Euro tail is an adaptor (purchased from Tesla for about $130) that plugs into the UMC that came with your car. Unfortunately, it is meant to plug into a European 3 phase socket so you then need a Euro to Oz adapter. This kit is then good to 16 AMP 3 phase regardless of the Euro to Oz adapter you get (I recommend the 32 AMP one). In other words uping your on board charger will have no effect.

The CHAdeMO is a DC adapter to allow the fast CHAdeMO DC charger to plug into the Tesla; again purchased from Tesla for about $800.

Your full kit should then look like UMC, Euro adapter, Euro to Oz adapter and CHAdeMO and, of course, you can still charge at the various Tesla destination chargers and SuperChargers.

Hi Ray,

Did u use a 32 amp 3 phase 5 pin extension cord or have one in your boot? Or is the UMC plus Euro to Au adapter generally long enough to reach the 3 amp power point?

Ok - so i have supposedly upgraded over the air the charger. I bought a juice booster - when plugged into a 3 phase 32a outlet it charges at 20A and says 240V. Has anyone seen this behaviour?

Max charge about 50km per hour.

TEsla said this:
“The high power charging upgrade will only change the “charger type” from “Single Limited” to “Tesla Single” So, in the Garage configuration page, the charger type will be displayed as:

Charger Type: TeslaSingle

And also if the customer has our wall connector wired as 3-phase, he/she should be able to charge at 24A 3-phase instead of 16A 3phase”

Below is a screenshot of your vehicle config to confirm:

cid:image002.jpg@01D2C81F.4451AB30

Does anyone have any idea?

My first Juice Booster 2 charge today !

Don't want to make you feel bad @ausrod but all went perfectly. Needed my extension cable as the 3 phase outlet is at the back of the cage and the Juice booster is quite short (its only weakness). Like you it was default set to 20A, but I was easily able to adjust it to 32. This is the best EVSE I have tried yet. Unlike the Maxicharger it permanently remembers the current setting and takes a double press to change it, so genuinely plug-and-play !

20170520_142216.jpg

I'm confused

Why would u buy a juice booster 2 for more than 1k when u can buy a whole new wall charger with extended lead for $850. I mean u could just stick a 3 phase plug on the wall charger and stick it in the boot can't u? Am I missing something here?

Why would u buy a juice booster 2 for more than 1k when u can buy a whole new wall charger with extended lead for $850. I mean u could just stick a 3 phase plug on the wall charger and stick it in the boot can't u? Am I missing something here?

The JB2 allows you to easily charge from different types of power points by swapping tails, and it automatically sets the max current based on the connected tail (just like the Tesla Mobile Connector, except it does up to 22kW)

If you buy another wall connector and put a plug on it you can only plug it into one kind of socket, and you have to open the lid to change the charge rate.

As a bonus, you can accidentally drive over the JB2 and it will survive, whereas the wall connector would be a smoking ruin... :D

Ok if I want to buy one, evnomics is out of stock. Any other place?

EVnomics has just received a shipment of them, which several of us were awaiting.

I suspect @timpoo has been busy installing Aussie plugs, testing and shipping them and hasn't had the chance to update the website yet.

There's a few places in Europe that sell them but you'd have to find a sparky to change the plugs for you, and you won't have the benefit of local support which as @RichardMcN discovered, can be invaluable