Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Confused Model X owner re charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hope this isnt too stupid- I have a Model X P100d - I didnt elect the high energy charging option. I read the description and it says it made no difference when using mobile connector and chademo. I dont have 3 phase at home - so that isnt an issue.

I think i can add this on if i want to however.

I plan on going to the country occasionally. I have read that i should get a euro adapter and various 'tails' which makes sense to me. EVnomics suggests 3 adapters for my car- they dont mention the 'euro' adapter.

Do i need all or any of the above? and will they actually allow it to charge faster anyway? or do i need the upgrade i didnt get?

Thanks in advance. Rod

There is no affect when you are supercharging, as the supercharger feeds straight into the battery (remember to try and find an unused pair in the supercharger to get the best speed)
When you are home and charge above 40A, you will see a increase when you have the dual chargers. If you are not interested in this, then save the money. 40 Amp for me =29 miles charged per hour.
Most destination chargers I have encountered are 30 amps and below :(

I have dual chargers but don't take advantage of them.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: dhrivnak
Hope this isnt too stupid- I have a Model X P100d - I didnt elect the high energy charging option. I read the description and it says it made no difference when using mobile connector and chademo. I dont have 3 phase at home - so that isnt an issue.

I plan on going to the country occasionally. I have read that i should get a euro adapter and various 'tails' which makes sense to me. EVnomics suggests 3 adapters for my car- they dont mention the 'euro' adapter.

Do i need all or any of the above? and will they actually allow it to charge faster anyway? or do i need the upgrade i didnt get?

Thanks in advance. Rod
The Euro tail is an adaptor (purchased from Tesla for about $130) that plugs into the UMC that came with your car. Unfortunately, it is meant to plug into a European 3 phase socket so you then need a Euro to Oz adapter. This kit is then good to 16 AMP 3 phase regardless of the Euro to Oz adapter you get (I recommend the 32 AMP one). In other words uping your on board charger will have no effect.

The CHAdeMO is a DC adapter to allow the fast CHAdeMO DC charger to plug into the Tesla; again purchased from Tesla for about $800.

Your full kit should then look like UMC, Euro adapter, Euro to Oz adapter and CHAdeMO and, of course, you can still charge at the various Tesla destination chargers and SuperChargers.

The Euro tail is an adaptor (purchased from Tesla for about $130) that plugs into the UMC that came with your car. Unfortunately, it is meant to plug into a European 3 phase socket so you then need a Euro to Oz adapter. This kit is then good to 16 AMP 3 phase regardless of the Euro to Oz adapter you get (I recommend the 32 AMP one). In other words uping your on board charger will have no effect.

The CHAdeMO is a DC adapter to allow the fast CHAdeMO DC charger to plug into the Tesla; again purchased from Tesla for about $800.

Your full kit should then look like UMC, Euro adapter, Euro to Oz adapter and CHAdeMO and, of course, you can still charge at the various Tesla destination chargers and SuperChargers.
a

and which 'tails' should i get? i take it i need to buy the euro adapter from tesla and the rest from someone else?

a

and which 'tails' should i get? i take it i need to buy the euro adapter from tesla and the rest from someone else?
I have a 32 AMP and 20 AMP tail and have only ever used the 32 AMP one.
Before the proliferation of Tesla destination chargers and SuperChargers, I used the three phase quite a bit but haven't used it now for months.

I am quite lucky in that there is a CHAdeMO on one of the common routes I take.

If someone hasn't already pointed it out, getting the PlugShare App is a good idea.

Also, I hope Tesla showed you how to get all the destination chargers up on your in-car nav.

The other adapter is J1772 to Mennekes Type 2 (Tesla) for Chargepoint type sockets; if you want one of these, get it from Evnomics as some others don't work with single charger cars. I had one but sold it due to lack of use and too many loose wires in the boot.

Thanks in advance. Rod
A good source of information regarding charging a Tesla can be found on the Tesla owners website,
at Tesla Charging Options for Australia

ok - so i have a fair idea now - can i confirm:
1. I need the euro adapter as this is higher power - i get from tesla
2. I need some tails - prob just one 32 amp 3 phase should be enough?
3. I should also get a j1772 to type 2 as this will allow use of chargepoint adapters
4. Do I needa chargepoint card?
5. If i upgrade (software) i will be able to charge faster on the 3 phase outlets?
6. I dont have 3 phase at home (they said it wouldnt fit in the board - I am doubtful but wont worry) - if I had it then that would allow faster charging
7. I could get a chademo adapter - but there doesnt seem to be a lot in the Sydney area and i should be ok - I understand a network of 3 phase is in the works - this should cover better?

Am i fairly correct? R

ok - so i have a fair idea now - can i confirm:
1. I need the euro adapter as this is higher power - i get from tesla
2. I need some tails - prob just one 32 amp 3 phase should be enough?
3. I should also get a j1772 to type 2 as this will allow use of chargepoint adapters
4. Do I needa chargepoint card?
5. If i upgrade (software) i will be able to charge faster on the 3 phase outlets?
6. I dont have 3 phase at home (they said it wouldnt fit in the board - I am doubtful but wont worry) - if I had it then that would allow faster charging
7. I could get a chademo adapter - but there doesnt seem to be a lot in the Sydney area and i should be ok - I understand a network of 3 phase is in the works - this should cover better?

Am i fairly correct? R
1. Yes; EVnomics also sell this Tesla UMC Adapter
2. Yes
3. Yes; from Evnomics J1772 to Type 2 Adapter - Rated 32A
4. Yes; Driver Sign up
5. No as that adaptor is limited to 16 AMP 3 phase.
6. Only if you also upgrade the car; basically not really required.
7. There's one at 32 George St., North Strathfield, New South Wales 2137 and it depends where you travel as
there's one at Squires Way, Fairy Meadow, NSW and a few in Canberra.
I don't know anything about a network of 3 phase and BTW I'm not associated with Evnomics or Chargepoint.

R

Since Ray has answered the others so well I'd add that I only have 32A single phase at home and since the car charges overnight I have never had an issue with the car not charging fast enough. Normally the car is there for 10+ hours and that's about 350km added range.

I have a classic S85 with dual chargers - as Ray mentioned, when we first got the cars there were no destination chargers and only superchargers in Sydney.

last question - so unless i have a home charger with 3 phase - where will the software upgrade allow faster charging?
The maximum you can charge with your 11 Kw charger, either 32 A single phase or 16A three phase AC is approximately 55 Km range added per hour. With the correct charge connector your car is already capable of using three phase, and 11Kw is the maximum charge rate on single phase.
If you upgrade to the 16.5 Kw charger you can charge on 3 phase at about 24 A and 82 Km range replaced per hour. You will need a three phase Tesla charge connector or a third party charge connector to charge at this rate.
So it comes down to how often you feel you will be able to take advantage of higher capacity 3 phase charging.
Supercharger and CHADEMO charging bypass the on board chargers so are unaffected.

If you're going to the country a bit, definitely get the charger upgrade. Not everyone agrees with this, but you can get really bored waiting needless extra hours for your car to charge! You'll be faster at destination chargers without any extra gear! And Tim from Evnomics now has the Juice Booster 2 to charge at 5 pin 3 phase outlets at the higher speed. I'm getting one soon - looks way better than the clunky solutions of earler days.

Chademo is mainly for WA, W'gong, Canberra and Brissie at present.

Definitley look up plugshare.com and get the app and it will be clear what you need!

I've had my car about 6 months and for me there hasn't been any need to buy any adapters.

The destination charger program is rolling out new Tesla-native chargers so fast it seems (to me) to be rendering other charging options unnecessary.

I am currently touring Tasmania and when I started planning this trip a few months ago there were 4 destination chargers in the state. There are currently 12.

Having said that, it is completely dependent on the places you wish to go. Many parts of the country are only accessible by using 3-phase outlets at showgrounds etc so if you are planning that sort of trip you'll need the Euro adapter and 32A 3-phase tail from EVnomics.

Also note that my experience (and yours) is totally different from those who've had their car a year or more. Even six months ago you pretty much needed a 3-phase charge to get from Brisbane to Sydney. Now it's a doddle with superchargers all the way.

Reactions: mike_j
Ok - so i have supposedly upgraded over the air the charger. I bought a juice booster - when plugged into a 3 phase 32a outlet it charges at 20A and says 240V. Has anyone seen this behaviour?

Max charge about 50km per hour.

TEsla said this:
“The high power charging upgrade will only change the “charger type” from “Single Limited” to “Tesla Single” So, in the Garage configuration page, the charger type will be displayed as:

Charger Type: TeslaSingle

And also if the customer has our wall connector wired as 3-phase, he/she should be able to charge at 24A 3-phase instead of 16A 3phase”

Below is a screenshot of your vehicle config to confirm:

cid:image002.jpg@01D2C81F.4451AB30

Does anyone have any idea?

Ok - so i have supposedly upgraded over the air the charger. I bought a juice booster - when plugged into a 3 phase 32a outlet it charges at 20A and says 240V. Has anyone seen this behaviour?

Max charge about 50km per hour.

TEsla said this:
“The high power charging upgrade will only change the “charger type” from “Single Limited” to “Tesla Single” So, in the Garage configuration page, the charger type will be displayed as:

Charger Type: TeslaSingle

And also if the customer has our wall connector wired as 3-phase, he/she should be able to charge at 24A 3-phase instead of 16A 3phase”

Below is a screenshot of your vehicle config to confirm:

cid:image002.jpg@01D2C81F.4451AB30

Does anyone have any idea?

Attachments

• image002-1.jpg
    image002-1.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 71

You should get 24A with the upgraded charger. The Tesla will say 240V even on three phase sockets, but you should get a little "3" next to the Amp value.

Has the Juice Booster correctly detected the 32A "tail"? It should have a green LED under the "32"

ok - so we have tried this on 2 32a 3 phase outputs in diff towns. I get the following:
SAt 3 next to 20/20 and 240V - juice booster says 20 - although flashes up to the 32A part - do you think this is a problem with the car (eg not upgraded) or the juicebooster (tested before coming to me I am told), or 2 outlets 50km apart (seems unlikely)?

I ahve attached shots - any thoughts appreciated..

Attachments

• IMG_4174.jpeg
    IMG_4174.jpeg
    289 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_4173.jpeg
    IMG_4173.jpeg
    274 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_4171.jpeg
    IMG_4171.jpeg
    410.6 KB · Views: 54
According to the manual you can adjust the JuiceBooster current setting in the first 30 seconds of charging. Did you try to change the current setting and therefore the position of the green LED on the JuiceBooster? Your pictures seem consistent. The JuiceBooster is set to 20 amps and the car says it's taking all 20 amps that are available [ (3) 20/20 ]

JuiceBooster Charging Page.jpg