Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Confused on Model S vs 3 Discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great thread. I am struggling with the size of BEV I want given the urban environment.Tight er and shorter parking spots, gridlock,yet for the latter,I want to use autopilot.Model Y is the ideal form factor,or a wagon, C- class sized. 2020 model years will hopefully bring some BEV options from Mercedes, Volvo,and Tesla* I am watching Tesla owner Youtubers to see their real world use of the X,many are not urban dwellers where city space is tight. I like this site the owner perspective ,and experience helps.

Reactions: Irishpilot
IMO, the market segment for each vehicle can be summed up as such:
  • Model 3 - Aimed at younger buyers who value affordability, design simplicity, people moving capacity & range in a compact outside package.
  • Model S - Older, more affluent buyers who like a larger sport touring sedan with ample cargo space as a bonus.
  • Model X - Affluent buyers who like the higher SUV seating position & ground clearance with great people & cargo carrying versatility.
One vehicle is not "better" than the other but rather exists to target individual but overlapping market segments.
Well said about the overlapping. I want the AWD for the northeast winters. Yet I prefer a smaller firm factor due to the urban topography.Ergonmoics, also tech,bi-directional LED,360 camera...

I think a lot of people feel that the Model S/X premium reflects a poor value. The Model 3 has a newer and nicer interior, is a better engineered vehicle with a newer design, and will (hopefully) be manufactured to stricter tolerances. The only advantages to S/X that I can see are interior storage and space, and speed. Is that worth double the price? For many the answer to that question is no.
The model 3 interior being nicer in terms of quality has yet to be demonstrated. All we have right now are videos. I'll wait til I sit in one to make a conclusion on that. The Model X interior is quite nice and addresses hebS shortcoming - door panels - with door panels that are noticeably upmarket. The 3, thus far, looks cheap wrt seats and the chunky door panel design. This I'd expect - and I'll probably buy one - but let's not kid ourselves that the interior is better than the S/X until we have a detailed side by side in person comparison of material feel.

Reactions: Brian-MS90D
The model 3 interior being nicer in terms of quality has yet to be demonstrated. All we have right now are videos. I'll wait til I sit in one to make a conclusion on that. The Model X interior is quite nice and addresses hebS shortcoming - door panels - with door panels that are noticeably upmarket. The 3, thus far, looks cheap wrt seats and the chunky door panel design. This I'd expect - and I'll probably buy one - but let's not kid ourselves that the interior is better than the S/X until we have a detailed side by side in person comparison of material feel.
I'll give you that, but I was speaking more in terms of the overall design being more futuristic, having a fold-down arm rest/divider in the rear, door and seatback pockets, coat hooks, and adjustable seatbelts - all of which the Model S lacks.

I think the reason you see this is that many Tesla enthusiasts do not understand or consume luxury goods in general and are not clear with or comfortable with the idea of diminishing marginal returns and of paying large sums of money (to them) for what are minor comfort differences. This applies to all luxury goods everywhere - these people would also be clueless about why you pay five figures or more for a Patek Phillipe.
The difference in size is not minor to my teenagers who have to sit in the back seat. We could all squeeze into a Ford Fiesta if we had to, I guess...

IMO, the market segment for each vehicle can be summed up as such:
  • Model 3 - Aimed at younger buyers who value affordability, design simplicity, people moving capacity & range in a compact outside package.
  • Model S - Older, more affluent buyers who like a larger sport touring sedan with ample cargo space as a bonus.
  • Model X - Affluent buyers who like the higher SUV seating position & ground clearance with great people & cargo carrying versatility.
One vehicle is not "better" than the other but rather exists to target individual but overlapping market segments.
We don't know yet for sure, but it is likely Model 3 will have better handling. Lighter weight, lower polar moment of inertia and Motor Trend's glowing initial review seem to indicate this will be the case.

I would think part of the reason the S tires don't spin out with such tremendous torque is due to its power weight distribution as well as its sheer mass planting the wheels to the ground.

With M3, its lighter weight may aid in curb weight however it's yet to to be seen how it's reduced weight mass will affect off the line handling during extreme acceleration.

Weight might help plant the tires but it also resists acceleration, IMO the reason the MS launches so well is the more precise traction control with electric vs. an ICE and the computer screwing with timing and throttle position to regain traction which I think cuts power much more than necessary.

I'll give you that, but I was speaking more in terms of the overall design being more futuristic, having a fold-down arm rest/divider in the rear, door and seatback pockets, coat hooks, and adjustable seatbelts - all of which the Model S lacks.

Actually, this is the reason why i do not wait for the Model 3 . I have 3 kids and the rear central armrest is a deal breaker. Actually, in Europe, there is almost no 4 wheel drive sedan with 3 rear seats.