Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Confused over if I have new nav and/or maps (car in shop)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I was unfortunate to have some bumper damage that required a visit to the body shop in early April (9th to be exact). Since that time, Tesla rolled out all the new goodie software for the nav and maps. I have no idea if the body shop did any updates (the car was sitting awhile waiting for parts and remote access had been disabled). There was an update that occured when I got the car back but it was an extremely minor one and was just bug fixes.

That said, I am on version 2018.18 2 - I know the maps are independent but I should have gotten the navigation right? When I checked the app settings the "use traffic to navigate" was turned off and I got the warning screen asking to use data to help navigate, etc. etc. But when I do use the navigation the display for the driver is the old one and not the new look. And i don't see the navigation beta on the big screen at the bottom. It just says navigation by tesla. I thought 2018.12 was he new navigation update (so I should have it since I am on .18?)? If the body shop did do the update, I didn't get to see the "whats new" screen. Maps have the "google maps 2018" at the bottom but I don't know if those are the new maps are not. Older Model S's are getting the new nav right?

So
  • Have update that is newer than the navigation update
  • Navigation appears to be the older navigation layout
  • App settings seem to be the new navigation (with the question warning and using traffic to route)
  • Navigation is poor - like the older nav. Says navigation by tesla (and not the new phrase)
  • Maps say Google 2018, but I don't think the new roadways are there.

So, how can I find this out? It appears I may have some mish-mash of updates without the full nav or maps. I am so confused.

Reactions: DriverOne
Navigation update is separate from the firmware updates. It is rolling out at a slower speed.

2018.18.2 is the most recent firmware, so that is up to date.

When did you get 2018.18.2? And what did you have before it? 2018.12 was the first firmware that officially allowed the new navigation.

Program any destination. On the main screen you should see Tesla navigation (beta) next to Google maps - shooting from memory, so the actual text might be different.

On the instrument cluster you should see the turn by turn map displaying bubbles with road and street names.

There are number of youtube videos showcasing the new updated nav, too.

Program any destination. On the main screen you should see Tesla navigation (beta) next to Google maps - shooting from memory, so the actual text might be different.

On the instrument cluster you should see the turn by turn map displaying bubbles with road and street names.

There are number of youtube videos showcasing the new updated nav, too.

Yes, this.

When you are in navigation mode, you should see 'Tesla Beta Navigation' on the bottom right of the MCU. It should look like the link below. It will look like this:

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/attachments/97c2029e-7d50-4559-8315-2ec70fff559e-jpeg.294119/

• Informative
Reactions: DriverOne and arcus
I agree it is somewhat confusing, but the bottom line is that the new maps/nav is a separate download AFTER you have the appropriate firmware (I think anything >2018.14). After speaking with Tesla support, they confirmed that they have NO IDEA when or who it will go out to. They confirmed (which was already known) that it is a large download and it will come in batches over WIFI only. I believe you will get an update screen explaining that the update has been applied. So, if you have not seen the update screen and/or it looks the same as it did before, then you don't have the new nav yet.

Ahh thanks for the replies. I knew the maps were separate, I didn't know the nav was. I guess I got really confused with the navigation by traffic turned off and asking me to collect data acceptance I had done all that when I got the car over a year ago (Although I don't remember the data thing), so I guess that is why I was confused.

I updated to 2018.18.2 yesterday, but I don't know how long I had it pushed to me since it was in the body shop. I don't remember my previous version but I think it was only 2018.10.xxx I don't remember being at .12 and it was definitely not .14.

Ahh thanks for the replies. I knew the maps were separate, I didn't know the nav was. I guess I got really confused with the navigation by traffic turned off and asking me to collect data acceptance I had done all that when I got the car over a year ago (Although I don't remember the data thing), so I guess that is why I was confused.

I updated to 2018.18.2 yesterday, but I don't know how long I had it pushed to me since it was in the body shop. I don't remember my previous version but I think it was only 2018.10.xxx I don't remember being at .12 and it was definitely not .14.
Same. I went from 2018.10 straight to 2018.18.2. Got a road trip coming up in a couple of weeks.... Hoping to get some goodness by then. Patience is the name of the game!