Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Confused over options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all:

I changed my mind to actually buy a loaner ...I am confused over two options...It would be great if you guys can suggest which will be a better option

Option 1:

Silver Color + Black leather seats + 85kWh battery pack + Tech package + 19 inch wheels + Single Charger + Solid roof + Coil Suspension + Parking Sensors + Yacht floor + Super charger enabled

Option 2: ( For $7000 more)

Red MC Color + Black Leather seats + 85kWh battery pack + Tech package + 19 Cylcone wheels + Twin Chargers + Solid roof + Air Suspension + Parking Sensors + Carbon Fiber Spoiler + Yacht Floor + Super charger enabled

Questions:

1. I can really afford Option 1 and I am comfortable with that option however in order to add Twin Charger after the production I am spending another $3600 and in that way I feel Option 2 is better

2. I am little concerned about the battery degradation posts by some members although I understand that it is not a big concern and degradation is well within normal range for other EV's.

3. I am thinking I will save some money with option 1 just in case few years later Tesla comes with bigger battery that has range over 400miles..Not sure how much the battery pack will be after 5 years.

4. How do MS owners feel after investing 90K + when promising battery packs with better range are on their way?

I do not intend to hurt any MS owners but I am requesting your help in quelling my fears or concerns...

Thanks in advance

The real differences other than decorative things are the air suspension and twin chargers. I have had my P85 for 10 months in Northern California and have taken the car down to LA for a 5 day trip. I have never had a situation where the twin charger would have been helpful. In fact, I have never seen a charger over 40 amps in the wild (other than CHAdeMO and Tesla Superchargers) in California, though I hear they exist.
Also, I chose coils as they seem to grip the road better and I was not interested in a cushy ride.

I do really like the MC red....

The real differences other than decorative things are the air suspension and twin chargers. I have had my P85 for 10 months in Northern California and have taken the car down to LA for a 5 day trip. I have never had a situation where the twin charger would have been helpful. In fact, I have never seen a charger over 40 amps in the wild (other than CHAdeMO and Tesla Superchargers) in California, though I hear they exist.
Also, I chose coils as they seem to grip the road better and I was not interested in a cushy ride.

I do really like the MC red....

We determined in an earlier thread that taurusking is in the group who could use dual chargers. He will sometimes need to charge near his destination to get back home and he has the Dallas Gallery nearby with seven HPWCs.

Otherwise, once chargers are added back into option 1, the price differential doesn't seem to be substantial.

I wish those cars were available when I ordered mine. We are all taking a risk of buying a technology that could be cheaper and better in the not too distant future. Most of probably hope that is the case really.

One good way to think of it is that the car has the value to you that made spending the money worth it for you now..... an 85kwh will still have 85kwhs when a 110kwh comes out. I personally feel the S and X are so far ahead of the their time that they have some level of future proofing. I think we are years out from a 40kwh from any other manufacturer, let alone aluminum construction, the center console, 20,000w AC charging, and Super Charging.

However, the concerns are legitimate regarding price. If you are like me where it was a stretch to financially justify a Tesla, I suggest getting the features that will add more permanent value to the car. Something like a carbon fiber spoiler, I don't see that being of any value in the used market, and you pay for it up front. Dual chargers, lasting value. Cold weather package, lasting value (in the right areas).

You're already ahead of the curve buying a demonstrator, and you also save sales tax if relevant.

My $.02 anyway.

PS Are any of us ever going to sell our Model S anyway? Maybe this really will be the car I hang on to 'till I croak.

Like my house, they will carry me out of my P85+ in a bag. Good point Evbwcaer, I will keep mine for some time to come.

I went all out. I'm at the age where "why the F not" is OK. But I agree with other comments about not going full hog unless you see a real reason for it. I placed my order and now wonder about the dual chargers. But I do think that they may help with the future proof issue. I have no doubt that the charging infrastructure is going grow substantially in the next few years. This car really is the future. But I also understand that though it seems future proof due the ability to update most of the car through a SW download, it will be obsolete before we know it, as all tech is.

As far things like carbon fibre spoilers, they are all look and flash and... fun. It actually increases drag just a slight bit. Therefore less range. Because of my trim level, it's included.

So, IMHO, I would say only buy the items that will give you the most joy every day as you drive the dream car of your life. For me, that is acceleration, handling and tech...in that order.

I went all the way on mine because I decided on no compromises. But that's just me and I am willing pay for it. I know it's not the smartest move, but to be frank, I simply don't care.

I am one lucky guy.

Good luck!

#1. Since you are in East Texas, the primary issue is do you intend to travel toward known Supercharger network, or more into the wild.
The Twin Charger improves the charging time only when charging @ a HPWC (cuts charging time in half). It does not improve charging rate @ a 240V outlet or a Supercharger.
I do suspect some locations (including hotels and owners via Plugshare) will continue to add HPWC units as you travel further off the network.
Adding the second charge is an Option you can exercise in the future if you determine the need for it in the Silver car: it can be added at any time/later date.

#2. You did not say if the mileage for the two cars were similar or is there is a significant mileage difference. That also might have a bearing on the cost delta between the two cars.

#3. What might be difference maker for some folks is the car color. If your personality (type) works with a MC Red, I would go with that car. I have seen 7 or 8 Teslas parked together, and the car that gets the most attention is the MC Red. Some people like the attention, some want to be wallflowers (like me-- Gray here).

#4. Please confirm that both cars are S85s. Again, if the MC Red is a P85 in lieu of an S85, go for it.

#5. WRT larger (future) batteries: you will not be able to fully future-proof your car.
Some things will certainly happen with regard to technology and battery range, so just buy and enjoy your car as it currently configured. Batteries on all 85 models are warrantied for 8 years, unlimited mileage. At 5 years, you will certainly have a slight bit of range reduction, but not a significant amount. Keeping your battery pack properly balanced has a lot to do with any amount of degraded range.

I agree with jcaspar. The only REAL difference is the Air suspension and the dual chargers.
My build is similar to option 1. Never seen the opportunity to use the dual chargers in the last year of having the car. Tesla is adding HPWCs near their stores, having dual chargers for this would be helpful. But given the roll out of the superchargers I do not see using the HPWCs very often.
Go with option 1 and invest the money you save in TSLA...win/win!!!

When my battery warranty expires, I will look at upgrade options. Until then, I will be happy with my 85.

When do you take delivery?

If it is option 1 ...Mid Oct

If it is option 2...End Sep

- - - Updated - - -

Aren't they loaners? I didn't know that you could remove options from them.

Is option 2 a P85? I'd assume based on the CF spoiler. I guess that's the first thing you should think about- whether you want a P85 or a S85.

Sorry if I confused you...you are correct...Options cannot be removed... I was just wondering which car to choose...

Option 2 is actually S 85

- - - Updated - - -

Save some money and forget about the Yacht Floor.

The Yacht floor comes with the car ...when you pick loaner car ...you cannot delete options

- - - Updated - - -

We determined in an earlier thread that taurusking is in the group who could use dual chargers. He will sometimes need to charge near his destination to get back home and he has the Dallas Gallery nearby with seven HPWCs.

Otherwise, once chargers are added back into option 1, the price differential doesn't seem to be substantial.

I agree...I will be driving to DFW twice in a month and having dual chargers will help me a lot to quickly charge the car at Dallas Gallery which has HPWC's..

I am happy with coil suspension, solid roof and regular 19 inch wheels but unfortunately when I decided to pick a loaner car for some savings ...I cannot delete those options that I do not need

I was under the impression they kept the loaners for a fixed period of time, (e.g. 3 or 6 months). In that case, they would know exactly when they rolled over. Of course, given the factory delays, most would prefer they keep the loaner fleet static, so that all new cars go to reservations, but as long as they are following a fixed schedule, I'm ok with that.