Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Confusing brake Auto Hold Confused me into accident.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I use Roll mode for a couple reasons:

1. Hold mode didnt exist on teslas when I got it, as OP says
2. Back when hold mode came out, my wife still had a ICE vehicle (a BMW X3) and I didnt want to re wire my brain from NOT automatically pushing the brake pedal when I want to stop, if I am in any vehicle other than a tesla.
3. I still have a desire for #2 ( to NOT re-wire my brain away from "stop" = pushing brake pedal.)

Note that I am completely comfortable with regen, and most of the time I can regen brake down to a point where I only have to lightly touch the brake pedal... but I do still have to move my foot to the brake pedal, just like in a "regular" car. I want that to continue to be automatic.

Humans are super adaptable. Using one pedal driving will get a person used to NOT pushing the brake in any other circumstance. When my wife had her X3 still, every time I drove it, I got slightly disoriented when I took my foot of the brake, and the car just continued "hurtling" forward without slowing down in the slightest. Only took a minute or two to get re acquainted, but I definitely did not (and do not) want any "re acquainting" with a brake pedal.
Good point about retraining your brain. I have a 4runner that I use for surfing/bikes/dog/costco etc, but the driving experience is so different I have not had an instance of forgetting to brake 'normally'.

After about 10 minutes of waiting for my traffic direction to go, my attention wavered, my foot pressure eased off the brake and I coasted forward and tapped the stopped car in front of me.
Sorry to sound too harsh but 100% ur fault n it does happen a lot with many drivers in sitting traffic.
Its one of those 1st world problems that make drivers less aware with Tech features...
Most ppl (including me), after about 2-3min in standstill (like a bridge lift) will Park their car or use Parking brake.
In rare occasions when i need to keep creeping in super slow traffic n my right foot gets tired i start using my left for braking till my right one rests.
Drive safe.

Reactions: rpiotro
Related aside, I not a big fan of pushing the stalk control for Park (Parking brake) which I remember when picking up my car was probably on a checklist (or from experience) for them to show you how to do. Thus, I have not been using the Park button a lot during driving. Also I believe I would have automatically used my the hand parking brake in the above situation in my other car (stick). Also, when I switch to my stick car, "Stalk Reverse" messes with my brain and hilarity ensues when I try to go into reverse with my other car's wiper controls. Can't suggest anything better though except maybe using standard controls.

Follow up: Heard nothing from the person I hit. But unfortunately, the Model 3 uses the radar sensor and it's plastic bracket as a front "Bumper Support" and it sacrifices itself for your safety during a collision. I thought the car hit the front license plate, but it hit higher and caused some micro flex cracks in the paint on top that I didn't notice. Days (6?) later my Telsa started throwing up "Autopilot safety/convience features unavailable Features may be restored on next drive" errors. I took it in and got the radar sensor fixed for $865. You have to take off the front bumper to do anything with it (expensive) and they may have just replaced the beat up radar sensor to be safe (as opposed to the plastic bracket and recalibration/aiming). Aside: Learned about the cool "Service Mode" during the Tesla service visit as they pulled it up in front of me and I saw details on the alert (I thought it was the cameras because the car stopped reading speed limit signs, but the radar problem killed the whole Autopilot system).

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: XPsionic
Interesting. Since they are killing off radar as part of AP/FSD I'm surprised they bothered replacing it. I would think they have some kind of block-off plug or just leave it unplugged and update the software not to look for it.

I thought the same thing. But maybe because I only have the 2.5 Autopilot Computer and 2018 Cameras and don't actually have the autopilot option. I got the "Performance Bit" (0=Non Performance/1=Performance) instead. The most expensive bit (flip) I have ever bought!