Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Confusion about EAP vs AP on a HW2 Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm trying to figure out what the heck I have... I bought the car used from Tesla about a year back. Late 2016 Model S with HW2.

I have ALL the functionality that currently exists as far as I can tell (Navigate on Autopilot, auto lane changing, etc.) Which is what leads me to believe that my car has EAP. My purchase agreement from Tesla said just "Autopilot".

But my purchase history in the app doesn't show EAP or anything, it's blank. And the FSD upgrade is the full $10k price, which I think is supposed to be discounted if you have EAP, right?

So what gives? Anyone else run into this?

And it seems like those cars just call it 'AutoPilot' on the screen, right? I had a loaner Model S a few weeks ago just like that. Had most of the features but just showed 'AutoPilot' on the cabin screens. It's funny, because our 2017 MX shows similar on screen, but we only have basic AutoPilot, and the enhanced features are not available.

Ok, so doesn't that mean that I should have the discounted FSD available? I thought I saw people saying that FSD is only $5k if you have EAP...

That's correct, you should be able to add FSD for something like $5-6k if you have EAP. I guess the question is whether Tesla knows you have EAP and whether it was actually purchased by the previous owner. If you're interested in FSD, you can take a chance and try to get the discount, but if it turns out you weren't supposed to have EAP to begin with, Tesla will probably remove it.

And it seems like those cars just call it 'AutoPilot' on the screen, right? I had a loaner Model S a few weeks ago just like that. Had most of the features but just showed 'AutoPilot' on the cabin screens. It's funny, because our 2017 MX shows similar on screen, but we only have basic AutoPilot, and the enhanced features are not available.

Not sure how it appears on the screen, because I have FSD. However, Navigate on Autopilot is definitely only available in either EAP or FSD, not in basic AP.

So on screen mine is calling it "Highway Autopilot", which doesn't seem right honestly, given all the functionality I have in the Autopilot settings.

Tesla1.jpg

Tesla2.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: cobra
That's correct, you should be able to add FSD for something like $5-6k if you have EAP. I guess the question is whether Tesla knows you have EAP and whether it was actually purchased by the previous owner. If you're interested in FSD, you can take a chance and try to get the discount, but if it turns out you weren't supposed to have EAP to begin with, Tesla will probably remove it.

Not sure how it appears on the screen, because I have FSD. However, Navigate on Autopilot is definitely only available in either EAP or FSD, not in basic AP.

See, that's what I'm worried about, and it's why I haven't wanted to talk to Tesla about it yet. When I first bought the car, the Tesla tech was really surprised because to them it looked like I had FSD and they didn't think the car had it when I bought it, based on what it said in the system.

So right from the start, something seemed off, but I didn't want to rock the boat, lol.

Do you really think they'd take something away? Is there a precedent for that? :(

Here's what my app screen shows right now, FYI

Screenshot_20210323-102722.png

Yes, Tesla has taken EAP away from other owners who weren't supposed to have it.

Other than the HW3 upgrade, there's nothing about FSD at this point that provides a compelling reason to upgrade from EAP and risk losing what you already have. If you decide to upgrade to FSD in the future, you'll end up paying for the EAP that you've been enjoying all along.

Wow, check this out... I just found something that seems to indicate that "Highway Autopilot" was a new name given to HW1 cars! My car is DEFINITELY HW2 however (it's got all the additional cameras, and was built in Dec 2016). So there's definitely something strange going on...

According to some recent media articles, Tesla has started calling the "FSD City Streets" beta "Autosteer on City Streets" (presumably to avoid implying it's actually full self driving), so "Highway Autopilot" sort of makes sense. I never saw that term before either.

Reactions: cy2k