Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

confusion about "service plan" vs "warranty"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Even after slogging through a 4-page thread, it's still not clear to me what sorts of costs would be involved for things that break on a Model S.

1) Is there any actual penalty to having the car "serviced" less frequently than 12k miles? If you drive 18k miles a year and still have it serviced once/year, what actually happens?

2) what is NOT covered by the "annual service"?

I'm trying to figure out the maintenance strategy/plan/budgeting for this thing, and it's making my head swim.

That is good news that the service plan still includes everything except tires. Is there a replacement plan on things like wiper blades, breaks, headlights, etc... or is it strictly as needed. If it is as needed, then what happens if a headlight goes out, but I am nowhere near my annual service checkup? Do I have to fork out the cash for one from say autozone?

Just ordered mine last week (hoping for a March Delivery) so would like to know how this all works :)

The best part of the service plan is that it covers unlimited free Tesla Ranger visits. This is particularly nice if you live more than an hour from the nearest service center. Without the plan, you'll pay extra for Ranger service, even if the work itself is covered under warranty. The service plan also covers the annual (or every 12,500 mile) checkup which costs $600 without the plan. The checkup includes replacement of everything that wears, including brake pads & rotors, wiper blades, etc. (Tires are not included, although the plan does appear to cover seasonal wheel changes—if you have two sets of wheels.)

If you've ever owned an Audi or BMW, you will understand what a bargain this plan is at $600/year.

The best part of the service plan is that it covers unlimited free Tesla Ranger visits. This is particularly nice if you live more than an hour from the nearest service center. Without the plan, you'll pay extra for Ranger service, even if the work itself is covered under warranty. The service plan also covers the annual (or every 12,500 mile) checkup which costs $600 without the plan. The checkup includes replacement of everything that wears, including brake pads & rotors, wiper blades, etc. (Tires are not included, although the plan does appear to cover seasonal wheel changes—if you have two sets of wheels.)

If you've ever owned an Audi or BMW, you will understand what a bargain this plan is at $600/year.
Misleading? You have to pay extra for that ... forgot the cost, but there's a flat rate, otherwise you're ala carte. Or did they change it?

Misleading? You have to pay extra for that ... forgot the cost, but there's a flat rate, otherwise you're ala carte. Or did they change it?

It isn't 600, it is a different price, you have to pay for a 4 year plan (minimum) and the cost for the unlimited ranger service is 2400 as opposed to the normal 4 year plan which is 1900. The 600 is if you pay per year as opposed to getting a plan. He possibly could have made that more clear in the post.

1) There is no penalty on the warranty for not having the car serviced (at all). Initially they said service was mandatory, but they reversed that.

Does that only apply to the initial 4 year New Vehicle Warranty? Or does that apply to the ESA also? I just read all 7 pages of the ESA contract on TM, & it's specifically states the warranty is void if Tesla Service Recommendations are not followed, ie service every 12500 miles; if they did reverse that, is there a new contract out there that reflects this? Thanks.

Are you sure brakes are included? I remember asking a while back and they didn't know for sure but I seem to recall they told me that they were not covered (Costa Mesa) but I could be wrong.

$600 for wiper blades? How is that a bargain? Brake pads in the first 50k miles is practically excessive wear and tear. Considering BMW covers brake pads for free if I recall, I again don't see the bargain.

EVs require little maintenance. Charging $600 a year is a total rip off.

Does that only apply to the initial 4 year New Vehicle Warranty? Or does that apply to the ESA also? I just read all 7 pages of the ESA contract on TM, & it's specifically states the warranty is void if Tesla Service Recommendations are not followed, ie service every 12500 miles; if they did reverse that, is there a new contract out there that reflects this? Thanks.

Are you sure brakes are included? I remember asking a while back and they didn't know for sure but I seem to recall they told me that they were not covered (Costa Mesa) but I could be wrong.

From Tesla Service | Tesla Motors

However, even if you never bring in the car, your warranty is still valid.

Replacement parts like brake pads and windshield wipers (excluding tires)

The terms and conditions document they send when you sign up has this to say regarding exclusions to the agreement:

"The Agreement is only for the maintenance services specified in this Agreement and does not cover certain parts, including the Battery and tires, or any Vehicle damage or malfunction directly or indirectly caused by, due to or resulting from any maintenance not performed as required pursuant to the scheduled intervals specified in the owners documentation for Your Vehicle will not be covered under this Agreement."

I know that seems to be a mangled sentence there at the end, but that's how it's written.

Under "Tesla's Responsibilities" is a bullet that says: "Replacement or repair at the time of inspection of normal maintenance items and wear and tear parts, excluding the Battery and tires"

So, yes, brakes are included.

The terms and conditions document they send when you sign up has this to say regarding exclusions to the agreement:

"The Agreement is only for the maintenance services specified in this Agreement and does not cover certain parts, including the Battery and tires, or any Vehicle damage or malfunction directly or indirectly caused by, due to or resulting from any maintenance not performed as required pursuant to the scheduled intervals specified in the owners documentation for Your Vehicle will not be covered under this Agreement."

I know that seems to be a mangled sentence there at the end, but that's how it's written.

Under "Tesla's Responsibilities" is a bullet that says: "Replacement or repair at the time of inspection of normal maintenance items and wear and tear parts, excluding the Battery and tires"

So, yes, brakes are included.

That's good to know. I realize the wear and tear on the brake pads is less than on a comparable ICE but eventually even on a Tesla the brake pads will wear out and they aren't cheap.

Last edited:
That's good to know. I realize the wear and tear on the brake pads is less than on a compatible ICE but eventually even on a Tesla the brake pads will wear out and they aren't cheap.

We just got our Toyota Highlander brakes looked at, 80k miles and the service center thinks we have at least another 20k. May be approaching a record!

When do people usually have to purchase new brake pads for the Model S? I was thinking about doing the 4 year plan but realized I will only get 2.5-3 years out of it. Any harm in an annual service every 17-20k miles? I generally am at the dealership 3-4 times a year for scheduled maintenance with the ICE.

Last edited:
When do people usually have to purchase new brake pads for the Model S? I was thinking about doing the 4 year plan but realized I will only get 2.5-3 years out of it. Any harm in an annual service every 17-20k miles? I generally am at the dealership 3-4 times a year for scheduled maintenance with the ICE.

Elon said that once per year is fine regardless of driving distance.

Given how much the brakes are used, you may never need to replace them.

When do people usually have to purchase new brake pads for the Model S?

I doubt that any Model S owner has driven their car enough yet to produce more than 10% wear on their brake pads.

I suspect the pads will last way over 100K miles for the vast majority of owners.

The only part that wears out on a Model S is the tires (wiper blades generally get hard from age and need replacing before they actually show wear) and I think some owners have put over 40K on their Michelin Primacy tires without replacing them which is pretty good for such a heavy car.

Given the likely extremely long projected lifetime of the electric motor, the aluminum body which doesn't rust, and the fact that in 8 or 10 years we will probably be able to buy a new battery with double the Kw capacity at half the price of a new one today, I think Tesla may well set a new standard for the "useful life" of an automobile.

I forgot to mention that I did sign up for the 4-year plan for $2,400. I've had three ranger visits since March 2013, and I haven't paid a penny for them. I live 220 miles from the nearest service center, so if I was paying ala carte, it would be getting expensive. One of those ranger visits was for the 12,500 mile service, which included a number of factory updates in addition to wiper blades, etc. Yes, it's possible to skip the 12,500 mile "annual" service without voiding the warranty, but after seeing how many issues were addressed, I'm glad I had it done.

Last edited:
I did not buy a service plan - I do not see the value in it.

I did buy the extended warranty (back when it was $2500), because I do see that paying for itself in years 5-8. I don't know the costs of the screen, air suspension, etc, but I'm guessing they aren't cheap, and I like knowing I won't be paying anything for maintenance for the next 7 years.

However, even if you never bring in the car, your warranty is still valid.

Excellent. I wonder why they don't put that exact line in the actual ESA contract. Better archive that page & keep it for records in case Tesla suddenly decides to change their policy without telling anyone, and we have nothing to prove it. Not like they would or have done that :rolleyes:

However since I didn't purchase my S until the price went up from $2500 to $4000, I think I'll wait until the last 30 days of the 4 year New Car warranty before deciding whether to buy the ESA.

I did buy the extended warranty (back when it was $2500), because I do see that paying for itself in years 5-8. I don't know the costs of the screen, air suspension, etc, but I'm guessing they aren't cheap, and I like knowing I won't be paying anything for maintenance for the next 7 years.

Wouldn't air suspension pump replacements be considered under wear and tear and therefore be a part of the service plan?

Also, can somebody please clarify what "hardware upgrades" are included as part of the service plan? It seems to me that even people without the service plan always come out with all hardware upgrades performed under warranty.

Wouldn't air suspension pump replacements be considered under wear and tear and therefore be a part of the service plan?

I doubt it. Wear and tear items would be things that are designed to be replaced such as brake pads and wiper blades. If a pump breaks, I'm guessing that is just a component failure that would need to be covered by warranty. If your wiper blade motor went out, I would expect that to be a warranty item as well - not a service plan.

Maybe I'm just too negative. But I stopped drinking the koolaid when it came to the service plan, or as I refer to it, "The very expensive wiper blade replacement" plan.