Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

confusion about "service plan" vs "warranty"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So a followup question... the current wording on the web page is as follows:

Tesla Service includes everything needed to keep your Model S in great condition. System monitoring is always on alert and software updates keep your car up-to-date with new features even after you've taken delivery. All plans include annual inspection, or inspection every 12,500 miles.
Which, to me, implies that if you drove 25,000 miles a year, you could still get the car inspected every 12500 miles - for a total of 8 inspections in the 4-year coverage window.

This makes sense from a consumer standpoint - you get the car inspected every 12.5k or every year whichever is more often. I'm not 100% sure this makes sense from Tesla's view, unless they figure that the actual amount of work that will be done is worth keeping a close eye on all their cars. If most of these "maintenance" visits are really just look-see inspections and not lots of actual work, it sort of makes sense.

Does anyone have a more authoritative read on this?

Something I hadn't heard before. Yesterday at the Sunnyvale Service center, I was told that Tire rotation is covered under the service plan (every 5,000 miles) or you pay $40 ish if you don't have the plan.

Except, paying the $600 annual fee once a year for the annual service is a service plan. So no change. Only difference with prepaying is the price difference.

Except, paying the $600 annual fee once a year for the annual service is a service plan. So no change. Only difference with prepaying is the price difference.

And the unlimited Ranger visits (if you opt for those).

- - - Updated - - -

Does anyone have a more authoritative read on this?

While they haven't changed the wording, there is no milage requirement anymore, just once a year. It does have to be done within the year though or you lose it.

By pre-paying you also lock yourself in with respect to written statements by Tesla, such as the fact that hardware upgrades are included. If Tesla decides to exclude those at a later date then those that have not pre-paid will lose out.

Also, I'm kind of surprised Tesla still has hardware upgrades listed on their website given that they've been quite elusive as to what exactly they entail.

And the unlimited Ranger visits (if you opt for those).

- - - Updated - - -

While they haven't changed the wording, there is no milage requirement anymore, just once a year. It does have to be done within the year though or you lose it.

Maybe in Texas, here at Fremont Factory, if you have purchased the service plan, it's 1yr or 12.5K whichever comes first. I have worked with 2 different service advisors, and both confirmed the same thing.

And if it's true in Texas, I wonder why we are having different treatments... :-/

Maybe in Texas, here at Fremont Factory, if you have purchased the service plan, it's 1yr or 12.5K whichever comes first. I have worked with 2 different service advisors, and both confirmed the same thing.

And if it's true in Texas, I wonder why we are having different treatments... :-/

I suspect there is a problem with internal communications. Elon has said once a year is enough, and there are posts with ownership responses confirming this. I think the difference is the Fremont Factory has thousands of employees, vs a handful at a Service Centre.