Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Confusion on non-Tesla charging in France on Supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was under the impression that non-tesla charging on SC was only being experimented in the Netherlands on 10 SCs.
A few days ago, I tried and supercharged at the Parly II SC on a Saturday. As seems to be the usual, half of the stalled were ICed. One user was actually driving a Mini e and was positive he would be able to charge (even though it did not work this time...). I tried to explain that it was not yet the case but a model 3 driver charging next to him was also positive charging in France for non-tesla was on. I drove away puzzled by the level of confusion and convinced I knew better.
Fast forward to a few days ago when a ranger came to check on a minor issue on my S. I mentioned the conversation I had and he also told me that it was opened in France as well but below the radar. Tesla is not advertising this but non-tesla could register in the app and charge, albeit at an hefty price.
Anyone here with same/different info ? So far I have never seen a non-tesla actually charging.

Reactions: petit_bateau
I guess thats why the prices in France have ramped up so much in the last 12 months - I think 0.24 to 0.42 since I bought a Model S at the end of 2020. I hate to think what it costs without a Tesla - price seems difficult to find. I've pretty much stopped using superchargers recently - ionity are considerably cheaper with the right subscription.

I guess thats why the prices in France have ramped up so much in the last 12 months - I think 0.24 to 0.42 since I bought a Model S at the end of 2020. I hate to think what it costs without a Tesla - price seems difficult to find. I've pretty much stopped using superchargers recently - ionity are considerably cheaper with the right subscription.
Sure, but are those Ionity subscriptions available to Tesla owners? The best ones I've heard of are all sponsored by traditional automakers and only available to their customers. Anyone can pay Tesla the modest monthly fee and get the same Supercharging fee as Tesla owners.

Question of quantity I guess. The monthly Ionity fee gets you, in France, approx 10c per KwH cheaper than Tesla - you'll need to be doing a decent mileage to cover the subs cost but not outrageous. If you have a deal with another non-Tesla car manufacturer it may be as much as 20c per KwH cheaper usually with no subs. Tesla, in France, has gone up much quicker than anyone else although the others will inevitably catch up due to the increase on wholesale KwH. While the Tesla super charger network was a buying point last year it's a rapidly disappearing advantage in Europe, not least helped by Tesla opening up to others - not complaining as it makes it much easier using my other car which has lower range than the Model S.

Interesting, I was using a UK sub in France last year and thought it came out at .35/KwH with a 17.99 per month but I'm going to go back and check that. Hyundai were billing at .25/KwH through Ionity - not sure thats still the case though. Given French wholesale prices have tripled I can't see how any of the charging networks (real or virtual) are not going to get more expensive quickly.