TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Confusion Over Update designation

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by aleagle, Jun 14, 2017.

1. aleagle

aleagle Member

I thought I was pretty computer savvy until I bought my S. The vehicle came with HW2 and Software 8.1. Shortly thereafter, a new "software update" was released, but it wasn't v. 8.2 (or even 8..1.1.1); it was the same ver. no., but the build no. was different. It appears that Tesla software designation is not as straightforward as, say, MacOS or Windows computer software designation. How does Tesla determine their designations? Is it different for HW1 and HW2?
    TIA

2. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

#2 HankLloydRight, Jun 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
    Actually it is just like Windows or MacOS.. except that they don't really show the build numbers, which are just incremental software updates within the same version. In Tesla terms, the versions (8.0, 8.1, etc) are updated about once a year... so once we're on 8.1, we're on it for a quite a while, and all updates during that time are just build number updates.

Consider the Tesla version numbers to be just like "Windows 10" or "Mountain Lion". ;)

Take a look at the Tesla Firmware Upgrade Tracker for a lot of insight into how it works: Tesla Firmware Upgrade Tracker Web App -- you can add your own account and add to the database.

Starting this year, the build number format is: year.week.sequence#

Before that, nobody could really figure out what they were doing.

• Like x 1
  3. SMAlset

SMAlset Member

Actually if you check your iPhone OS's version, you'll see the version number followed by a number/letter group in parenthesis which is the build, so similar.

There is a difference in what is pushed for HW1 and HW2 as HW1 is working off MobileEye technology.